Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by castnblast
The best ones I've ver used are the Bushnell or B&L Custom compact 7x26 porro prism binoculars. Not waterproof, but very good image quality and easy to use even with glasses. No other compact roof prism binocular that I have tried comes close.

This.

For the money, the Bushnell Porro Prism 7x26 is indeed a really nice binocular.

However I'm not sure I'd call it a "pocket" binocular as it falls into a sort of no-man's-land in between a compact and a mid-sized 30/32mm binocular.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Nikon 8x20 LX as my daughter snagged my 8x20 Victory. They aren't full size but the view when steady is phenomenal! All my other bins are Leica but I paid $299 for the Zeiss and Nikon....never stumbled upon a Leica for that so I have what I have.....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have compact Swarovski in 8X and 10X, and Leica Ultravid in 8x20. I think the Leica is better.

and with leather!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FVA
I am interested in a good pair of binoculars that will fit in my front shirt pocket. I'm thinking Zeiss but curious as to any others that would compare .
Also would be interested in any experiences with pocket-size binoculars as to do they really even have any value. Thanks

I may have responded on this thread before. I am not going to read through it to check. I bought several looking for a good one. I ended with Alpen Wings ED 8X20. They are so good I called the company and talked with the president there. He said, "I designed them for myself. That's why they are so good."

I accidentally dropped them on a concrete floor. I called the company to find out if they would repair them and how much they would charge. They have the exact no fault warranty of several companies now. I returned them and they sent me a brand new binocular despite me wanting to pay.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The compacts are nice to carry. Which is good, because they aren't much good for looking through.......There is a world of difference from 20mm compacts to 30mm semi-compact binos.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Leica Ultravid 8x20 is what I have and they work very well.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have used Zeiss and Leicas and they just were not that useful. They are good for bow hunting or birding mostly if it means you will have binos handy instead of none. The best use is for sports events and concerts. I switched to Leupold Yosemities and although not pocket binoculars they are hardly noticed especially with a nice strap like the Vero Villini. I would recommend something in the 6-8x30 range instead. An objective smaller than 25mm just does no.t work that well for me. As someone said a high end monocular is worth a look these can have a 25-30 mm objective and still be pocket size. Due to less lenses the higher end ones are not that expensive.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends what you want to look at with them. I bought my Swarovski 10x25 B pocket binos when I though every ounce counted when I was walking up a mountain looking for an elk. The FOV is narrow, but the clarity and smaller size is outstanding. Getting the hand eye coordination to use the mini binos takes a bit, but I'm up at the lake right now and those Swarovski's are three feet away from me on the windowsill and my larger Leica 8x32's are home in the drawer. The lifetime warranty on those Swarovski binos is outstanding. I used it once when I wrecked this pair.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
The compacts are nice to carry. Which is good, because they aren't much good for looking through.......There is a world of difference from 20mm compacts to 30mm semi-compact binos.

It appears you lack experience with a nice pocket bino.

Everyday Hunter
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Even some sheep guides are going for the Swaro CL Pocket 8X25s and 10X25s. Optically they are right with the Ultravids and they have a very durable housing. 17 mm of eye relief. People who have not tried them might be in for a surprise if you compare them to many 2nd tier full size binoculars. Everybody seems to go on and on about the Cabelas or the Minox or the Pentax full size binoculars- Those little guys can put them to shame with a dollar test. They have less light gathering than full size optics but they are very good. This year, Swaro looked at what they were delivering in the CLs and changed their name to mountain compacts and increased their price by $300.00.

Last edited by kaboku68; 10/19/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kaboku68 mentioned "less light gathering than full sized optics". I figured I would post some results of some of my binoculars on low light.

They are Alpen wings ED 8X20 pocket model (roof prism), Vortex Raptor 6.5X32 (porroprism), Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (roof prism), and Bushnell Legend Ultra HD ED2 8X42 (roof prism). The 8X20 and the 6.5X32 went down at the same time. I placed them on sand bags and pointed them at the very small deer antlers 131 yards from the porch. I discovered higher magnification allows one to see things longer lower magnification as light dissipates no matter how large the objective lens. The 7X35 lasted ten minutes longer and the 8X42 lasted an additional six minutes.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Hill People Gear Kit Bag makes my Leica or Swarovski 10x42's pocket 'nocs.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried and still carry a Leica 10X25 Trinovid. As a spotting scope was always handy they performed perfectly, my go to bino's on the trapline as well. Always carried id a shirt pocket.

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Even some sheep guides are going for the Swaro CL Pocket 8X25s and 10X25s. Optically they are right with the Ultravids and they have a very durable housing. 17 mm of eye relief. People who have not tried them might be in for a surprise if you compare them to many 2nd tier full size binoculars. Everybody seems to go on and on about the Cabelas or the Minox or the Pentax full size binoculars- Those little guys can put them to shame with a dollar test. They have less light gathering than full size optics but they are very good. This year, Swaro looked at what they were delivering in the CLs and changed their name to mountain compacts and increased their price by $300.00.

I really like my 8x25 CL, but they are not really pocket size. I don't mind the size/performance trade off.

I compared my 8x25 CL to a coworker's 8x25 Terra (made in Japan) and an older 8x30 SLC (not the 'neu') owned by a buddy. Below are my notes, if anyone is interested.

I was able to try the 8x25 CL by Swarovski and the 8x25 Terra by Zeiss today.

They are basically the same physical size with the same FOV and similar weight. The Terra has a plastic body but feels good to hold for such a small bino, with grippy exterior. The eye cups lock in the outer position. The CL exterior is harder and slicker and the eye cups don't lock in any position (but stay where you put them and won't collapse). They do come off without much trouble (threaded alloy), which is really nice. Overall, for feel, I think the Terra is my favorite.

The image in the CL is clear nearly to the edge. In the Terra it drops off but very gradually and you really have to try hard to find it. In normal use, it would never be noticed. Color fringing is the same with both... just a freckle and you really need to look for it. Depth of field seems the same.

Now compared to the 8x30 SLC...

The SLC is definitely easier to use. Bigger eye cups, bigger FOV. More stable, due to mass, but still jitttery. Not that much more stable as I would have guessed though. I thought the biggest advantage was the cups, which do sit against the brow better.

I think the CL has the best resolution, followed very, very closely by the SLC, then the Terra. This is tricky to test though, as the SLC appears to have slightly more magnification than the other two. The image is bigger. Perhaps due to the larger oculars? I don't know the physics behind it. At any rate, there was little if anything that could be seen by one bino that couldn't be seen by another.

Still, very fine detail could be seen with the CL that couldn't with the SLC and Terra but it is really, really hard to find a difference. In one case, the CL and SLC showed twigs in front of an orange cone that was hard to see with the Terra at several hundred yeards. I 'think' the better resolution of the CL showed them, while the bigger image of the SLC also showed them. So, they both got to the same place, but in different ways. The Terra didn't quite get there. But this is really, really nitpicking to the nth degree. At closer ranges, looking for detail, the CL is just every so slightly sharper than the SLC. Again, very hard to detect.

In terms of brightness or light transmission, they seem the same in good or normal overcast ambient light. In the Ops with low light, the SLC was obviously brighter than the other two. If I had to guess, the CL had 95% of the light transmission of the SLC. The Terra would be 92%. In other words, the jump from the CL to the SLC was bigger than the Terra to the CL. New lenses and coatings don't make up for the extry 5mm objective.

Overall, during 'typical use' I had to really work hard to find a difference between the three other than the FOV. I think most people would call it a wash in terms of image. The main difference would be ease of use vs. compactness. Based on cost, the Terra seems like the winner unless that last little bit of resolution or brightness are needed.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/19/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My experience with those same Steiners would certainly let me pay $35 if I found them for that price- but they would likely be a gift to someone who might use them at a concert or youth sports event - not much of a hunting binocular and very finicky.
I was disappointed in this thread I was hoping for here was a great affordable set that was worth owning and using but it sounds like the Yosemite is as cheap and small the forum feels good about, I bought 2 this year.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I understand the desire for small glass. Forty years ago, the Bushnell Custom Compact was the cats meow for shirt pocket glass. They were not cheap by mid 70s standards. My bride gave me one for Christmas, 7x25 I think. They are not weather resistant. None the less, they still hang around for times when my 8x30 SLC is a bit too much. I'm pretty sure they are in my bird shooting bag as I write. Today the small poros are likely the best of the small glass at a more popular price.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I carry swaro 8x20 compacts with my 10 x binoculars and spotting scope for my sheep hunting. The compacts fit in my shiirt pocket

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy truly wants a pocket binocular they are certainly available. No need to compromise and get a larger optic to satisfy this or any other group.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't matter what size the glass is, it is still the quality that counts. If your budget is <$300 you probably won't get much as far as any binoculars go in any size. If you spend the money on the higher end compact binoculars you will probably find them quite useful.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
It doesn't matter what size the glass is, it is still the quality that counts. If your budget is <$300 you probably won't get much as far as any binoculars go in any size. If you spend the money on the higher end compact binoculars you will probably find them quite useful.

When compared side by side the very high dollar binocs were no better than my Alpen Wings 8X20. I have no idea what they cost now, but mine were less than $150.

Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.