Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 38 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 37 38
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
We will do whatever we can to see Greg taken care of, he had no family to speak of and I'm not sure the legal issue involved but we will do whatever we can. If it takes donations I will post that here. We will definitely have a service at the AZ February get together coming up.

Kent

Kent;
Thanks so much for doing that brother.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
He was divorced, and no children. I just talked to him maybe a month ago or so, no indication of any thing wrong. I know in times past in discussion one of the things on his mind was who would end up with his little spread.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have know Greg for a decade or more. He would come into the store and we would talk about planting crops, welding, guns, dogs, machining, whatever. Greg did not always travel in a straight line and was sometimes hard to follow. Tolerance was not one of his virtues, but once you earned his respect you had it for life. We had a good relationship.

I had (have) a Krag-jorgensen single shot action. My dad had given it to me when I said I wanted to make a single shot 45/70. I showed it to Greg and he badgered me about letting him barrel and chamber it for me. Glad I finally let him do it. I test fired it one day at CCCC's place. Have a nice piece of walnut I got from another friend to make a stock. A work in progress that will someday be completed.

Like him or not, Greg was always being Greg and that made him unique. He enjoyed sharing what he had accomplished and would only ask your opinion if he valued your advice. Not one to mince words, you knew where he stood. He wasn't afraid to tell you to leave the kitchen if you couldn't stand the fire. He broke the mold after he made Greg!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Besides having Crossfire get on your ass was a right of passage. 😉

Yep, he welcomed me here with a solid ball busting,,,I took it, and he accepted my explanation with "well we'll see how this plays out, I'll be watching you"... smile

I respected it, he shot straight and didn't like any lying or BS...Old school, they don't make em like that anymore.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Crap. Some real salt has left the meal.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had not met crossfireoops, conversed, good bad or otherwise. But I always looked forward to what he had to say and the projects he posted. Now he's the stuff of legend.

There's something to be said about a man and his dog departing this world together. It seems he would've wanted it that way. I wish them both Godspeed.

cf

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by krp
We will do whatever we can to see Greg taken care of, he had no family to speak of and I'm not sure the legal issue involved but we will do whatever we can. If it takes donations I will post that here. We will definitely have a service at the AZ February get together coming up.

Kent

Please make sure that gathering is stickied here. I might haul my fat ass down there for that. Been thinking about making a SW gathering but never nutted up.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Damn. What a loss. Greg was a colorful character and a straight shooter.

RIP Greg and Gracie.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
Dennis just called me, I can't believe this, no way, holy chit.

Greg was my friend, I promised to take care of Gracie if anything happened to him.

First time I pulled into Greg's place he walked out on the porch and I yelled pig'[bleep], he flipped me off, I walked up the steps and we gave each other a big hug.

Damn I'm going to miss him.

I have to digest this for a bit.

Kent

kent, i believe he had a younger dog along with gracie

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
RIP Sir..

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
His no having posted in so long, I was afraid this might be the outcome. So sorry to hear. RIP.

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/18/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't suppose it would hurt to describe some of what i knew. I met greg quite a while ago, and he had moved to the sierra vista region with a wife, and that went sideways. We talked an awful lot about the border. What people didn't know really he at one time spent a lot of time in south america, and i remember a picture album of people in mexico he was close to.
Life was not easy on him, and he had to scrabble i think to make things go.
he ended up with a lot in the desert really, moved an ol 12wide trailer on it and was constantly improving things. He was a wizzard at that, from his garden area, fruit trees, solar, just a whizz at making things, and he really made a little garden spot out of it my opinion.
We use to talk a lot about his mother, as i had been in a similar situation taking care of my mother. I met her a number of times and she was quite the lady. He by far did the honorable thing with her.
I seem to remember some discussion about what would happen to his place if he went, as i don't think there was anyone around.
Our relationship wasn't always easy, as neither one of us is easy to be around all the time, but we got along for a lot of years.
He had expanded his little farm i believe to goats, rabbits, and some other stuff. Be a shame to see it go back into the desert.
He had a real talent with black powder metallic weapons. I think one of the first times i met him years ago was at three points at a shooting competition for that event.
My wife liked him, which is saying quite a bit. I will have to tell her shortly of this.
First time greg met her, danged if he didn't bow down and kiss her hand. Kind of impressive really.
I am tempted to drive down there, but i don't know if anything i could do at this point.
the more i think of this, the more i can only say, damn, just damn. Not something i wanted to hear.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/18/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Schit.

My sentiments exactly.

I was worried about this when that other thread popped up a bit back.

I have a fondness for cantankerous old dudes, especially knowledgeable ones, perhaps that's why I enjoyed his posts.

You folks that still imbibe.......... tilt one to Greg for me.

Geno

PS, Cross wherever you are I will think of you whenever someone says they have a magical lubricant.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Man was Old School! Never met or corresponded with him but I enjoyed his posts.
Pulled no punches for certain. Fire won't be the same.
RIP Sir from SE Alberta.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'The death of expertise' is an argument that the internet provides a pretender with Google can compete with an actual knowledgeable person. The bystanders and those looking for useful information might not be able to tell the difference - to their loss.

There are a few things I know something about and on those topics I can cull the pretenders. Over the years I came to trust Crossfireoops on many of the topics I could not.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Damm that sucks.

He was a good fellow and a hoot to talk with.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Adios, mis amigos - vaya con Dios!
Hasta luego!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
RIP, I too enjoyed his comments.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
Dennis just called me, I can't believe this, no way, holy chit.

Greg was my friend, I promised to take care of Gracie if anything happened to him.

First time I pulled into Greg's place he walked out on the porch and I yelled pig'[bleep], he flipped me off, I walked up the steps and we gave each other a big hug.

Damn I'm going to miss him.

I have to digest this for a bit.

Kent

on getting to his gate i usually sat on my horn and flipped him off out of the truck window. kind of a ritual

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 'fire is greatly diminished. Rest in peace my friend.

George

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 8 of 38 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.