Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I have an old pushfeed model 70 in 30-06 it doesn't get used much anymore but, since it was my first rifle, given to me.by my dad two years before he died I won't part with it. That said in thinking of having a Williams receiver sight and a white bead front sight added and using it in the deep woods.

I would love to see some old school classic rifle pictures like that

In my mind is something like an old griffen &howe or sedgley

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not a G&H or anything fancy but here is my grandfather's M54 in 30Govt. I believe he bought this new and he hunted with it into his 70's when his eye sight began to fail.
[Linked Image]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The problem with more 'modern' rifles and open sights is that they aren't designed for open sight use.

The 54 pictured above has drop/comb height for open sights. I'm guessing you PF is set up for scope use and will suck greatly with open sights.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
This spring a bought a M70 push feed carbine '06 with a Williams peep. It comes up just fine for me with the open sights. I've also had very good results with the featherweight and Supergrade patterns and open sights. You could also send a rifle off to RJ Renner for the kind of makeover you're looking for.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

The comb on mine isn't that high, it has factory iron sights on it and I've unscopef it and played with them a bit.

My thoughts are a Williams style receiver sight and a ramped front sight with barren band

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Also have a Rem 760 in .35 Rem with a receiver sight, and a Savage 99 in .300 Savage with a receiver sight.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gitem_12

The comb on mine isn't that high, it has factory iron sights on it and I've unscopef it and played with them a bit.

My thoughts are a Williams style receiver sight and a ramped front sight with barren band

The NECG banded fronts are easy to rust blue and install yourself with epoxy. I've done several and have another to put on a blued Hawkeye .358.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The problem with more 'modern' rifles and open sights is that they aren't designed for open sight use.

The 54 pictured above has drop/comb height for open sights. I'm guessing you PF is set up for scope use and will suck greatly with open sights.

That's probably true of a Model 70 made today, but a pusher isn't modern enough to have that problem. A lot of guns from that era have a Monte Carlo stock that's a bit too high for irons and a bit too low for a scope.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm a sucker for XS sights and that's how I would roll, assuming they make them for the Winchester.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That's probably true of a Model 70 made today, but a pusher isn't modern enough to have that problem. A lot of guns from that era have a Monte Carlo stock that's a bit too high for irons and a bit too low for a scope.

Okie John

This is often true. It does depend on the shooter though and their physical build. I have a Firearms Int'l .-30-06 built on an FN action. It has open sights but because of the Monte Carlo, I can't get my face down low enough to use them.

[Linked Image]

These JC Higgins have enough drop that you can use the sights:

[Linked Image]

This Husqvarna also has enough drop:

[Linked Image]

but this later model Husqvarna has a stock designed for scope use and acquiring the sights is more difficult:

[Linked Image]

I like the XS Sights too, made one to fit this 8x57 Mauser:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One thing that helps in using "modern" stocks with open sights is to mount higher sights.

Last edited by z1r; 10/20/17.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

This is a good hunting rifle, quick follow up shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This 1903 Springfield is my idea of a classic rifle. It is a 30/06, the rifle points like a finger, and the action is as slick as butter. I haven't been able to come up with anything I want to change on it.

[Linked Image]

Harry
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here is one of mine I will carry some this year. It will not grace the pages of Sports Afield with SDH but shoots good and I find the old 30-40 Krag appealing. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12344075/krag-sporter#comments

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love these old rifles. This thread has some real potential...If people will just show us what they got.

I'm going to be carrying mine is some places I hunt that are fairly thick and the shots will be short. My eyes won't let me stretch one of these out any more. I'm hoping to get a good load going that will fall between a 30/30 and 30/40 with a heavy bullet. It shoots great with a 150 gr factory load, but in close, those just aren't necessary and tear up a lot of good meat.

I have a 1936 Mexican Mauser coming in before long that I hope to turn into a classic. I've been looking around for one for a long time and this one has the looks of a good one to play around with since it has already met Bubba...

Harry
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Z, if you ever decide to sell that 30WCF please let me know. powdr

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd love to find a well done Krag sporter.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by powdr
Z, if you ever decide to sell that 30WCF please let me know. powdr

Will do, but, ain't never gonna happen. It's my favorite non-mauser rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't have any classic American rifles but there's several pre-war Mauser sporters and a 1903 and 1908 Mannlicher/Schoenauer in the toy box. Don't know how they could come any more classic than those. Unfortunately when photojunkit went south so did all my pictures.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.