-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My thanks to Dan and Kent for taking on distasteful tasks. You're good men.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No....pretty sure it was 30-30. I read it twice.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hope he had some family somewhere that are reasonable.

I am MAGA.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kent, thank you for engaging this locally. Don't know what else to say at the moment. This path has not been my happiest adventure by a long shot and I'm very poorly located to get directly involved. Not much slows me down, but a couple of time zones and not knowing the local turf is an obstacle.

For what it may be worth, after I called the CCSO and made the request for a wellness check I received a call from the responding deputy. He asked questions about Greg, his routines, vehicle description etc. He was in a bit of a quandary about entering the property as the gate was locked and there is a no trespassing sign. It was about then that Nip came out to great him and apparently the pup was a bit overjoyed. She whined and made stressed dog sounds is the best way I can describe it. Greg's truck was visible and the deputy sounded some sort of loud buzzing horn several times w/o response. I told him to do what he thought best and let him make the call.

He went over the gate with his mic still hot. A few grunts and such, then Nip was all over him, apparently trying to jump up into his arms. He soothed her a bit and eventually I heard him pounding on the door. No response. I asked him if there was any dog food or water outside and he responded that the food bowl was empty and there was a very small amount of water left. He then told me he would call me back, that he was going to search the premises and look thru the windows where he could.

It was about 30-45 minutes later than he called back and told me that Greg had passed. I heard other officers on scene in the background and it was clear from his voice tone that he was a bit stressed, and I did not understand him the first time he told me Greg had passed. He repeated that and told me that Gracie was gone as well, then offered condolences for my loss.

He was an example of one of our finest doing a hard thing well. A salute to him and a farewell to two of my favorites.

With any luck I won't have to do this again. It cut to the core.

Dan

Dan that was a hard read, I truly appreciate you.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Again Greg said he only had a nephew for kin left, he didn't really have contact with him. Hopefully going through his papers they can find him.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by krp
Again Greg said he only had a nephew for kin left, he didn't really have contact with him. Hopefully going through his papers they can find him.

Kent

Would a genealogy web site be helpful?

I'm not into that stuff, but some are. It might produce a lead.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a challenging day dealing with other problems, but was able to get some info that may be helpful. A couple of things in here may be redundant to info posted by others - apology for that, but it shouldn't hurt.

Through the cooperation of some local officials, information here is responsive to those who have expressed concerns about Greg's second dog, and his rabbits. The dog was OK and has been relocated to a nearby shelter. If any among you would like to adopt the dog or know someone who would like to do so, one probably can manage a way to do that. (Looks like Ron has info on this). Gracie is still in the house - not sure what can be done there, but would like to follow up.

The rabbits are OK and have been given to a nearby agricultural family.

Apparently Greg had been deceased for some time. Any findings regarding time and cause will come only from the medical examiners report – this could take as much as two or three weeks. It appears that an official fiduciary will deal with all of Greg's personal property according to legal requirements.

As for supportive action with Greg's remains and any related events of respect, there may be opportunity for Campfire folks in this regard. Officials must first attempt to contact any identifiable relatives in the event that they wish to take care of such matters. If that effort does not result in success, it appears that his Campfire friends would be able to do this and officials are aware of this interest. Some mortuary fees probably would need to be paid, but that aspect is not yet well defined. If this opportunity develops, Kent, I and others will do our best for all who might wish to participate with such a remembrance activity.

Hoping this is helpful. Some details are not of interest to me, but will try to learn and pass along anything relevant and proper.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Possibly, I wouldn't know. Goodnight Mike, this has hit us harder than we imagined, but us desert rats will see it gets done right that's no doubt.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kent, thank you for engaging this locally. Don't know what else to say at the moment. This path has not been my happiest adventure by a long shot and I'm very poorly located to get directly involved. Not much slows me down, but a couple of time zones and not knowing the local turf is an obstacle.

For what it may be worth, after I called the CCSO and made the request for a wellness check I received a call from the responding deputy. He asked questions about Greg, his routines, vehicle description etc. He was in a bit of a quandary about entering the property as the gate was locked and there is a no trespassing sign. It was about then that Nip came out to great him and apparently the pup was a bit overjoyed. She whined and made stressed dog sounds is the best way I can describe it. Greg's truck was visible and the deputy sounded some sort of loud buzzing horn several times w/o response. I told him to do what he thought best and let him make the call.

He went over the gate with his mic still hot. A few grunts and such, then Nip was all over him, apparently trying to jump up into his arms. He soothed her a bit and eventually I heard him pounding on the door. No response. I asked him if there was any dog food or water outside and he responded that the food bowl was empty and there was a very small amount of water left. He then told me he would call me back, that he was going to search the premises and look thru the windows where he could.

It was about 30-45 minutes later than he called back and told me that Greg had passed. I heard other officers on scene in the background and it was clear from his voice tone that he was a bit stressed, and I did not understand him the first time he told me Greg had passed. He repeated that and told me that Gracie was gone as well, then offered condolences for my loss.

He was an example of one of our finest doing a hard thing well. A salute to him and a farewell to two of my favorites.

With any luck I won't have to do this again. It cut to the core.

Dan

How did I miss this post?

Dam....just dam!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Would a genealogy web site be helpful?

I'm not into that stuff, but some are. It might produce a lead.

I doubt it.

I hired a guy three years ago to find my biological mother and brother.......still nothing.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Yes, I was told family search first, then friends, if no one takes responsibility then the county will take care of the issue... it won't get to the county, we are in line as second.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
May Greg and Gracie rest in peace. They will be missed.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Might be sentimental but if Gracie is still in the trailer has anyone thought about having her cremated and buried with Greg... seeing as they were so close. I've had both my Taffy and Cinnamon done that way and will be taking them with me when I go. Cost about $150 to $200 here. Just my thought of paying respect to Greg,

Dan, your call when you did probably saved the life of the pup, would imagine Greg is thanking you for that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am covering some bases regarding Nip. I spoke the woman from animal control tonight, and the dog is safe and not going anywhere for now. My family will foster her until a forever home is found. We are working on figuring when we can get her. The shelter would like to do a vet check even though she is in pretty good shape.
Okie I will give you a call tomorrow(Friday). I would love for her to go your place, and it's a far better fit in the long run than our suburban house. We are more than happy to hold her until she can be picked up.
Thanks everyone,
Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by saddlering
The Movie was Death Hunt was about the Mad Trapper of Rat River! he carried a break down savage 99 rifle! chambered in 30-30

One of my favorite books. I'll have to look for that movie.

Oh, cool. I did not know it was a book first.

Very good book I first read in the '60s... the Mad Trapper of Rat River... it was a huge manhunt and the first to use an airplane to track a guy down. In reality there is no evidence he did anything wrong before the Mounties surrounded him in his cabin and blew it up. And after that he was likely deaf.

Another trapper had claimed he was breaking some law (s) but there was never any proof. They ran him down and shot him, but the physical things he did to get away were astounding.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
As for Squirrlenut, objectively I find it funny in a way that all will acknowledge Greg was cantankerous but none find it acceptable that just one man is vocal about his dislike for the man.

Time and Place FB, Time and place.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Animals can be shipped by air transport, or there are vollenteers who work with shelters to move animals across the country in thier own vehicles. (My aunt and uncle do this). Often times, an animal gets moved in shifts by several volunteers, and spends a night or a week with folks in route. (We do this). All to get folks and pets together.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So sad to read this. We lost another good man. Will there be a collection taken up for helping out with expenses? If so, please post here so we can donate to the cause. I always enjoyed reading his posts. He was a good no nonsense man. As for Squirrelnut-he should have kept the very big hole in the front of his head shut.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It might be helpful if someone described Nip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by okie
Sad news all around and we had talked of meeting to "talk shop" but now that will never come to pass...

However Teri and I will be moving our son-in-law to Ft. Irwin early in November (tenth) and will be passing back through Arizona on our way home. Long story short Nip has a home here on the farm with us if one is not found before we come through. Let us know guys or anything else we may be able to help with...Dana and Teri Estes 940-631-2825

I
I believe the doggie has been taken to a nearby animal shelter. If you call the Sheriff's office (the number is here somewhere on this thread), they might point you in the right direction. If I wasn't so far, I'd go get him and adopt him myself.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 44mc, 300jimmy, 41rem, 14 invisible), 1,233 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.