Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Have been out of ml for about 20 years. Recently picked up a NULA ml, so looking to get back in. Yes, I realize some may not like the smokeless inlines, but that’s where I’m at.

Thought I’d check to see if any on the Fire have one, and would be willing to share their experience, recommendations, etc.

What do you have in your range bag, which capper/decapper, breech plug prep, etc.

Thanks,

Kurt

BP-B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well I'll be the first to say I dont know anything about these new rifles, but i hope you have a lot of fun and successful hunting trips with your new found addition!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/21/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thank you. Melvin is not making these anymore, so was glad to add to my safe. Should be fun, and extend my hunting here in Kansas a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not have smokeless but I always carry a small multi-tool in a pocket with my muzzleloaders.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thank you, Overkill. I just found that site a couple weeks ago. Good information and seems to be a good group of guys.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Originally Posted by USMC2602
Have been out of ml for about 20 years. Recently picked up a NULA ml, so looking to get back in. Yes, I realize some may not like the smokeless inlines, but that’s where I’m at.

Thought I’d check to see if any on the Fire have one, and would be willing to share their experience, recommendations, etc.

What do you have in your range bag, which capper/decapper, breech plug prep, etc.

Thanks,

Kurt

I have had one for 8-10 years now. Tomorrow night or Monday night when I have more time I’ll tell you what I’m using.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thank you! Just thought that info would shorten my learning curve, look forward to your info and appreciate your time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had one about as long as Lawdawz. One of the standard loads that several guys use is 42-44gr of SR4759 with a 275gr Parker BE. This load seems to shoot in most NULA's. I am not sure on the availability of SR4759, I think I read they had discontinued making it a year or so ago. Should be able to find a couple pounds to last you a while. I tried that load and it shot lights out so I never went any farther. You will enjoy the NULA.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks, jdunham. I haven’t been able to locate any SR4759 at this point, but will keep my eyes open. Have some VV N110 inbound, which has been recommended by several guys.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

Thanks,

Kurt

OK, I'm also using the SR4759 powder (44 grains) with Parker 275gr Ballistic Extreme bullets. The capping tool I use is one of these:

Cash Straight Line 209 Primer Dispenser

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...k-Powder-Accessories/prod70330/cat100010

The breech plug is pulled with a standard 1/4" drive shallow socket (I'm pretty sure it's a 3/8" but could be a 7/16") and the appropriate ratchet and short extension.

I wasn't too thrilled with the ram rod that came with the gun. Actually I lost it on my second or third trip out with the gun. Melvin sent me another but shortly after I stumbled onto this outfit......"Gunn Inovations". I purchased a ram rod and one of their SpinJags.

http://spinjag.com/

Lots of possibilities exist for powder tubes. Remember, they don't need to be very big as 44 grains of smokeless doesn't take up much space.

I highly recommend the capper, ram rod and spin jag.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Very helpful, really appreciate it.

C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a NULA ML. I shoot Parker BE 275 gr bullets over 40 grain of VV N110. Like Lawdwaz I switched out my ram rod and use a Spinjag. My only real complaint is I don't care for the wrist of the stock. I find myself having to readjust my grip trying to get a more comfortable angle when shooting. The stock does handle recoil well. Overall, the rifle does shoot very well, is very well balanced and is a joy to hunt with.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I should add I also use a straight line 209 capper and a Spinjag bullet starter.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks, CWD. My straight line capper arrived Friday. Will be calling the folks at Spinjag this week.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Shoot it yet?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Thanks,

Kurt

OK, I'm also using the SR4759 powder (44 grains) with Parker 275gr Ballistic Extreme bullets. The capping tool I use is one of these:

Cash Straight Line 209 Primer Dispenser

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...k-Powder-Accessories/prod70330/cat100010

The breech plug is pulled with a standard 1/4" drive shallow socket (I'm pretty sure it's a 3/8" but could be a 7/16") and the appropriate ratchet and short extension.

I wasn't too thrilled with the ram rod that came with the gun. Actually I lost it on my second or third trip out with the gun. Melvin sent me another but shortly after I stumbled onto this outfit......"Gunn Inovations". I purchased a ram rod and one of their SpinJags.

http://spinjag.com/

Lots of possibilities exist for powder tubes. Remember, they don't need to be very big as 44 grains of smokeless doesn't take up much space.

I highly recommend the capper, ram rod and spin jag.

Lawdwaz's advice is dead on. I would also suggest this capper as capping the NULA is a bit difficult with a straight capper. With the Dogbone capper I cut off two of the capper ends that are diagonally across from each other. Then you have a capper on each end that angles into the breech plug better.
https://www.amazon.com/Thompson-Center-Dog-Bone-Capper-Priming/dp/B000PW5CJM#customerReviews

U
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Have not shot it yet. Talley’s and Spinjag, ramrod, Parkers, etc., all inbound. Plan to mount an FX III 6x42 on it (like the rest of my ULAs). With everything I have going at the moment, probably late winter/early spring before her maiden voyage to the range.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.