Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, similar to RL-17 before pressure-tested data came out.

Alliant's data for 26 shows it has perhaps a 100 fps advantage in certain cartridge/bullet weight combos, such as the .243 Winchester with 100-105's and the .270 Winchester with 150's. Maybe there's something else I missed, but other powders match 26 for velocity in most other combinations.

It's pretty awesome in the 7WSM with heavies, as well.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's about 2 grains difference in case capacity, in favor of the .260. Since both cases hold around 50 grains of powder with a bullet seated, a 4% difference, this means there's about a 1% "advantage" in potential muzzle velocity for the .260 with the same bullet weights, on average, when using the same powders and bullets, loaded to the same pressures.

Obviously different rifles with vary slightly, but if you feel 1% is enough to go .260 (meaning around 27 fps with 140-grain bullets) then you should also consider the fact that long, high BC boattails can be seated near the lands in a 6.5 Creedmoor with a standard 2.84" magazine box, but not in a .260. Thus accuracy will usually be somewhat better in a Creedmoor with high-BC bullets, which makes up the 1% difference in potential velocity in less than 75 yards.

A longer magazine will solve this in a .260, but overall the Creedmoor has so many advantages these days that unless you want to use cheap .308 brass to make .260 cases, there's no reason to choose the .260.

I am sure many .260 fans will argue this, but I have experience with the .260 going back almost 20 years, and plenty with the Creedmoor as well.

I really like your reply, BTW.

The main reason why I criticize the 700/722 short actions is due to my perception of the inability to seat bullets due to short magazines with some cartridges. Making it difficult to get top accuracy with certain cartridges, especially with 257 Roberts, 244, and 6mm Remington. But even the 308 case based cartridges are limited, in my opinion. What was done with the Creedmoor, (close/similar to a 300 savage AI necked to the proper caliber) the ability of seating the bullet as needed is restored to some extent.

Building a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 260 (or even the x57 cartridges) on a Mauser action (or similar length actions) and the advantage of the Creedmoor design lessens, again in my opinion.

(I own a few 722 and short action 700's BTW)

In short, I think that in selecting the cartridge the action and magazine length should be taken into consideration. If I were to buy a factory short action 700 and felt that a 6.5 was needed and felt that the rifle was going to be used for other than woods hunting deer -- such as antelope or prairie hunting -- I'd go with the Creedmoor.

But then again, I prefer the longer actions.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/20/17.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve had a couple of both, in factory and custom guise. None of the factory rifles would kiss a VLD/AMax and feed it from a standard SA mag box with either the 6.5 Creed or the .260. When going custom.... it’s just as easy to specify what you’d like... so it’s a wash either way.

There is no difference between the two in the field... zilch.

The only advantages the Creed has... are excellent inexpensive factory ammo, and more rifles available.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It sure appears RL-26 is directed at overbore chamberings and heavy bullets. That's probably why all the RL-26 data on Alliant's website are for the classic overbores.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger

Building a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 260 (or even the x57 cartridges) on a Mauser action (or similar length actions) and the advantage of the Creedmoor design lessens, again in my opinion.

(I own a few 722 and short action 700's BTW)

Or, have our gunsmith cut a thread off and rechamber with a short throat. Lots less expensive than building another rifle.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dogshooter,

That's the dirty little secret of the 6.5 Creedmoor: The longest high-BC bullets can't be seated to the lands in some factory rifles, and still have the rounds fit in the magazine.

However, high-BC bullets just a little shorter will almost always work, such as the 139 Lapua Scenar. which is probably part of the reason that companies like Berger are making some slightly shorter-ogived bullets with BC's just about as high as the longer ones.

My present .260 (a Tikka T3) wouldn't even allow either 130 or 140 AccuBonds (the standard models, not the 129 or 142 LRAB) out to the lands.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I’ve had a couple of both, in factory and custom guise. None of the factory rifles would kiss a VLD/AMax and feed it from a standard SA mag box with either the 6.5 Creed or the .260. When going custom.... it’s just as easy to specify what you’d like... so it’s a wash either way.

There is no difference between the two in the field... zilch.

The only advantages the Creed has... are excellent inexpensive factory ammo, and more rifles available.

Pretty much sums up the whole argument.....

And the fact that Rem hamstringed the 260 right outta the gates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Back to my original querry, where is the pressure tested data for the 260 / 6.5 CM and RL26?

I see lots of anectdotal data, where is the laboratory tested data?

Brad,
Here’s some factory data:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/6.5-Creedmoor-135gr.pdf

http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/260-Rem-135gr.pdf

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Back to my original querry, where is the pressure tested data for the 260 / 6.5 CM and RL26?

I see lots of anectdotal data, where is the laboratory tested data?

Brad,
Here’s some factory data:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/6.5-Creedmoor-135gr.pdf

http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/260-Rem-135gr.pdf

Thanks.

However, Berger doesn't actually test loads with pressure equipment... they use Quick Load.

Given that RL26 is VERY new, and there is no data from its mfg in the 260/Creed, I can't fathom how Berger thinks they have any idea what it's really doing?

Not anything I'd hang my hat on.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Berger doesn't actually test loads with pressure equipment... they use Quick Load.

Exactly.

I still have my one Creedmoor rigged for the Pressure Trace. Spare time isn't something I have much of just now, but I'll see whether I can get some Re-26 traces in the next several weeks. Honestly, it might not be before December, but I'll try.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Originally Posted by montanabadger
My experience is limited, as I'm just starting in the 6.5 game. I was able to get 2930 out of a 27 inch barrel, with a 143 grain ELD-X, over RL 26, out of a 6.5 creedmoor

Factory or custom cut chamber?

Custom cut in a long action.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by keith

R#26 is changing how a lot of us think about mid size cases, even in the 6.5x47 lapua with the 140's...2850 plus a tad.

Is there any actual factory, pressure tested data for these rounds with RL26?

It's now the official rifle loony Wonder Powder--it will always be reported as "I see no pressure signs"...........even when it turns out they're running 75k psi.........

Berger has data for the 135 grain classic hunter in their wed site

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
NM

Last edited by Brad; 10/25/17.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
IOn case anybody couldn't have guessed from my previous posts on this thread, anybody who actually worries about the difference in muzzle velocity between the 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington needs to get a life. Even rifle loonies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
thank you John
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My Tikka T3 in 260 Rem. shoots best at 2850 fps with 120 BTs and 2710fps with 143ELDX. This is with a 22.6 inch factory barrel. Not the hottest load, but these are just under 1/2 MOA for 3 shots.

Starting over, I would go with 6.5 CM because of the selection of good ammo, the mag limitations of most 260, and the cool name.

Good thing with the Tikka is a simple bolt stop mod and a $40 mag replacement allows you to load bullets up to 3.4 inches. (Still missing the cool name.)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

EVEN RIFLE LOONIES?!!!

Awww man.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IOn case anybody couldn't have guessed from my previous posts on this thread, anybody who actually worries about the difference in muzzle velocity between the 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington needs to get a life. Even rifle loonies.

Yep, pick your poison.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 Creedmoor - drive it as fast as you want, but my experience across 3 rifles tells me the sweet spot for accuracy will be ~2700fps with the 140-143gr projectiles.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dogshooter,

That's the dirty little secret of the 6.5 Creedmoor: The longest high-BC bullets can't be seated to the lands in some factory rifles, and still have the rounds fit in the magazine.

However, high-BC bullets just a little shorter will almost always work, such as the 139 Lapua Scenar. which is probably part of the reason that companies like Berger are making some slightly shorter-ogived bullets with BC's just about as high as the longer ones.

My present .260 (a Tikka T3) wouldn't even allow either 130 or 140 AccuBonds (the standard models, not the 129 or 142 LRAB) out to the lands.

Is seating bullets out to the lands a big deal for accuracy?

I have several Sako's and Tikka's, some rebarreled some factory. Bullets are seated to magazine length for hunting (always way short of the lands) and for target shooting set the bullet ~0.015" off the lands. The target loads are single loaded as they won't fit the magazine.

I strive for 0.3-4 moa (5 shot groups) all the way out to 1000+ yards and generally able to get it with factory and after market barrels with no particular seating depth fidgeting. Rifles are mechanically sound.

I do load the ammunition following the OCW and OBT criteria , tune with powder charge , with the aid of QuickLoad and a LabRadar.

As a side note, I've found for my particular 260 Rem that I can not get on a node with the 140gn bullets with out stepping above the design pressure. 136 gn Lapua's fixed that, OCW and OBT are right on and are 0.013" off the lands for no particular reason.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.