Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 38 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 37 38
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very sorry to read this morning that Greg has passed. Always enjoyed his posts. I wish I could do 1/10th what he could do with welding and metal fabrication.

BP-B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kellory
To those who lost a friend, you have my condolences.

(Damn it, now I may have to change my avatar, the other squirrels are laughing at me.)

Change to the one with 2 gi joe dolls with guns standing over a dead squirrel on the side of the road to show a point........

Last edited by renegade50; 10/19/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe

That was a good one. Shame pb no longer working.

He was a talented man. He tore into a few times but would agree too. He pm d me and apologized and offered me assistance in another pm
Nothing wrong with a guy honestly expressing himself.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ribka

Nothing wrong with a guy honestly expressing himself.

You mean like squirrelnut?

I'm sorry for you guys that will miss him.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I heard of Greg's passing on another forum last night. Very sad news, very sad. He was a good man, and a good friend to me over the past 15 years or so.

I never met Greg in person, but we were friends by phone and email. We had a link in the 70's, we both worked in the same small rural place in the 70's, him as a dynamite man for the Exshaw concrete plant & quarry, me as a horse wrangler for the Rafter Six dude ranch and camp counselor for YMCA Camp Chief Hector across the Bow Valley from Exshaw, where he lived for several years. We never formally met, but we both used to drink beer in the Exshaw Legion, so I'm sure we knew each other, at least as nodding acquaintances.

Many years later on the 24HCF we figured that connection out and enjoyed some common reminiscences. We often PM'd for a while there, while I was trying to blow up my Ruger Blackhawk 45's in pursuit of the Ultimate Loudenboomer Pistol Load. It would be a kindness to say he tried to talk me out of my worst excesses, but that would be a lie... he was an enabling sonofagun when it came to heavy loads. I'd call him and tell him of my results, and he'd laugh and tell me to try a couple more grains H110. (He was joking, and knew I knew it... he would never intentionally encourage suicide!)

At one point, as I was launching bigger and heavier particles skyward, we began talking cannons... and that was a topic Greg had more than passing familiarity with. We came down to nearly buying a cannon together... not a mini, but a full size Napoleon he'd found out about but needed a partner to purchase. Problem was we both had room in our garages for it, and we never could resolve the issue of where it would live.

But he did get me into a smaller cannon, one day. Ken Howell was looking for some cash, and had a beautiful reproduction Napoleon the Greg was preparing to auction off on the 'Fire. I called him and asked him how much Ken was looking to get for it, he told me, and I sent him a check for that amount plus a few bucks more. It fires a round ball of 12-gauge diameter.

Tonight I'll fire the little big cannon off at sunset in memory of both our departed friends, Greg, and Ken. Vaya con Dios, hermano mio.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Catch you down the trail, friend.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang. Opened this looking forward to seeing something he was doing, a visit someone had with him, or something about Gracie. Sorry to read this.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Cross AND Gracie? What the hell happened?

Murder/suicide wouldn't surprise me. The interactions I had with Greg via PM and on the forum were very negative, he was a loudmouthed [bleep] with an anger problem.

I have read this thread from front to back now, and this disgusting statement by squirrelnut has earned him my second-ever 24HCF ignore. What an azzhole.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to read about this today. Cross will be missed. I will miss reading about his adventures.
Some of the younger posters here on the Fire haven’t realized we are all headed towards death. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Many a time I've doubted what some poser said here but admittedly lacked subject knowledge only to have Greg jump in and call them on their nonsense or simply set the record straight. Condolences to those that really knew him. I will miss his presence here.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sorry to hear this. My condolences to family and grieving members of the various forums that cross frequented.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 45_100
I have know Greg for a decade or more. He would come into the store and we would talk about planting crops, welding, guns, dogs, machining, whatever. Greg did not always travel in a straight line and was sometimes hard to follow. Tolerance was not one of his virtues, but once you earned his respect you had it for life. We had a good relationship.

I had (have) a Krag-jorgensen single shot action. My dad had given it to me when I said I wanted to make a single shot 45/70. I showed it to Greg and he badgered me about letting him barrel and chamber it for me. Glad I finally let him do it. I test fired it one day at CCCC's place. Have a nice piece of walnut I got from another friend to make a stock. A work in progress that will someday be completed.

Like him or not, Greg was always being Greg and that made him unique. He enjoyed sharing what he had accomplished and would only ask your opinion if he valued your advice. Not one to mince words, you knew where he stood. He wasn't afraid to tell you to leave the kitchen if you couldn't stand the fire. He broke the mold after he made Greg!

you mention the store, were you the one he was thinking of setting up a gunsmithing operation with?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Guys, out of respect for Greg, please refrain from responding to, and especially, quoting Squirrelnut.

Anyone who would do what he is doing is not worthy of replies nor any attention.

Thank you,
Ed

I have VERY few members on ignore -- Squirrelnut is now one of them.

My heart sank when I read the bad news about Greg. RIP man -- a real man.

John

I agree, do not give it the attention is so wants..

I did not know Greg but know the type, my Grandfather was one in the same. I miss him every day.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, just logged in to see this. RIP

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well, Ma used to say that if you cant say something nice, shut yer gawtdamn mouth.

Did not know the man, he probably yelled at me a few times during my short time here.....I just cant recall them.

RIP

I think it says a lot about a place, or a group of people, that would take the time to check in on an internet friend or acquaintance if they have not heard from him in a while.

Pretty comforting really.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Murder/suicide wouldn't surprise me. The interactions I had with Greg via PM and on the forum were very negative, he was a loudmouthed [bleep] with an anger problem.

Screw you, Greg was an azzhole. I don't mourn his passing.

LOL.

That old fool Greg was nothing but an old man with a keyboard.

Conduct is often the best indicator of character.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
...I sure hope someone can bury Gracie with the respect that Greg would have wanted too...

If there's anything I can do, I'll sure do it.

Same here. Have truck, will travel...

Ed

if we can find out more information today, hopefully that can be done. it's on my mind along with the other animals.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well, Ma used to say that if you cant say something nice, shut yer gawtdamn mouth.

Did not know the man, he probably yelled at me a few times during my short time here.....I just cant recall them.

RIP

I think it says a lot about a place, or a group of people, that would take the time to check in on an internet friend or acquaintance if they have not heard from him in a while.

Pretty comforting really.

I told me wife what she needs to do to keep getting my pension if I should die tomorrow.

1) Throw my body in pond

2) Logon to the 'Fire at least twice a week and post 'Blow me' in a few threads.

3) Repeat 2 for years and years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am not positive but I think the rifle he built for my dad would have been one of his last complete builds. I know that rifle has just moved up another notch in my mind as a family heirloom and as it is handed down the story of its build and Greg will follow with it.

For any interested that may not have saw the talent and creativity Greg took to building something special I am posting the thread. Hopefully Photo bucket will cooperate.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8815281/1

Jim Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Cross AND Gracie? What the hell happened?

Squirrelnut,

Cross was a decent man living in an indecent world.

He did not suffer fools gladly, nor did he sell out his morals and values for anything, or anyone.

To truly know Cross was to know his heart.

He stood for all that was good and decent in a man.

He loved his country, he loved his friends, he loved his Mom, he loved Gracie, he loved them all beyond compare.

He did nothing that brought about shame or dishonour to you.

You truly know nothing about Cross, nor his life, yet your words seek to bring shame and dishonour to him and his memory.

You judged Cross in his hour of death, and in that, you brought shame and dishonour unto yourself.

Lynn

lynn,
i knew you were a friend of his, and from what you wrote, you could see in his heart. He did love the ones you mentioned.

Page 14 of 38 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.