Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I recently purchased a used 600 in .308 for a "project" this winter. The price was right; it was pretty much original except for missing the rear sight and being "cut" at normal LOP for a ventilated pad (which it probably needs!)

I found a rear sight, minus the "correct" screws, for a very reasonable price AND found a synthetic stock (??? Brown vs MPI) as well! The synthetic stock makes this a pretty slick, fast handling, light-weight carbine. I am actually kind of excited!!!

Here is the question. The "synthetic" is set up for a 700 ADL trigger guard in contrast to the "factory" nylon set up for the wood stock. Easy enough, but the factory 600 rear trigger guard screw is quite a bit smaller in diameter than a 700 ADL rear screw (both in diameter of the shank as well as the head size). One option is re-drilling and tapping the rear of the 600 action to accommodate a larger 700 rear trigger guard screw versus having a machinist make me a little washer "adaptor" to "fit" the smaller 600 rear action screw to the 700 ADL trigger guard hole. The one benefit of the latter would be that I could still use both stocks if I wanted to. Another option would be if they made an "undrilled" ADL trigger guard that I could drill to fit the factory 600 rear screw... don't even know if this option exists.

Hope this makes sense. Any "Campfire wisdom" or other recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Thanks! Todd

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Todd, A CNC built trigger guard for the 600 is or was available. You might do a search. I did drill and tapped my Grandson's 600 for the 1/4"x28 thread.

Try this-https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2637010/all/F_S_aluminum_Trigger_guard_for

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I found one of those CNC'd guards I bought long ago for a Remington 600 that I have no use for if you are interested. I don't know that they are still available....haven't looked however. Mine was rebarreled and put into a McMillan Mt Rifle pattern stock......with an ADL triggerguard turned backwards. Small screw fit just fine then. Does leave an empty screw hole that I was going to epoxy a head into but have never done so. I'll try and post some pics. I've always wanted to have the thing cerakoated but never have.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
CVMW makes the best replacement 600/660 bottom metal.

Willie Manning
Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-396-6246

New CNC machined replacement trigger guard for Remington 600
Anodized matte black
$75.00 Plus $9.99 shipping and handling.
Satisfaction guarantied or your money back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lundtroller
I recently purchased a used 600 in .308 for a "project" this winter. The price was right; it was pretty much original except for missing the rear sight and being "cut" at normal LOP for a ventilated pad (which it probably needs!)

I found a rear sight, minus the "correct" screws, for a very reasonable price AND found a synthetic stock (??? Brown vs MPI) as well! The synthetic stock makes this a pretty slick, fast handling, light-weight carbine. I am actually kind of excited!!!

Here is the question. The "synthetic" is set up for a 700 ADL trigger guard in contrast to the "factory" nylon set up for the wood stock. Easy enough, but the factory 600 rear trigger guard screw is quite a bit smaller in diameter than a 700 ADL rear screw (both in diameter of the shank as well as the head size). One option is re-drilling and tapping the rear of the 600 action to accommodate a larger 700 rear trigger guard screw versus having a machinist make me a little washer "adaptor" to "fit" the smaller 600 rear action screw to the 700 ADL trigger guard hole. The one benefit of the latter would be that I could still use both stocks if I wanted to. Another option would be if they made an "undrilled" ADL trigger guard that I could drill to fit the factory 600 rear screw... don't even know if this option exists.

Hope this makes sense. Any "Campfire wisdom" or other recommendations would be appreciated!!!

Thanks! Todd

I had my 660 drilled for the 700 rear screw, as my new stock was cut for the ADL guard. I wound up using a Holland guard with no front screw hole. Works great. I also considered the washer trick like you are thinking about. It would be a good way to retain the ability to use your wood stock and factory style bottom metal.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks guys for the replies!!! Just got caught up on the Crossfireloops thread and was thinking how much I benefit as well from all of the collective knowledge and experience out there on the 'fire.

My nylon original bottom "metal" is still OK and not warped. It will still work for now if I want to use the wood stock. I have seen the alloy and steel ones available... they look nice and will be considered if ever necessary! Right now though, I am thinking the rifle is going to be a lot nicer to shoot with the ?Brown/MPI stock that I obtained wrt recoil. The synthetics sure seem to me to soak up a bit more of the recoil! In the field I never notice it, but I must admit that I do on the bench.

So yeah, what I am dealing with now is finding the best way to deal with the 700 ADL trigger guard and the 600 trigger and rear action screw. Once again, thanks for the thoughts as they reinforce mine as well (limited as it might be!) JPro, nice to know about the Holland guard... I will try to get a little info on that! I also wondered if I could "reverse" the regular ADL guard using the original action screw in the rear and then finely epoxying a thin piece of steel plate in the bottom of the mag box inlet and drill and tap it for the front screw (custom) of the guard. Perhaps the same (maybe easier) could be done to the original mag box directly?

I'll play with it a little! Thankfully it is just a "fun" project on a cool little rifle in need of no rush!!!

Todd

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My phone number has changed
It is 541 - 260 - 6246
My email address is the same; cvmwearthlink.net
They are still available for $85.00 to any door in the U.S
Ad $25.00 for international shipping.

Thanks 260remguy for your continued support.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

Willie, smile
541-260-6246
[email protected]

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here (if all goes well!) is a picture of the guard.

[Linked Image]

... and a free bump! :-)

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Willie's one-piece alloy unit is the cat's jammies, IMHO.

FWIW, I checked with McM and if you specify an alloy or steel one-piece floorplate/triggerguard, they WILL inlet their stocks for that bottom metal, and you'll not be 'stuck' with ADL triggerguard woes. MPI will do the same.

Originally Posted by jpb
Here (if all goes well!) is a picture of the guard.

[Linked Image]

... and a free bump! :-)

John

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks gentlemen!

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

Willie, smile
541-260-6246
[email protected]

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a an aluminum trigger guard from Willie a number of years ago. It is a perfect fit and well crafted. The only problem I encountered was the guard screw was not long enough and I couldn't find a replacement. I had to make a new screw- good thing I have a lathe!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be ordering another after the new year and the gun fund is replenished to go on a Rem 660 that is going to be rebored to 358 Win.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 65 invisible), 3,228 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.