Print Thread
Hop To
N
nick54 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I have a new to me vanguard which needs a 6-48 scope base hole cleaned up. I can't get a screw to properly thread without force. I have taper tap, bottom tap and plug tap. I appreciate any advice

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bottoming tap.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If the hole is a through hole, any of them will work. Blind hole takes a bottom tap as already said.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Use a plug tap from which the point has been ground off, that will get you to within 2-3 threads from the bottom of the hole then you can complete tapping with the bottom tap. You need the lead of the plug tap to reduce the pressure it takes to turn the tap thus less danger of breaking the tap. The bottom tap has the least lead of the three and is meant to complete the threads from the lead of the plug tap. In nearly 40yrs. as a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker I did all my tapping with plug and bottom taps, never used a taper tap. In most instances with a taper tap especially tapping blind scope mount holes there is too much lead to allow getting a proper start and you run the risk of stripping the first thread. Anytime you have to force anything that is telling you to STOP there is something wrong, continuing will break the tap, strip the thread or damage the screw. Taps are inexpensive enough versus the cost of removing a broken tap that I nearly always started with a new tap. You can feel the difference in the amount of pressure required with a new tap vs. a used tap. Brownell's sells a tap they call their "premium" tap, the tap is manufactured by Reiff & Nestor a company that has been in business since 1908. R&N has a reputation for producing the best tap in the industry, this due to the fact that they control the tooth to tooth spacing on their taps to a closer tolerance than any other manufacturer in the industry. Try one and you will see the dramatic difference in reduction of effort required to tap a hole. I won't tell you I don't remember ever breaking an R&N tap, but their were very few instances. Some of the parts I made required tapping 80-100 #0-80 holes in stainless steel, I didn't even consider using anything other than an R&N tap.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Use a plug tap from which the point has been ground off, that will get you to within 2-3 threads from the bottom of the hole then you can complete tapping with the bottom tap. You need the lead of the plug tap to reduce the pressure it takes to turn the tap thus less danger of breaking the tap. The bottom tap has the least lead of the three and is meant to complete the threads from the lead of the plug tap. In nearly 40yrs. as a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker I did all my tapping with plug and bottom taps, never used a taper tap. In most instances with a taper tap especially tapping blind scope mount holes there is too much lead to allow getting a proper start and you run the risk of stripping the first thread. Anytime you have to force anything that is telling you to STOP there is something wrong, continuing will break the tap, strip the thread or damage the screw. Taps are inexpensive enough versus the cost of removing a broken tap that I nearly always started with a new tap. You can feel the difference in the amount of pressure required with a new tap vs. a used tap. Brownell's sells a tap they call their "premium" tap, the tap is manufactured by Reiff & Nestor a company that has been in business since 1908. R&N has a reputation for producing the best tap in the industry, this due to the fact that they control the tooth to tooth spacing on their taps to a closer tolerance than any other manufacturer in the industry. Try one and you will see the dramatic difference in reduction of effort required to tap a hole. I won't tell you I don't remember ever breaking an R&N tap, but their were very few instances. Some of the parts I made required tapping 80-100 #0-80 holes in stainless steel, I didn't even consider using anything other than an R&N tap.

NO way I could have said it all better myself... Kudos re: that post... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I learned a thing or two in 40 years, prolly D&T thousands of holes over that time period. Not only doing my own work in the Toolroom but designing and building machines for production quantity tapping on the manufacturing floor.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gunswizard

NO way I could have said it all better myself... Kudos re: that post... smile
this again

N
nick54 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thank you gentlemen for the advice. All taps are brand new, so I hope all works out......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would this be a good job for a thread chaser? If you could find one in that size...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A thread chaser is normally used for the screw, unless you are talking about a tap for that

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, but since Howa barrel threads are metric, are the scope mounting holes threaded for the metric equivalent of 6-48?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jkob
A thread chaser is normally used for the screw, unless you are talking about a tap for that

I've made thread chasers out of matching bolts to clean up a threaded hole and they always worked great. However, never made one as small as a 6-48 so not sure how well it would work out. I've always heard using a thread chaser was safer to the threaded hole as it won't screw up the original threads like a tap possibly can.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.