Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My son was doing some research for a paper he is doing on his college courses...

It had to do with safe communities....one of his on line sources is www.neighborhoodscout.com

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/

So since dope has been legalized and I am told by campfire "experts" in the subject, that
it is a victimless crime....and they have to be correct...knowing more than the rest of us...

This source has to be wrong....

The largest amount of "legalized" grows in Oregon is Jackson County... Medford... with 3500 legalized grows

the Second largest is Josephine County... Grants Pass.. with 3000 plus legalized grows...

Well According to "Neigborhood Scout"...

Grants Pass, ranked 4% safer than other American Cities....on the same level as Detroit...
which compares with some cities in the Middle East....same rating as say Ferguson MO...

East St Louis is at an index of 3.....

Then let's look at Medford OR....their crime index was only 2%.. with 98% of the cities in the USA
listed as safer....

Compare that to oh say Compton...their crime index is 15.. so 85% of American cities are listed as safer....

East LA is indexed at 19, so 81 % of US communities are safer...

The crime level was pretty darn low when my family moved here... especially Medford...

But this has skyrocketed since the legalization of Dope...

But then once again, we need to keep repeating to ourselves here...

ITS A VICTIMLESS CRIME... soon we'll delude ourselves into thinking that,
just like the active dope smokers convinced themselves of decades ago...

well at least for right now, we are safer than the District of Columbia and Baltimore...

Most other towns with low scores happen to have a large Afro Crowd...something we don't have..

ours are just gangs, Mexicans and Trailer Park Trash...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Dope franchises. Sounds good to me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ask any cop or anyone else connected to law enforcement, or the judicial system......who will speak the truth.....and they will tell you that drugs, and that includes marijuana, are the reason that the biggest percentage of crimes are committed. Now, I know that those who believe that it is harmless for a person to smoke a joint now and then, and get all fuzzy feeling, will tell you that it's harmless......but those people who do that are merely a drop in the bucket when compared to those who are habitual drug users, and will do whatever they deem necessary to obtain their supply of drugs.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we adopted really strict drug laws....bullet in the head type justice...for mere possession....same justice for doctors who allow their patients to become addicted...while we're at it, let's outlaw alcohol and tobacco because I have no doubt those two are responsible for more deaths than all other drugs combined.......I mean...we all wanna be safe right??? We want the govt. to protect us right???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we adopted really strict drug laws....bullet in the head type justice

May sound cruel to you, but it would definitely solve one hell of a lot of society's problems.

Eat moose, burn spruce
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One good thing about Oregon's pot legalization...a lot of druggies have left Idaho & moved to Oregon.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Add my name to the list of drug haters.

LOL
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Middlefork, I have little sympathy for the addict and absolutely none for the dealer. But you have to ask yourself why are so many people doing drugs in the first place?
Does incarcerating people arrested for possession really help the problem or just pack the jails? How do we as a society teach people they CAN take control of their circumstances? Alternatively, how does a society teach people their actions DO carry consequences?

I think the combination of personal responsibility and the risk of dire consequences hold the key.

Heck, I'm just the veterinarian, not a sociologist.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
You think all that pot they grow stays in Oregon? The War on Drugs has made pot very valuable. If pot was actually legal everywhere like it was once was there would be no pot dealers or farmers, they wouldn't be necessary. Maybe the Mexican cartels will wipe out the competition in Oregon for you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pittu
It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we adopted really strict drug laws....bullet in the head type justice

May sound cruel to you, but it would definitely solve one hell of a lot of society's problems.

Good news is there a quite a few countries that practice just that sort of justice. They are all heavily religious as well.

Great places.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Blaming drugs is akin to blaming guns. It's stupid.

The problem ain't weed, it's not alcohol, it's not Obama, nor is it muslims. It's your neighbors. Get rid of weed (never happen), and you're still stuck with your neighbors.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You seem to be suggesting that addiction or even consumption of mind altering drugs has no effect on folks behavior. Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? I think many on this thread are very skeptical, me included.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i think the point being made is that people that over indulge in drugs, alcohol, etc. can cause endless problems. was it the drugs or the people that abused the drugs?

similarly, guns don't kill people. people kill people. but, it's a hard sell to get people to accept the reality of these truths. city people tend to believe that guns kill people. and then they'll point to the gun in the killer's hand as living proof of their contention. so, the story goes on.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by achadwick
You seem to be suggesting that addiction or even consumption of mind altering drugs has no effect on folks behavior. Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? I think many on this thread are very skeptical, me included.

It all affects behavior. The consumption of ANYTHING will alter your internal chemistry and your brain chemistry. Those are facts. That people choose to demonize one set of substances, but refuse to address others, tells me they have not bothered to reason out what the causes are for behaviors at all. They just want to blame and ban something, just like the left does. Does it ever work? NO. And it leads to mass-murder and genocide every single fuucking time. Learn how to think. Weed doesn't commit crimes. People do. Why? That's what you want to know. And it seems like you want to blame a group of substances for altering behavior, but that isn't how the foundations of this society were built. They were built on personal freedom and personal responsibility, neither of which have anything to do with law, or substances of any sort.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oregon... the state of victimhood.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a neighbor pass away last year, he was 53. He'd smoked pot since he was kid. Typical example of a drug fried brain. Couldn't say a complete sentence without a "duh" and a "uh" in it. He had medical problems and the doctor told him......no drugs or alcohol with your medicine. Didn't listen. Family tells everybody he had a "reaction" to his meds. Yeah, he reacted alright.....by not paying attention to what the doctor told him, and it cost him his life.

That describes a lot of the drug users. Many of them are simply so far out there, that they are either unable, or unwilling, to comprehend that what they are doing is dangerous to themselves, not to mention others.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

You need a new by line Trav...

Like BotHell.. the city for fat lazy, head up their ass, techno geeks...

Sure you toke up regularly....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if we adopted really strict drug laws....bullet in the head type justice...for mere possession....same justice for doctors who allow their patients to become addicted...while we're at it, let's outlaw alcohol and tobacco because I have no doubt those two are responsible for more deaths than all other drugs combined.......I mean...we all wanna be safe right??? We want the govt. to protect us right???

Nay.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ain't we been here before? Is there a link between higher populations that came to use the legal drugs, and crime?? Probably, but there is also an increase in crime in any boom town. When they bult Hoover dam the town didn't allow alcohol, for a reason. What about correlating crime and the availability of good jobs, affordable rent, women and other variables.

People keep lumping pot in with heroin, meth, and other dangerous drugs. I still see the biggest problem to be abuse of alcohol. While I don't like tobacco, I can't say I have seen any different behavior on it.

As for docs making people addicts, you have either never had chronic pain (the kind where you leterally can't see or talk), or can grit your teeth and work tdhrough it. I wonder about the programs they have to work against addiction to oxycodone when the programs are aimed at people when they get out of jail. My wife never has been or will be in jail, and she suffers from hard to treat continous pain.

Can we link community safety to "no guns", a 5 mph speed limit, no swimming in rivers?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

You need a new by line Trav...

Like BotHell.. the city for fat lazy, head up their ass, techno geeks...

Sure you toke up regularly....

It sure must suck to be a victim all the time.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.