Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I’m looking for some general info about Burns and the surrounding area. Info such as schools, taxes, cost of living etc. I may have an opportunity with work that would land me there. I have two young boys that haven’t started school yet but will. How about activities for my wife? She stays home with the boys but frequently meets with friends, bible study etc where we are now. I assume there are the same activities available there too.

Also noticed when cruising Zillow that some homes state they are out of the flood plain. How much of an issue is that and is it a deal breaker on some homes? Obviously homes are way less expensive there than in the valley. Basically looking for local knowledge and tips a westsider may not think of. I understand the weather to a certain extent but not totally.

Thanks all

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ranching community, with big govt presence, BLM. Great bird hunting within an hours drive, Malhuer wildlife refuge is an awesome place. Good coyote hunting. Snow and ice in winter, hot but do-able in summer. Access to many points from there that would be great for exploring with the kids. Conservative people excepting perhaps some in govt positions. It's a slow paced community, not much changes there.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1Minute lives in Hines. He'll probably chime in. That said my mom is from there. If you're into outdoor stuff, hunting and fishing, you'll have a hard time finding a better spot.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
One thing I forgot to mention is my wife would prefer somewhere with trees. Obviously 99% of that area does not qualify but is there opportunity to purchase property that at least has some junipers and such?

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't show up to a wreck involving your bull drunk and armed...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That was in Idaho but the mentality is likely very similar.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That was in Idaho but the mentality is likely very similar.

LOL.

Yeah, I was thinking about the "other" debacle.... smile

Thanks for the correction. My bad.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Burns, Oregon? God's County...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Well, not really, but it's better than Portland, Eugene, Medford, and Salem for sure. The prettiest place in Oregon is probably Joseph. And that whole area ROCKS for hunting.

LOL
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Well, not really, but it's better than Portland, Eugene, Medford, and Salem for sure. The prettiest place in Oregon is probably Joseph. And that whole area ROCKS for hunting.

Joseph? It's indeed pretty, irrelevant but pretty.... Burns, generally speaking would be a great place to settle.... I missed a chance to go there when houses could be had cheap. No good hunting though, wink wink....

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/21/17.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of the best stakes I ever had was at the meat hook...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Oregon is like a penal colony overrun with dopers. Learned it here on the 'Fire.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some of very best varmint hunting all around Burns.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Oregon is like a penal colony overrun with dopers. Learned it here on the 'Fire.

Yeah, those folks in Kentucky and Louisiana have the goods on Oregon for sure. They'd be even better if they could locate a place like Burns or the whole state for that matter, on a map.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
One thing I forgot to mention is my wife would prefer somewhere with trees. Obviously 99% of that area does not qualify but is there opportunity to purchase property that at least has some junipers and such?

Burns (and Hines ) is along the Silivies river basin. Not much in the ways of trees. It's all high desert steppes or Malhuer lake wildlife refuge. Probably have to head out of town up near the FS lands to get many trees, pine, juniper, mahogany or otherwise.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L

Thanks for that. If I’d known you had so much quality insight and local knowledge to offer I would have just PM’ed you directly.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Also noticed when cruising Zillow that some homes state they are out of the flood plain. How much of an issue is that and is it a deal breaker on some homes? Obviously homes are way less expensive there than in the valley. Basically looking for local knowledge and tips a westsider may not think of. I understand the weather to a certain extent but not totally.

I would avoid any flood plain. It might not flood for 50 years but it has in the past and someday will again. This last winter, we had a LOT of snow that flooded areas that hadn't flooded in 100 years or more. Insurance rates will be higher or might not cover flood damage unless you pay separately for flood insurance. If you have a choice, stay out of one.

Burns is in the high desert. It will be very dry in the summer. It could go several months with no rain at all. If you have a lawn or garden, it will need watering, maybe a lot of watering. If you're on city water, it could get expensive if Burns' city water prices are as high as some places I've seen.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember growing in Oregon (madras) burns was a booming timber town. Then the feds pretty much shut down logging in the national forest the timber mill shutdown. Same can be said about prineville heck they had what 5 timber mills at one time.. don’t even know if one is even open there anymore. Then John Day I think had a mill.. anyhow burns is definitely small town living, I could live there but sounds like homes aren’t cheap. Some good ol football rivalries from the GOL days burns, mac hi, vale,baker city to name a few

Last edited by 79S; 10/22/17.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LowerRiver

Thanks for that. If I’d known you had so much quality insight and local knowledge to offer I would have just PM’ed you directly.

Im going to refer you to seafire.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This site has some good demographic data, along with climate
http://www.city-data.com/city/Burns-Oregon.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 66 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.