Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12336599 10/16/17
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I got to handle a Sig 320 Compact, 9 mm this past week end. I was really impressed with the light trigger pull and ease of racking the slide.

How about some feed back as to pros and cons of them.

Which is more favorable, Carry,Compact, or Sub Compact models? Specs say there is 1.6 ounces difference in weight between the Sub Compact and Carry Model. Length being the only major difference.

MSRP is $679. What could a person reasonably buy one for at a gun outlet. Not on line like GunBroker?

Thanks inadvanced

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if all models of the 320 have this issue. But go to youtube and look at the videos of them firing when dropped a certain way on a hard surface. I'm sure Sig will correct this at some point.

I nearly bought one 6 months ago. They feel good in the hand and the trigger is awesome.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by saddlesore

MSRP is $679. What could a person reasonably buy one for at a gun outlet. Not on line like GunBroker?

I'm not sure what the normal new "going price" is for them, but there's a fairly new 9mm full size on my local gun forum for $480 that's been up for several days with no bites. Maybe that'll give you some indication?

I've got one in 357 Sig but didn't buy it so I'm not sure what they're worth. It does feel good in the hand and shoots really well. I still prefer a Glock but can see how some guys would prefer the 320. My only real complaints against it (compared to a Glock of course) is that it's a bit thicker in the belt and I can't shoot it quite as fast, accurately, but admit that many tens of thousands of rounds through Glocks but not 320s might have something to do with that. whistle
I think they are equal enough in capability that if I'd been shooting the 320 a lot instead of a Glock, my preference would be different.

One other complaint is simply lack of aftermarket support for barrels, recoil springs, etc, and the cost of spare magazines (~$40 each!) although that's probably pretty standard for Sig pistols. I was surprised to discover that there are zero aftermarket options for recoil springs and guide rods for the compact and subcompact 320. Sig used the same springs for the 9mm, 40, and 357, so a common complaint is the 9mm is over-sprung and the others are under-sprung; my 357 Sig is definitely under-sprung with brass ejecting ~30 feet away.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/17/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I don't know if all models of the 320 have this issue. But go to youtube and look at the videos of them firing when dropped a certain way on a hard surface. I'm sure Sig will correct this at some point.

I nearly bought one 6 months ago. They feel good in the hand and the trigger is awesome.

I have been looking at the sig mcx, during the time I have considered it, there has been a bcg upgrade, a trigger upgrade, another upgrade to their internal buffer spring system, and these are the ones that I know of, a friend who owns a gun shop says "there are just so many sku's". You really want to like the company as they offer innovative products, they just cannot seem to get them right until a year or so after the release, and by then they are focused on some other product and the one you bought seems kind of obsolete.

Then I don't know "how good a gun feels in my hand" impacts my shooting. Triggers, many can shoot a bad trigger if its consistent.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I picked one up at specialty sports last year for $570. Unfortunately, mine has only fired when I pulled the trigger. I haven't dropped it yet, so I don't know if that will work, too.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I got to handle a Sig 320 Compact, 9 mm this past week end. I was really impressed with the light trigger pull and ease of racking the slide.

OK, you asked for it. The Sig P320 has a high bore axis, increasing felt "muzzle flip" when fired. Some find this sensation disconcerting, especially those accustomed to the very low bore axis on a Glock (made possible by the absence of a hammer). Whether or not you find it disconcerting, it will slow down your shot to shot time. That's just pure physics. You can't get around it with training.

Now you might be tempted to point out that the hammer's absence or presence has nothing to do with it. Here's why it does: The P320 is a striker fired variation on the Sig P250, which did have a hammer. Instead of starting from scratch, and coming up with a proper striker fired design, they kept the same basic lines as the P250, which means the high bore axis (made necessary by the hammer on the P250) was also retained, and that entirely needlessly. It was kept exclusively due to the rush job they did in order to make it into the US Military trials, i.e., there was no time to properly come up with a striker fired design that wasn't mostly based on the old P250, which, due to the hammer, had to have a high bore axis. Thus, the P320 also has a high bore axis, as if it had a hammer and required it, which it doesn't.

PS Yes, I bought a P320, and thoroughly tested it out. Side by side with any of my Glocks, the increased muzzle flip was highly disconcerting to me. I sold it thereafter, which, due to the hype, wasn't difficult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/8/9/the-keefe-report-the-sig-sauer-p320-sharknado/

LIke I wrote before I'm sure Sig will have this worked out soon. I guess either send in for upgrade or try to get one of the newer made upgraded 320s.

Last edited by 1911a1; 10/18/17.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

How does that lower the bore axis. Hah! Just kidding. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

How does that lower the bore axis. Hah! Just kidding. grin

That's funny!
Maybe someday I'll get to fire a 320 next to a Glock and a M&P and say a CZ p10, and maybe a HK vp9. That would be fun to compare and see the differences. I'm sure not everyone would come to same conclusions. But for my personal experience that would be neat.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1911a1
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/8/9/the-keefe-report-the-sig-sauer-p320-sharknado/

LIke I wrote before I'm sure Sig will have this worked out soon. I guess either send in for upgrade or try to get one of the newer made upgraded 320s.

the problem is there are too many problems...its like a kid in kindergarten, he bites one kid and he gets in trouble, note sent to a parent, but then he bites another kid and then another and pretty soon he has the reputation of a biter. (stole that from a line in Justified)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using a compact p320 for about 6 months now. For those who prefer the glock, I say "glock on"...

The lower bore axis of the glock is matched by the lower trigger position of the glock. My middle finger lines up pretty well. As to the glock being faster to shoot accurately, I haven't mastered shooting with my middle trigger finger yet. Between the messed up grip, the lowered trigger finger position, and the glock type engineering and customer service attitudes, the glock is, IMO, the football bat of pistols. The weapon of choice for those who don't shoot.

As to "all" of the p320s problems, I've only seen one that might potentially be an issue. And I will never hold my pistol and drop it with the intention of impacting the rear of the slide.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Whether or not you find it disconcerting, it will slow down your shot to shot time. That's just pure physics. You can't get around it with training.

Yet, some of us who have actually fired them side-by-side (on a timer) are faster and more accurate with the Sig. You absolutely cannot get around physics with training, it's just that the physics are so negligible in many cases that it doesn't matter "on the range".

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well time will tell I guess. No doubt SIG will rise to the occasion.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot my 228 better than a Glock or even my M&P. The low bore axis is nonsense but that's all you got so carry on.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I acquired an early 320 C and put a Bruce Gray trigger in it--- it's a wonderful gun, extremely reliable, accurate and I like the grip angle (closer to a 1911 than any G-guns). Arguing the height of the bore axis is akin to arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin---it's like sporting clays shooters arguing over choke constriction---if it's a big consideration to them, you know you're dealing with a mediocre to inept shooter. Unless they're hawking for the gun manufacturer you NEVER hear a top shooter promoting low bore axis----you DO however occasionally hear them discuss grip angle. Roughly the difference in height from the back of the tang to the center of the bore was about 3/4" more with the Sig than a G-17----however the difference from the center of the trigger to the center of the bore was less than 1/2" more with the Sig. That 1/4" difference results in a somewhat substantial difference in grip angle. If you compare Max Michel with say Bob Vogel, it's obvious that grip angle and bore axis differences are not objective obstacles----practice is more important than either.

The drop test failures of the Sig seem out of proportion to me. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, born-again Pre-Series-80-1911 guy. I despise the firing pin blocks added to the JMB design. Therefore I don't feel less safe carrying a 320 that might fail a drop test than I do carrying a series-70 1911 that also may fail a drop test. It's just not a big deal.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gmoats
I acquired an early 320 C and put a Bruce Gray trigger in it--- it's a wonderful gun, extremely reliable, accurate and I like the grip angle (closer to a 1911 than any G-guns). Arguing the height of the bore axis is akin to arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin---it's like sporting clays shooters arguing over choke constriction---if it's a big consideration to them, you know you're dealing with a mediocre to inept shooter. Unless they're hawking for the gun manufacturer you NEVER hear a top shooter promoting low bore axis----you DO however occasionally hear them discuss grip angle. Roughly the difference in height from the back of the tang to the center of the bore was about 3/4" more with the Sig than a G-17----however the difference from the center of the trigger to the center of the bore was less than 1/2" more with the Sig. That 1/4" difference results in a somewhat substantial difference in grip angle. If you compare Max Michel with say Bob Vogel, it's obvious that grip angle and bore axis differences are not objective obstacles----practice is more important than either.

The drop test failures of the Sig seem out of proportion to me. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, born-again Pre-Series-80-1911 guy. I despise the firing pin blocks added to the JMB design. Therefore I don't feel less safe carrying a 320 that might fail a drop test than I do carrying a series-70 1911 that also may fail a drop test. It's just not a big deal.

Amen. Well said, and spot on. Bore axis just isn't a big deal, just practice, practice, practice, and the miniscule differences go away completely.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm buying my Sig 320 when they start selling for $399 with factory equipped night sights.

That day is coming. Sooner than later.

Never question Nostraflave.

Nostraflave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

OK, you asked for it. The Sig P320 has a high bore axis, increasing felt "muzzle flip" when fired. Some find this sensation disconcerting, especially those accustomed to the very low bore axis on a Glock (made possible by the absence of a hammer). Whether or not you find it disconcerting, it will slow down your shot to shot time. That's just pure physics. You can't get around it with training.

Now you might be tempted to point out that the hammer's absence or presence has nothing to do with it. Here's why it does: The P320 is a striker fired variation on the Sig P250, which did have a hammer. Instead of starting from scratch, and coming up with a proper striker fired design, they kept the same basic lines as the P250, which means the high bore axis (made necessary by the hammer on the P250) was also retained, and that entirely needlessly. It was kept exclusively due to the rush job they did in order to make it into the US Military trials, i.e., there was no time to properly come up with a striker fired design that wasn't mostly based on the old P250, which, due to the hammer, had to have a high bore axis. Thus, the P320 also has a high bore axis, as if it had a hammer and required it, which it doesn't.

PS Yes, I bought a P320, and thoroughly tested it out. Side by side with any of my Glocks, the increased muzzle flip was highly disconcerting to me. I sold it thereafter, which, due to the hype, wasn't difficult.

When the 320 came out, I thought the same things. I carried a P220 on duty and was really irritated when I had to switch to a Glock 22...until I shot it. Much faster splits out of a lighter gun and supposedly “snappier” cartridge. Then the 320 came along and I scratched my head on that one. To me, the muzzle flip was even more pronounced due to the lighter polymer frame vs my P220.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JWD8310

When the 320 came out, I thought the same things. I carried a P220 on duty and was really irritated when I had to switch to a Glock 22...until I shot it. Much faster splits out of a lighter gun and supposedly “snappier” cartridge. Then the 320 came along and I scratched my head on that one. To me, the muzzle flip was even more pronounced due to the lighter polymer frame vs my P220.
It's good to get confirmation on that. I'd hate to think I'm the only one here who had that impression.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
469 members (338rcm, 300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.