Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For your reading pleasure, here is the 60-Inch Club. It is comprised of Alaska hunters, most from the interior of Alaska, and their moose hunting success stories this year (2017). Enjoy:
http://www.newsminer.com/features/o...bc81dbc-b05d-11e7-82fb-03b76e7dd763.html

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thanks Ray

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yes, thanks for the link. Some big boys.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Didn't put my bull in the paper but I am sure happy with it. After three years in AK I finally got serious about moose hunting and it payed off well. 61" is much better than I expected for my first moose! Also was blessed with a good caribou a few days later.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
congrats! two very good animals

that first pic, sure doesn't seem like much water flowing under that Woolridge.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering where u were ....ain't seen ya around after randy u an I knocked some beers down !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

A couple of VERY nice animals!

Randy, I wonder if the water flow is a clue that they're stuck on that bar? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed I only mentioned it cause I’ve seen that scenario up close and personal

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I was wondering where u were ....ain't seen ya around after randy u an I knocked some beers down !

I don't get over here to the 24hcf much until the sun heads South so it's been a spell since I've been on. Trying to hold down a job between the weekends is rough when theres so much fun to be had in the bush.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

A couple of VERY nice animals!

Randy, I wonder if the water flow is a clue that they're stuck on that bar? grin

Ed

Thanks for the kind words fellas!

That Wooly wasn't really what I'd consider as stuck, more like slightly delayed. Three big guys and a moose in the boat and my not so expert boat driving got us to that point, but didn't take too long to get her back to a channel.

One time last year on the Tanana I managed to take it to where there wasn't any water flowing under the boat. Took the better part of three hours to float it that time. That was stuck.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol I much prefer slightly delayed over stuck

And yes I know the difference

Happy 4 u highcountry. Looks like a great time

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I heard a story a long time back about a couple-three guys that got their boat stuck, I believe on the Koyukuk.

They found this nice big oxbow that went back a couple miles from the main river, blocked from the river by a beaver dam. The portaged everything over, come-alonged- the boat over, and had a successful hunt, repeating the operation over the dam on the way out.

Deciding there was an easier way to get into the oxbow than what they had first done, they cut some brush and made a ramp/slide where they could jump the boat over the dam without unloading.

I believe that was successful for a year or two, but at some point, they jumped the boat over the dam into a dry oxbow. OOPS! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like the 30-06 and 300 mag are the top choice but all of them good from 308 to 375.

Seems like that is always the case with Jet Boats or 4 wheel drive if you get stuck you are really stuck.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tejano
Looks like the 30-06 and 300 mag are the top choice but all of them good from 308 to 375.

Seems like that is always the case with Jet Boats or 4 wheel drive if you get stuck you are really stuck.

Actually the worst, IMHO, is my airboat. Stick it, and its stuck... and the only typical thing that frees it is another airboat... LOL. But by then we are on dry ground a good ways to boot generally speakign.

Water that the jet boat is sitting in is childs play for an airboat. LOL.

I"m MUCH more careful where I try to go with an airboat these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano

The .30-06, .300WM, and .338WM are the most popular with big game hunters in Alaska. The 7mm Magnum is next, and then the .375H&H, specially by the coastline of Alaska because of the big bears.

Last edited by Ray; 10/24/17.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Lol I much prefer slightly delayed over stuck

And yes I know the difference

Happy 4 u highcountry. Looks like a great time

Thanks! It was an amazing trip!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.