Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I own a lot of big bore lever guns including ruger #1`s up to 458 lott. my question is do many of you guys consider brownings BLR 300 WIN. MAG a big bore ? I kinda do and really like its longer range accuracy and its power even at close range, its such a simple gun to load and unload too. just wondering ?? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I consider big bores to start once you get past .375", using the bore diameter as a measure instead of case capacity.

No doubt the .300 WinMag is a powerful round, and I consider it a big case but a mid bore.

Just my thoughts on it.

I've used rifles in .348, .444, 44 mag, and .45-70. Though the .348 is a mid-bore, it is powerful!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Since we're talking lever actions, anything 35 and up is ‘big bore’....to me. On the other hand, 44 mag and 45 colt in rifles isn’t considered ‘big bore’, outside of lever actions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. For me big bores start a .40 cal.It's just about the hole in the barrel. A .375 is not a big bore to me but a .44-40 is.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
ok I kinda agree, what there should be is a thread that states somehow lever magnums or something ? I know some feel bigger bores may be better , ,I feel its more raw power ,you take a 300 win. mag. with a 220 grain bullet that is a nasty powerful load in a lever. I just purchased this Browning BLR in a 300 win. mag. I do own many levers but this 300 win mag in a lever is unbelieveable in long range accuracy off a bench but yet if forced to use this 300 for close range for protection its got a lot more power than many other levers I own.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Since we're talking lever actions, anything 35 and up is ‘big bore’....to me. On the other hand, 44 mag and 45 colt in rifles isn’t considered ‘big bore’, outside of lever actions.

My thinking as well though I'd have said 'over' 35 caliber.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The .348Win and it's wildcats is a lot of power in a lever action. I would start there as far as BB levers. You mention the BLR. The Model 71 is big medicine. The 1886 is too.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
the nice thing about the BLR Browning it has a clip and does not wreck bullets like a tube feed and BLR `s do have the bigger bore cartridges too ,but the best part of the 300 win mag shells : can be found any place in the world ,can be shot out to 500 yards accurately with power,or be used in close range with a lot of power too. the levers you mention model 71 and 1886 can`t handle a 300 win. mag.,those actions are not strong enough . i got a 348 model 71 ,also a couple 45-70 one in a guide gun ya they work but give me the BLR 300 win mag with 220 grains that's a nasty bullet with plenty power at any distance.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Levers for 500 yards shots. Your a better man than I am pete.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a bi-pod lay`n down you would be surprised how accurate a person is .

I did look up in a sierra reloading manual fps/ft.lbs.

358 win 225 grain bullet 2450 fps/3000 ft.lbs at the barrel at 100 yds= 2200+fps/2420+ft.lbs at 500 yds. = 1490 fps/1115 ft.lbs.

300 win. mag. 220 grain bullet 2750 fps/3700 ft.lbs at the barrel at 100 yds = 2500 +fps/2950+ft.lbs at 500yards= 2050fps/2040 ft.lbs

I see a huge advantage with a Browning BLR 300 win mag I never seen before ,the accuracy of this BLR lever is very impressive,i plan on buying a 358 win
BLR also.i have already a BLR 308WIN and that shoots great also.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
What kind of 100yd groups you gettin out of your BLR .308 Win?....Hb

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
with barnes 130 gr.bullets and lee neck crimp die as barnes recommends ,3-9 leupold off my cement bench under 1/2 inch all day long even had some other friends try it,my son shot groups closer to 3/8`s,son also shot a nice 4x4 mule deer at 250 yards no bipod just holding gun laying down with this load.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have one of the early BLR in .308 Win. It is not that accurate. Kicks harder than my .300 Weatherby Mark V.

I attribute it to excess drop at comb. Comes up as well as a skeet gun though.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IIRC the way it used to be was .30 cal. and under was small bore, .31 to .400 was medium bore and above .400 was considered large bore.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by magshooter1
IIRC the way it used to be was .30 cal. and under was small bore, .31 to .400 was medium bore and above .400 was considered large bore.

That's still where I'm at.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
after the black powder era the 375 was considered the "baby" of big bores. that is where i always started considering them big bore.
back during the BP era .577 was the start.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me big bores start at .375

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
well if your on this post you must enjoy lever rifles too ? with todays much better ammo,powder,bullets,even some newer type levers and the ability of handloaders to build some great ammo for their lever guns too. i break it down into 3 bullet sizes for levers that can hold more than one cartridge: #1 small bore up to .243 caliber, # 2 medium bore .257 - .308 > " .308 caliber bullet 165 grain and below ", #3 .308 and bigger > " .308 caliber bullet grain weight above 165 grain and up" with the ability of the .308 that has so many different grain weight and types of bullets it belongs in 2 classes. just because some feel its bullet diameter, but to many of us its power/foot pounds too of the caliber not just the size of the hole. 3OO WIN.MAG. with 220 grain bullets R.N. is a very powerful cartridge and with other .308 grain bullets it can do what most bigger bores can`t do that`s why our U.S.A. military " SEALS" use it with 190 grain bullet. we all have our favorite calibers and that is great ,but that dang 300 win. mag no matter what I think or what you do it is just a great old cartridge that you can buy ammo at a ma-pa grocery store,gas station,just about any place in the world and probably be able to get a few rounds from a U.S.A. soldier/sniper . I wish you all a great hunting season,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/26/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like leverguns and I like lever action cartridges. The .300 Win Mag isn't one though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think he really likes the .300 WinMag.

I do, too, but found out I can get anything I want done to 500 yards with my .308, so I've sold the two I had.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I sold the two .300 mags I used to have too. I don't miss anything about them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I certainly like the versatility of my 300 Win but don't include it in my big bores...L/R.. 300 Win...405..444..45 Colt {rifle} 45/70..45/90 .45/110

[Linked Image]
where can i upload photos

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep look`s like a lot of guys like different bores in there lever guns,mine for now is just the old proven versatile 300 win.mag when I gun hunt with my handloads or my custom ruger #1 257 weatherby mag, I just like to handload and play with different calibers that shoot well. but to be honest I mostly bow hunt and this fall 2017 bowhunt we already have plenty elk meat in the freezer,we had a good /lucky bowhunt out west.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Rifle only cartridges. .35 - .375 are medium bore, .40 & up are big bore. Power or capability don't factor in, we're looking at bore diameter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Fischer said +1

The only historical, logical, and simple answer.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes I can understand you and some others feel bore size is the main factor, maybe in honesty there should be a thread for levers that have accuracy,power and distance ability ? seem`s weird that some just want to say I got a lever big bore ? myself I want more > accuracy,power and range in my lever gun I hunt with because I want to kill that animal at all distances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For example take a look at all the 1895 Winchester chamberings since day one..Lots of outstanding hard hitting medium range entries which way out perform the .405 at longer ranges but they still wouldn't be classified as "big bore"

Woody
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Then start a "big power" thread; this one is for big "bores". No.matter how powerful your .300 mag is (hey, I shoot Wby Mags), when you look at the hole in the muzzle, it just ain't as cool. I have a medium bore - Marlin 1893 in .38-55 and a big bore Marlin 1895S .45-70. Medium cool and very cool muzzles...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
yes I can understand you and some others feel bore size is the main factor, maybe in honesty there should be a thread for levers that have accuracy,power and distance ability ? seem`s weird that some just want to say I got a lever big bore ? myself I want more > accuracy,power and range in my lever gun I hunt with because I want to kill that animal at all distances.

Range don't mean shidt to me in a lever action and I barely care about accuracy. When I want to reach out I sure don't reach for a lever action. Wrong platform for distance and accuracy. Right platform for speed and handling in the woods.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I shoot weatherby rifles too mark 5`s and accumark`s with custom bonx barrels too, but those weatherby cartridges aren`t in a lever that shoots multiple cartridges unless you wanna talk Ruger #1``s that have a lever too I got those up to 458 lotts and some more weatherby chamberings in no. 1`s. too > so yes your right there needs to be a thread for powerful,accurate ,long range levers maybe after hunting season this winter I can get that done. maybe use the thread name > power levers for accuracy,power and longer range ability ??

Last edited by pete53; 10/28/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think he really likes the .300 WinMag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
why dose every body have to be ass holes on this form instead of talken about guns an aammo

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just what exactly is being discussed, besides guns and aammo?

I don't see any mention of strawberry souffle, cutting the yard for the last time this year, dogs, how drunk Betty-lou got at the last family reunion, or if thongs are appropriate for certain social events.

The title is "calibers considered big bore". Which, in the opinion of most here, begins somewhere in the .375" to .40" area of BORE diameter. Regardless of the size of the CASE, .300" is a wee ways from that. There are a lot of long-time lever fans here with a collective experience of hundreds of years, so the opinion of "what is" is well entrenched, and the gray area is still "discussed".

He is expounding the virtues of the .300 WinMag CARTRIDGE in a Browning lever, I believe, and has deemed it superior to anything else he owns. He also wants a sub-forum dedicated to such.

Some people don't like Browning BLRs. Some people don't like .300 WinMags. None are being a ringlike muscle that normally maintains constriction of a body passage.

He likes his BLR in .300 WinMag, and I'm happy for him. They are a nice rifle.

If you think we should change our opinion of what are the parameters to be considered a "Big Bore", we will consider it, once you go to the African forums and convince ALL OF THEM that the .45-70 is a perfectly adequate Elephant rifle. I have one of those and have held off going to Africa until I have a sufficient rifle.

PS. There's a fellow named Ingwe that is looking for an English Tutor, have you a recommendation?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 44mc
why dose every body have to be ass holes on this form instead of talken about guns an aammo

Not one poster on this thread is busting the OP's chops, just their individual opinions on what constitutes a big bore. Your remark is totally out of context and some reading comprehension would be most appropriate should you desire to jump in with your experience..

This is only the BIG BORE cast bullet section of my loading bench nothing here under .40 cal..I do have an idea of what's being discussed..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
photo upload sites

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Woody, I do believe that is a couple ounces of lead there.

Those blue boxes on the left top help that .444 step into a different league, too. I had sold my .444 by the time I tried 300 grain WFNs in a .44 mag rifle, and can only imagine the difference it would make in a .444 between that and a 240 grain JHP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Woody, I do believe that is a couple ounces of lead there.

Those blue boxes on the left top help that .444 step into a different league, too. I had sold my .444 by the time I tried 300 grain WFNs in a .44 mag rifle, and can only imagine the difference it would make in a .444 between that and a 240 grain JHP.

Spot on Vic those 310 gr cast in the triple four are in their own league for hard hitting penetration..Its been a struggle though finding a heavy that will feed consistently in the Marlin. This 310 gr bullet is a custom from Accurate Molds with a .430 dia XTP profile I had made and the only one of many I've loaded that reliably feeds 100 % of the time..Haven't taken any game with it yet but so far it hangs with my 45/70 405 gr cast for penetration and even on one test of wet newspaper outdid the 45 by 3".

Woody
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
BIG BORES ? why not post with a reply on top of this lever big bore site something like : this site is for .40 caliber or bigger big bore levers,smaller caliber guys who want to reply about there smaller caliber please don`t or whatever size caliber some of you guys decide is big bore? many of us would not ask simple questions about newer type levers on this site. I will try this winter to get a site put on 24 campfire with something like for newer type levers any caliber and yes you big bore guys would still be welcome. its to bad some get upset so easy,but there are many lever guys searching for better ballistics and levers that have better accuracy and retained foot pounds at longer distances .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why lose do damn much sleep over it?

You can go to the Lever actions General subforum, they're posting about a BLR, now.

You could also start your own forum on .300 Mag BLRs, that seems to be your only topic of choice.

I have no problem with you calling that thing a big bore, just don't ask me to. I'm too old to change my mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete, I'm familiar with most mag feed levers I understand your interest especially having owned a BLR in 7 mag ...Would I like one in 300 ?.. Not so much but that's just me, I prefer a bolt gun for these applications.

The newer Flextip technology also brings into play new performance envelopes for tube feed levers previously exempt jump starting some old standbys with more modern ballistics.... definitely worth exploring for anyone interested.

As for me I'll keep launching big hunks of big bore lead from my Winchester 1866..'86. '95 and Marlin.. smile

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why lose do damn much sleep over it?

You can go to the Lever actions General subforum, they're posting about a BLR, now.

You could also start your own forum on .300 Mag BLRs, that seems to be your only topic of choice.

I have no problem with you calling that thing a big bore, just don't ask me to. I'm too old to change my mind.

^ This.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
no sleep lost , I moved to the other site,where some feel a smaller caliber and a newer type lever belongs. I might be older but I still prefer higher ballistics, accuracy,precision reloading and retained energy for longer more accurate shots,otherwise I will just use my bow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no sleep lost , I moved to the other site,where some feel a smaller caliber and a newer type lever belongs. I might be older but I still prefer higher ballistics, accuracy,precision reloading and retained energy for longer more accurate shots,otherwise I will just use my bow.

You're still missing the point of this forum. It's the BIG BORE forum. Not the HIGH POWERED LEVER ACTION forum. What you have is a very powerful levergun. But it's not even close to being a big bore. You remind me of that Donkey in the Budweiser commercial that wants to be a Clydesdale. Things are what they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He likes his .300 WinMag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fischer
Rifle only cartridges. .35 - .375 are medium bore, .40 & up are big bore. Power or capability don't factor in, we're looking at bore diameter.

That would take in a lot of revolver caliber lever actions chambered for 41 Mag through 500 S&W. Which is fine by me, I'm just asking where the fences are.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/30/17.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Like I said - Rifle only cartridges. But that's only my personal interpretation. Handgun cartridges over .40 cal, that rifles have been chambered in, technically could be considered big bore. For me, when I think big bore lever gun, my mind goes to rifle cartridges, like the 45-70 and .444, etc. To further blur the lines, both of those have been chambered in handguns. Though they were originally concieved as rifle ammo...

I probably actually will lose some sleep tonight, sorting through that mess...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fischer
Like I said - Rifle only cartridges. But that's only my personal interpretation. Handgun cartridges over .40 cal, that rifles have been chambered in, technically could be considered big bore. For me, when I think big bore lever gun, my mind goes to rifle cartridges, like the 45-70 and .444, etc. To further blur the lines, both of those have been chambered in handguns. Though they were originally concieved as rifle ammo...

I probably actually will lose some sleep tonight, sorting through that mess...

Don't. You called it exactly as I would have.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
no I`d be the corvette you guys would be a old beat up slow dump truck or horse and buggie, and as myself and many precision handloaders say : speed kills !. oh I get it you guys want to load for what some feel are big bore guns and that's fine,but when I elk hunt or deer hunt with my handloads I plan on kill`n that animal I shoot at on 1st shot out 500 yards ,I have done it many times too and even at longer distances.but now days if I am on hunt that animals are really a long ways out then its time for my custom 338 lapua which some feel still is not a big bore. and that`s funny ! you guys kinda act and post like some of the traditional archers on archery talk,maybe you guys should all hunt out of a horse and buggie too?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jeepers! So defensive! It probably hasn't occurred to you that in all likelihood, the rest of us shoot other rifles as well. I have several Weatherby magnums that I also hunt with and enjoy shooting (500 yd kill - no problem), a 30-06, couple .260s, 270 win, butt load of .22s, shotguns, handguns, BIG BORE lever gun, medium bore lever gun and small bore lever gun...you get the idea. Oh and although I do not have a buggy, I do have a horse. AQHA gelding named Joe and I'd consider him a "big bore" at 1300 lbs. Never hunted off of him though. Just because I don't think like someone else does, I'm sure as hell not going to insult them. Think what you like but no reason to be offended when the rest of the world has a different perspective. Welcome to America, where you can have differences and not hate each other.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no I`d be the corvette you guys would be a old beat up slow dump truck or horse and buggie, and as myself and many precision handloaders say : speed kills !. oh I get it you guys want to load for what some feel are big bore guns and that's fine,but when I elk hunt or deer hunt with my handloads I plan on kill`n that animal I shoot at on 1st shot out 500 yards ,I have done it many times too and even at longer distances.but now days if I am on hunt that animals are really a long ways out then its time for my custom 338 lapua which some feel still is not a big bore. and that`s funny ! you guys kinda act and post like some of the traditional archers on archery talk,maybe you guys should all hunt out of a horse and buggie too?

You must be really awesome.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You are still confusing cartridge size with bore size, and judging by your last post, find the case size to be a great compensation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are still confusing cartridge size with bore size, and judging by your last post, find the case size to be a great compensation.

Well he does sound as if he's compensating......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=pete53] no I`d be the corvette you guys would be a old beat up slow dump truck or horse and buggie, and as myself and many precision handloaders say : speed kills !. oh I get it you guys want to load for what some feel are big bore guns and that's fine,but when I elk hunt or deer hunt with my handloads I plan on kill`n that animal I shoot at on 1st shot out 500 yards ,I have done it many times too and even at longer distances.but now days if I am on hunt that animals are really a long ways out then its time for my custom 338 lapua which some feel still is not a big bore. and that`s funny ! you guys kinda act and post like some of the traditional archers on archery talk,maybe you guys should all hunt out of a horse and buggie too?[/quote[/]

My 338-06 AI same bore diameter definitely won't hang with your Lapua but it's not a big bore not even close ! 33 cal NEVER was and never will be ! With all your posted experience I find it strange you still don't get it .. So since my 338 is a tad puny compared to your's is it still a big bore ??

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 10/31/17.

Woody
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Iffin you wanna talk about bore size and case size
I have an AR50 that reaches out real far.

Most would not even consider it a Big Bore because it is not much of a Huntin gun.

It sure would kill supin in a hurry thou.

That said
It has no place in a lever post.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funshooter, having manned both a Ma Deuce and a Barrett, I concur on the killing ability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike

You must be really awesome.

Almost Uber........in Lithuanian is “Stalks well not”

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Compare how many dead deer you can get in a Corvette vs an old beat-up dump truck.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our mistake was not realizing we were all supposed to bow down before his BLR .300 Win mag. Now that we didn't play by the OP's rules he's taken his ball and gone home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our mistake was not realizing we were all supposed to bow down before his BLR .300 Win mag. Now that we didn't play by the OP's rules he's taken his ball and gone home.

Which he has done MANY times at 500 yards with the BLR he bought last year. But he moved to the 338 L since then.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No one is any more enamored of the original 300 Win. Mag. than me though I no longer own one. I shot a few over a couple decades or more and frankly, in the right rifle platform, 500 yards is just beginning to stretch the legs of the cartridge. Powerful, accurate, great ballistics but not a big bore in any rifle regardless of how much one wants to make it a big bore.

I was a lever nut for several years and had 86's and Marlin's in 45-70, 45-90, 444 Marlin and a couple I've forgotten...oh, I do still have an '86 in 40-82 WCF. Are they big bores? They are in my opinion but not big bores like my 500 BPE, 450/400, the couple 375 H&H's and 416 Rigby I had. They're completely different beasts. No question the 300 WM with a 220 gr. bullet is powerful but no comparison to a 400 gr. bullet out of a Brno 416 Rigby or 500 gr. bullet out of a 500 Jeffery or any of several dozen other real big bores.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
pete53,

300 WinMag isn't even a medium bore, it's a small bore.

"..........Small-bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .32 inches or smaller. It may also refer to small-bore rifle competition. The medium-bore refers to calibers with a diameter between .33 inches up to .39 inches and large-bore refers to calibers with a diameter of .40 inches or larger..........."

Chew on that for a while, and let us know if you feel better, or worse........grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by magshooter1

That's still where I'm at.

Pretty much but sometimes I pick nits over the 40-43's being true big bores vs. large mediums.

As far as the pistol cartridges, that's a tough one because the 454, 475 and 500's from 6" barrels are achieving the same or higher performance as a black powder 45-70 rifle. Those 350-450 gr loads will clock upwards of 1700 fps in a rifle length barrel.

I can't imagine anyone who's fired a 458 lott would ever consider a 300 mag a big bore.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a 458 lott and 416 rigby,but those guns are to much for animals in America,but I guess bore size to many is important,mine is a powerful accurate longer range lever gun I can carry many miles and I guess I was wrong to ask if its considered big bore in this group .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once again, the operative word is BORE. Dat be the hole in the barrel. The word "Big" refers to size of said "bore"

.30 is considered "small".

The CASE used for the .300 mag is rather large in relation to its bore, not the largest, but kinda big. There are bigger.

Yes, it is powerful and capable of long range. I've owned and hunted with .300 Winmag rifles and have a lot of respect for their accuracy and power. It is a versatile round.

I think you'd find your .300 WinMag more destructive to deer and similar sized animals than either the .458 Lott or the 416 Rigby loaded with the usual bullets used in those rounds. You should try them some time or another on deer, just be advised of their penetrative properties. You'd be surprised at the lack of destruction.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes if the hunter uses a poorer cheap bullet and makes a poor shot any bullet tears a terrible hole,that`s why I use barnes- x bullets and swift a-frames, part of the problem is these cheaper bullets have a thinner jacket. when I hunted Wyoming for 15 years my dear friend had a wild game butcher shop ,that I stayed at and the first 10 days we took in around 300 wild game animals about 30 a day, I skinned at least half of them every day or more and in the mourning caped at least 15 heads out myself too , it was nuts there ,fun and learned a lot about guns,bullets, people`s shooting skills and what happens to bullets on many different wild animals., I asked many questions about guns,cartridges, bullets used ,scopes and even knives so I am well aware about all cartridges and what all bores can do. I seen some real nightmares come into that game shop all shot up badly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot cast bullets from Wheel Weights............no problem.

Seen big things killed with cast..........cleanly.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Your big-bores will still do less damage.

You'd really be surprised at how little damage they do to deer sized game.

You just have to decide if you want to put up with the recoil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"my question is do many of you guys consider brownings BLR 300 WIN. MAG a big bore"?

No. I don't even consider my 450-400 Nitro Express a big bore (it is a medium bore in my book).

You are free to call your .300 Winchester Magnum whatever you want. But you did ask for opinions....so there is mine.

Last edited by Tarbe; 11/08/17.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pete, how's the recoil in that .300 mag Browning? I love lever guns, got a bunch of Winchester, Marlin, and Savage levers but I don't have a BLR and that .300 sounds interesting.

[Linked Image]

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Browning BLR does have recoil, very accurate and the clip works great, bullets points don`t get smashed. this powerful lever gun will kill a animal close and still shoot well a long ways out and with a bi-pod 500 -600 yards should still be accurate with a lot of power too. off my cement bench I have shoot mostly 1/2-3/4 inch groups,at 100 yards ,with a straight 6x leupold. i just developed a load for long range mule deer hunt during rutt with a 130 gr. barnes x-bullet,this load shoots under a 3/4 inch group at about 3300 fps. . yes many say this is a small bore but it does have a lot of advantages from 220 grain down to 100 grain bullets.one of the biggest advantages of this 300 WIN . MAG. is this cartridge is available all over the world. I own a lot of rifles ,shoot a lot of bench guns for competition over the years,but for fun I purchased a couple of BLRs a 308 win and a 300 win. mag I have been very impressed with the accuracy and how these BLR`s can shoot much higher pressure cartridges.my dear friend who was a sniper in the service who protected the U.S.A. President also has always been impressed with a BLR too with its accuracy. Sure many will say its not a big bore and their right ,but this caliber 300 WIN. MAG. is one of the most powerful levers that can hold more than one cartridge,ballistics don`t lie. I do plan on buying a couple more BLR`s ,I do wish Browning built more BLR cartridge choices with longer barrels,since black gun sales are down now just maybe Browning will ? my posts are on the regular gun lever area no longer with big bores, too many get upset with my question and its NOT but its a heck of a lever gun in a 300 win.mag !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the Browning BLR does have recoil, very accurate and the clip works great, bullets points don`t get smashed. this powerful lever gun will kill a animal close and still shoot well a long ways out and with a bi-pod 500 -600 yards should still be accurate with a lot of power too. off my cement bench I have shoot mostly 1/2-3/4 inch groups,at 100 yards ,with a straight 6x leupold. i just developed a load for long range mule deer hunt during rutt with a 130 gr. barnes x-bullet,this load shoots under a 3/4 inch group at about 3300 fps. . yes many say this is a small bore but it does have a lot of advantages from 220 grain down to 100 grain bullets.one of the biggest advantages of this 300 WIN . MAG. is this cartridge is available all over the world. I own a lot of rifles ,shoot a lot of bench guns for competition over the years,but for fun I purchased a couple of BLRs a 308 win and a 300 win. mag I have been very impressed with the accuracy and how these BLR`s can shoot much higher pressure cartridges.my dear friend who was a sniper in the service who protected the U.S.A. President also has always been impressed with a BLR too with its accuracy. Sure many will say its not a big bore and their right ,but this caliber 300 WIN. MAG. is one of the most powerful levers that can hold more than one cartridge,ballistics don`t lie. I do plan on buying a couple more BLR`s ,I do wish Browning built more BLR cartridge choices with longer barrels,since black gun sales are down now just maybe Browning will ? my posts are on the regular gun lever area no longer with big bores, too many get upset with my question and its NOT but its a heck of a lever gun in a 300 win.mag !

It isn't your love of the 300 .....it's the fact you ask a question and if anyone gives an answer you don't like you keep bragging on all your guns and what an great shot you are and telling them they are wrong.

If you know everything.......why do you ask questions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're not mad at your questions, you just didn't happen to like our answer. I agree your .300 Win Mag lever is a powerhouse, but if we were on Kodiak I'd rather have my .45-70 than your range.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What did Churchill say about "compressing the least amount of thought into the most words"?

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharps4590
What did Churchill say about "compressing the least amount of thought into the most words"?

Signature line worthy.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like leverguns and I like lever action cartridges. The .300 Win Mag isn't one though.

they are in the browning blr.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think anybody would agree that the 300 WinMag is a powerhouse chambering in the BLR.

It's still a small bore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Browning BLR does have recoil

I would expect it has recoil, I guess I should have ask if it has more recoil in that design than a bolt action rifle. Years ago I had a German made .300 Weatherby and that rifle didn't seem to have much recoil at all....of coarse I was a lot younger then. smile

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
longhunter : it might have a little more recoil than a light bolt action rifle ?? I am 64 years of age believe me the way that BLR handles,shoots and its power its worth it,to have the advantage of long range accuracy in a lever gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've got my curiosity up. I'm going to watch for one. Thanks for the info.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My Ruger #3 and #1 have levers should I post in the lever action forum? j/k

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Paulh
My Ruger #3 and #1 have levers should I post in the lever action forum? j/k

that`s a good question? I guess its the size of the hole at the end of the barrel to be called big bore,so maybe my 458 lott in a number 1 is too ?

Last edited by pete53; 11/27/17.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Technically, the Rugers are Falling Blocks, not lever actions. So...no.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If only there was forum for Single Shots...........they could call it.........Single Shots!!?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Maybe a forum for falling blocks, rolling blocks, trapdoors...that'd be cool.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
what ever is decided rolling block/lever on a Ruger number 1? Ruger no.1 is one of the neat`st rifles ever made in the world and dang accurate too. these days I only hunt with a Ruger no.1 with anymore but I have now been testing and shooting these Browning BLR`S a lot and these BLR levers have impressed me with BLR`s accuracy,handling, clip so bullets don`t get smashed and the ability to handle some powerful cartridges.matter fact my son shot another big muley with a BLR thanksgiving week ,son has fell in love with these BLRs too.

yes a falling block forum would be nice for the Ruger 1`s and whatever else?? maybe even a forum for these Browning BLR`S ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We can talk BLR's in the lever forum. And if it's a BLR in 450 Marlin we can talk it right here.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
We can talk BLR's in the lever forum. And if it's a BLR in 450 Marlin we can talk it right here.

there really should have a forum just for Browning BLR`S ,there is a savage 99 forum, also there should be a forum for newer powerful falling block rifles like the Ruger 1?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 99 had a heck of a run. Worth a forum.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
there really should have a forum just for Browning BLR`S

http://browningowners.com/forum/index.php?forums/browning-blr-rifle.103/

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

in the day of the savage 99 it was a great lever gun,but the 99 is no longer made and what savage told me at the gun dealer show savage will never make this fine lever ever again just too costly for what would be sold. I own a 1/2 dozen 99 lever yes they are a great gun and I hope to aquire a few more at my gun shop. I do worry that Ruger no.1 rifles will be the next to no longer be made,but maybe since black gun market isn`t selling as fast maybe Ruger will continue to make number 1`s ? I do hope Browning continues to make BLR`S also and even decide to offer a couple more calibers like a 338 win.mag. which might be a great seller in Alaska and out west, plus maybe the new koolaid caliber 6.5 Creedmore,that would be a super seller all over and I would even make a few extra bucks at the shop too ! as far as myself contacting Browning ain`t happening until I go to the next dealer show in January.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

in the day of the savage 99 it was a great lever gun,but the 99 is no longer made and what savage told me at the gun dealer show savage will never make this fine lever ever again just too costly for what would be sold. I own a 1/2 dozen 99 lever yes they are a great gun and I hope to aquire a few more at my gun shop. I do worry that Ruger no.1 rifles will be the next to no longer be made,but maybe since black gun market isn`t selling as fast maybe Ruger will continue to make number 1`s ? I do hope Browning continues to make BLR`S also and even decide to offer a couple more calibers like a 338 win.mag. which might be a great seller in Alaska and out west, plus maybe the new koolaid caliber 6.5 Creedmore,that would be a super seller all over and I would even make a few extra bucks at the shop too ! as far as myself contacting Browning ain`t happening until I go to the next dealer show in January.

So if the gun is no longer made it doesn’t matter......

Better tell Little John.........

Where will it end? Two forums for the 300 Win Mag BLR? One for short and one for long barrel?

And look at the numbers sold......not to mention the 99 made it thru The Great Depression and Two World wars.

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

So if the gun is no longer made it doesn’t matter......

Better tell Little John.........

Where will it end? Two forums for the 300 Win Mag BLR? One for short and one for long barrel?

And look at the numbers sold......not to mention the 99 made it thru The Great Depression and Two World wars.

>>>> no I never stated that the forum for savage 99 should be deleted, what I posted on this site/forum was that maybe there should be forum`s for Browning BLR`S and Ruger no.1`s ?

Last edited by pete53; 11/29/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You CAN start a thread on any weapon you care to, and discuss its merits and detractions till the cows come home.

But only a few get an alter to worship them at.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You CAN start a thread on any weapon you care to, and discuss its merits and detractions till the cows come home.

But only a few get an alter to worship them at.

Well put.

Ya never learn anything when you are talking.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
True big bores to me start at 458 cal and 500 grains, I only have two levers that meet my definition, an original 1886 Winchester 45-70 firing 505 gr flat nosed greasers at 1240 fps, and a Turnbull '86 in 50-110 WCF firing 700 gr flat nosed greasers at 1265 fps, both rifles are loaded with black powder.

My 1886 40-65 and M-94 in 38-55 are simply mid bores too me.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I couldn't live in a world where the 444 Marlin is not a big bore. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It is official then...big bore starts at .429.

smile

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Tarbe

smile

LOL Gents, if they would have just twisted em a little tighter to fire at least a 400 gr bullet. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

smile

Thank you. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

smile

LOL Gents, if they would have just twisted em a little tighter to fire at least a 400 gr bullet. smile

That does tend to leave a lot on the table. Going to the heavies opens up a lot of possibilities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

smile

That does tend to leave a lot on the table. Going to the heavies opens up a lot of possibilities.

Fellas old Teddy would roll over in his grave should the 405 be left out..I'm heavy in 45 straight walls but have a new found respect for the 405 especially when pushed over 2K..It's a tiger by the tail and gives any 45/70 a run for its money in penetration..

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Aaaaahhhh yes, the Big Medicine!

That round made quite a reputation with a 300 grain bullet and fairly brisk velocities.

I knqw the .45-70 does pretty good with a 300 grainer and 2K+ velocity, but with a better sectional density, the .405 should dig deeper. You have to go to a bullet weight of 380 grains with the .45-70 to equal the .405's 300 grain SD.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That round made quite a reputation with a 300 grain bullet and fairly brisk velocities.

I knqw the .45-70 does pretty good with a 300 grainer and 2K+ velocity, but with a better sectional density, the .405 should dig deeper. You have to go to a bullet weight of 380 grains with the .45-70 to equal the .405's 300 grain SD.

Vic,,I have a custom 400 gr gas check mold on order for the 405 just to play around with..Like Gunner I'm a Hindenburg fan in all big bores..the bigger the better ! Only question will it stabilize? Wife said what can I get you for Christmas you don't already have two times over so the mold is inbound . grin

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Uncle Elmer didn't think so.He said the bullets for the .405 were too lightly constructed and poor penetration was common. He said the .35 Winchester gave much better penetration.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Uncle Elmer didn't think so.He said the bullets for the .405 were too lightly constructed and poor penetration was common. He said the .35 Winchester gave much better penetration.

Mike,,Uncle Elmer's statement may have been somewhat accurate in the day but hardly applicable to the present with the advent of new bullets such as TSX,.Woodleigh Northfork and others.The 405's rise in popularity has not been solely for nostalgia but in its versatility especially when chambered in the '95 Win or clones.

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The .405 seemed to have worked well on soft-skinned targets, but back in Elmer's day, velocity was the bane of bullets, with no premium examples available.

The .35's 250 grain bullet has a higher sectional density, and with a MV of 2100 or so fps, I can see why it would possibly penetrate better.

Woody, if it stabilizes, that heavy of a bullet ought to penetrate!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

smile

Absolutely, trajectories are a near given any shot, anywhere, anytime, especially at ranges lever guns are fired, the heavies buck wind better and are massive penetrators, for example, a 50 A.E. with it's 50 cal 325 gr shirt button stubby bullet can never be a big bore.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Vic,,I have a custom 400 gr gas check mold on order for the 405 just to play around with..Like Gunner I'm a Hindenburg fan in all big bores..the bigger the better ! Only question will it stabilize? Wife said what can I get you for Christmas you don't already have two times over so the mold is inbound . grin

'Ol Ted probably wouldn't mind 'heavy medium', he sorta looked like a heavy medium himselfgrin, I can tell you what 40 cal and 400 grains will do in the 400 Whelen and 40-65 Sharps rifle, everyone knows what they've been getting done for over 100 years in Africa for ALL game in the 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery ;]

Congrats on the new mould, plus, you can find bullet stabilization charts online to see exactly what the twist in your rifle will stabilize.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

'Ol Ted probably wouldn't mind 'heavy medium', he sorta looked like a heavy medium himselfgrin, I can tell you what 40 cal and 400 grains will do in the 400 Whelen and 40-65 Sharps rifle, everyone knows what they've been getting done for over 100 years in Africa for ALL game in the 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery ;]

Congrats on the new mould, plus, you can find bullet stabilization charts online to see exactly what the twist in your rifle will stabilize.

Jerry, this new 400 grain mold drops a bullet which is the 40 cal clone of the 480 gr. 45 Parker Hale so with the added length of the 405 case even with the long seating depth there's still enough boiler room to get this behemoth up to speed !

Woody
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Jerry, this new 400 grain mold drops a bullet which is the 40 cal clone of the 480 gr. 45 Parker Hale so with the added length of the 405 case even with the long seating depth there's still enough boiler room to get this behemoth up to speed !

Now that put a big grin on my face! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...Jerry, this new 400 grain mold drops a bullet which is the 40 cal clone of the 480 gr. 45 Parker Hale so with the added length of the 405 case even with the long seating depth there's still enough boiler room to get this behemoth up to speed !

Now that put a big grin on my face! grin

Ed

Ed, hopefully the profile will do what it does so well in 45 attire. Anxious for its arrival it'll top 400 grs easily with 30:1 alloy... This bullet might just kill some big animals really dead, but shouldn't kill smaller animals TOO dead.
grin

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just put some good lanyards on your dentures. Hang on to your hat!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Guess I'll get to see just how good my new Kick Killer recoil pad works on the '95 ..Their claim to fame is a 50% reduction...

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like it will help. You get to chunking that big ol' bullet, you're gonna appreciate it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rather fond of 40's and the 400-410 gr. bullet myself. My Shiloh #1 Sporter in 40-70 SS and the Lyman 410 gr. cast bullet will go through a deer lengthways. Worked up a cast load for my Ruger #1 in 450/400 using the same bullet over Trail Boss and ended up with nearly identical ballistics to the 40-70. Can't imagine results would be any different. I keep some full house 450/400 loads on hand in case we ever have an influx of elephant or Cape Buffalo in our garden.

NRA Benefactor 2008

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Guess I'll get to see just how good my new Kick Killer recoil pad works on the '95 ..Their claim to fame is a 50% reduction...

Those work pretty well. I put one on my .50-90 C. Sharps hunters carbine. Don't think it "reduces" the recoil, but makes it a less painful and more pleasant experience! crazy

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tmitch

Those work pretty well. I put one on my .50-90 C. Sharps hunters carbine. Don't think it "reduces" the recoil, but makes it a less painful and more pleasant experience! crazy

[Linked Image]

That's so reassuring ! grin

Woody
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.