-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I sold the two .300 mags I used to have too. I don't miss anything about them.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I certainly like the versatility of my 300 Win but don't include it in my big bores...L/R.. 300 Win...405..444..45 Colt {rifle} 45/70..45/90 .45/110

[Linked Image]
where can i upload photos

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep look`s like a lot of guys like different bores in there lever guns,mine for now is just the old proven versatile 300 win.mag when I gun hunt with my handloads or my custom ruger #1 257 weatherby mag, I just like to handload and play with different calibers that shoot well. but to be honest I mostly bow hunt and this fall 2017 bowhunt we already have plenty elk meat in the freezer,we had a good /lucky bowhunt out west.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Rifle only cartridges. .35 - .375 are medium bore, .40 & up are big bore. Power or capability don't factor in, we're looking at bore diameter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Fischer said +1

The only historical, logical, and simple answer.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B2

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes I can understand you and some others feel bore size is the main factor, maybe in honesty there should be a thread for levers that have accuracy,power and distance ability ? seem`s weird that some just want to say I got a lever big bore ? myself I want more > accuracy,power and range in my lever gun I hunt with because I want to kill that animal at all distances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For example take a look at all the 1895 Winchester chamberings since day one..Lots of outstanding hard hitting medium range entries which way out perform the .405 at longer ranges but they still wouldn't be classified as "big bore"

Woody
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Then start a "big power" thread; this one is for big "bores". No.matter how powerful your .300 mag is (hey, I shoot Wby Mags), when you look at the hole in the muzzle, it just ain't as cool. I have a medium bore - Marlin 1893 in .38-55 and a big bore Marlin 1895S .45-70. Medium cool and very cool muzzles...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
yes I can understand you and some others feel bore size is the main factor, maybe in honesty there should be a thread for levers that have accuracy,power and distance ability ? seem`s weird that some just want to say I got a lever big bore ? myself I want more > accuracy,power and range in my lever gun I hunt with because I want to kill that animal at all distances.

Range don't mean shidt to me in a lever action and I barely care about accuracy. When I want to reach out I sure don't reach for a lever action. Wrong platform for distance and accuracy. Right platform for speed and handling in the woods.

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I shoot weatherby rifles too mark 5`s and accumark`s with custom bonx barrels too, but those weatherby cartridges aren`t in a lever that shoots multiple cartridges unless you wanna talk Ruger #1``s that have a lever too I got those up to 458 lotts and some more weatherby chamberings in no. 1`s. too > so yes your right there needs to be a thread for powerful,accurate ,long range levers maybe after hunting season this winter I can get that done. maybe use the thread name > power levers for accuracy,power and longer range ability ??

Last edited by pete53; 10/28/17.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think he really likes the .300 WinMag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
why dose every body have to be ass holes on this form instead of talken about guns an aammo

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just what exactly is being discussed, besides guns and aammo?

I don't see any mention of strawberry souffle, cutting the yard for the last time this year, dogs, how drunk Betty-lou got at the last family reunion, or if thongs are appropriate for certain social events.

The title is "calibers considered big bore". Which, in the opinion of most here, begins somewhere in the .375" to .40" area of BORE diameter. Regardless of the size of the CASE, .300" is a wee ways from that. There are a lot of long-time lever fans here with a collective experience of hundreds of years, so the opinion of "what is" is well entrenched, and the gray area is still "discussed".

He is expounding the virtues of the .300 WinMag CARTRIDGE in a Browning lever, I believe, and has deemed it superior to anything else he owns. He also wants a sub-forum dedicated to such.

Some people don't like Browning BLRs. Some people don't like .300 WinMags. None are being a ringlike muscle that normally maintains constriction of a body passage.

He likes his BLR in .300 WinMag, and I'm happy for him. They are a nice rifle.

If you think we should change our opinion of what are the parameters to be considered a "Big Bore", we will consider it, once you go to the African forums and convince ALL OF THEM that the .45-70 is a perfectly adequate Elephant rifle. I have one of those and have held off going to Africa until I have a sufficient rifle.

PS. There's a fellow named Ingwe that is looking for an English Tutor, have you a recommendation?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 44mc
why dose every body have to be ass holes on this form instead of talken about guns an aammo

Not one poster on this thread is busting the OP's chops, just their individual opinions on what constitutes a big bore. Your remark is totally out of context and some reading comprehension would be most appropriate should you desire to jump in with your experience..

This is only the BIG BORE cast bullet section of my loading bench nothing here under .40 cal..I do have an idea of what's being discussed..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
photo upload sites

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Woody, I do believe that is a couple ounces of lead there.

Those blue boxes on the left top help that .444 step into a different league, too. I had sold my .444 by the time I tried 300 grain WFNs in a .44 mag rifle, and can only imagine the difference it would make in a .444 between that and a 240 grain JHP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Woody, I do believe that is a couple ounces of lead there.

Those blue boxes on the left top help that .444 step into a different league, too. I had sold my .444 by the time I tried 300 grain WFNs in a .44 mag rifle, and can only imagine the difference it would make in a .444 between that and a 240 grain JHP.

Spot on Vic those 310 gr cast in the triple four are in their own league for hard hitting penetration..Its been a struggle though finding a heavy that will feed consistently in the Marlin. This 310 gr bullet is a custom from Accurate Molds with a .430 dia XTP profile I had made and the only one of many I've loaded that reliably feeds 100 % of the time..Haven't taken any game with it yet but so far it hangs with my 45/70 405 gr cast for penetration and even on one test of wet newspaper outdid the 45 by 3".

Woody
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
BIG BORES ? why not post with a reply on top of this lever big bore site something like : this site is for .40 caliber or bigger big bore levers,smaller caliber guys who want to reply about there smaller caliber please don`t or whatever size caliber some of you guys decide is big bore? many of us would not ask simple questions about newer type levers on this site. I will try this winter to get a site put on 24 campfire with something like for newer type levers any caliber and yes you big bore guys would still be welcome. its to bad some get upset so easy,but there are many lever guys searching for better ballistics and levers that have better accuracy and retained foot pounds at longer distances .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why lose do damn much sleep over it?

You can go to the Lever actions General subforum, they're posting about a BLR, now.

You could also start your own forum on .300 Mag BLRs, that seems to be your only topic of choice.

I have no problem with you calling that thing a big bore, just don't ask me to. I'm too old to change my mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete, I'm familiar with most mag feed levers I understand your interest especially having owned a BLR in 7 mag ...Would I like one in 300 ?.. Not so much but that's just me, I prefer a bolt gun for these applications.

The newer Flextip technology also brings into play new performance envelopes for tube feed levers previously exempt jump starting some old standbys with more modern ballistics.... definitely worth exploring for anyone interested.

As for me I'll keep launching big hunks of big bore lead from my Winchester 1866..'86. '95 and Marlin.. smile

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Why lose do damn much sleep over it?

You can go to the Lever actions General subforum, they're posting about a BLR, now.

You could also start your own forum on .300 Mag BLRs, that seems to be your only topic of choice.

I have no problem with you calling that thing a big bore, just don't ask me to. I'm too old to change my mind.

^ This.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 163bc, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.