-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a Savage 111 bolt gun and i am looking to replace the synthetic stock. I would like to stay at or under $300 and I would prefer something that is drop in and won't have to be bedded, etc. I got the gun used from a guy for $200 who said it wasn't grouping and after a new trigger and some load development it is a shooter so I figure it is worth a stock upgrade. Any suggestions are appreciated

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
$300 is tough at least you have a long action, your best bet would be a Bell & Carlson Medalist. It'll probably take some fitting to get the barreled action into the stock properly, and I'd recommend bedding it even though it has the bedding block. The B&C is a decent stock for the money and I wish they'd offer the Medalist for the short action Savage, but I haven't ever had one that didn't require fitting. It really depends on what Savage rifle you have, is it stagger or centerfeed, top or bottom bolt release, and detachable or blind magazine. The only thing that hasn't changed in all generations of the 110/111 action is the screw spacing, that's why you have better options for a sporter style stock than if you had a short action. If it is bottom bolt release or detachable magazine the Medalist probably isn't the stock for you.

If you aren't opposed to laminated wood stocks, Stocky's Stocks and Boyd's Gunstocks both fit in your budget and might require fitting. I haven't used either stocks on a rifle so I don't know how drop in they are, and I'd still bed them.

If you want a true drop in stock, then you're better off putting the extra money into a McMillan or Manners stock. You could also talk to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gunstocks for a money saver stock that you'll have to finish for under $300. However, if McMillan or Manners wait times have you turned off I've heard it takes Kevin even longer to build a stock. I imagine Kevin's stocks are pretty much drop in as he specializes in Savage rifles, but I've never used one either.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info and I will check out some of the suggestions. I hasn't heard of Stockade it they look interesting so I will give Kevin a call

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Numrich, aka gunparts.com, has a wide variety of new and used stocks.

Here's a checkered walnut stock for $82.75.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1476620H
[Linked Image]

OOPS! That ones out of stock. Here's the link to all the stocks for the 111.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=Savage%20111%20stock

Last edited by DollarShort; 10/18/17. Reason: Added photo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In addition to the above I would run an add in the classified here for a take off stock. The Savage is so popular and has so many options someone is bound to have an extra stock. I had one for years even though the rifle got stolen. Price will vary but many should be available in the $50-100 range.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The stock that is on it is better than most anything under $500. Why spend money for a downgrade.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JMR40
The stock that is on it is better than most anything under $500. Why spend money for a downgrade.

This is why I haven't pulled the trigger on a new one. If this is true then I can make better use of my funds

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If you have it shooting well I'd leave it alone. There are a few guys on here that will paint it for you. Search stock painting. Look up darrenk75b, it seems like he has a few happy customers on here.
Here's an old thread that I had saved. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4435621/all

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.