Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Which would you choose in the list below:

Bushnell Elite Conx 1 Mile
Zeiss Victory PRF
Sig Kilo 2000
Vortex Ranger 1500

The Bushnell is currently on sale for $280 which is a darn good deal, but I don't read much about them. The Zeiss is on sale for $499 as well.

Size and weight aren't a huge issue really. I just want something that is going to be reliable.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with those, but hey this is the Campfire! laugh I have the Sig Kilo 1250 and it is awesome, quick to range and seems to be very accurate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was really impressed with a buddies Sig Kilo 1250 I borrowed last season. Haven't tried the others. I'll probably by the Sig Kilo 2000 as my next range finder.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Out of that list the SIG is the deal.

I run a Leica but if I did it again I’d probably do the SIG.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
sig for the win.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The Sig but I'd do the 2200MR. It's the 2000 updated with a couple of tweaks and a better reticle. If you shop around you can find one for not much more than the 2000.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

This summer I had the chance to compare two different Vortex 1500's, two different Kilo 2000's, and a Kilo 2200.

The Kilo's range further, and generally range to their limit easier. They work well in bright sunshine. The Vortex was often hard pressed to range large reflective targets much beyond 1000 yds in bright light when the sun was facing me. In low light, late evening almost dark kind of light, and on one drizzly day, the Vortex would range targets when the Kilo's wouldn't. Even at 200-300 yds in really poor light conditions the Vortex would range successfully and the Kilos wouldn't. There seemed to be a very small difference in the ability to range further with the 2200 vs the 2000's. On scan mode the Kilos do read very fast, but the Vortex was really only a split second behind. I ranged a lot of cattle, and a few deer and elk. The same thing applied.

Ranging a deer can be a tough proposition when branches or terrain kind've get in the way, and that interference is a great equalizer when comparing rangefinders advertised at longer distances. There were plenty of times when none of the range finders would work if branches and/or terrain interfered. So a guy is often reduced to ranging an object closer, or off to one side, of the target critter and then guesstimating the difference. Sometimes a rangefinder isn't much of an advantage.

When I bought my first rangefinder 10+ years ago I found my range estimating ability wasn't that far off. But once in a while it was really off. Still, one of the biggest benefits for me was I'm better at estimating range now after messing with rangefinders for the past decade.

Although it's interesting to range non-reflective deer and elk out to 800-1000 yds, I ain't ever shooting anything remotely that far, plus I had a gift certificate to a retailer that sold Vortex but not the Sigs. Money and the ability to range in poor light conditions bought me the Vortex.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd probably go with the Sig if I had to replace my Leica. My first klunky Bushnell 500 was ok but I avoid most Bushnell products after a couple of scopes fell apart on me. I like Zeiss but didn't choose them last time and Vortex is ok with the best warranty.

Honestly there are so many more capable rangefinders than a normal hunter can use the range and features.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used my Sig, now, for quite awhile. It is great and not real expensive. I have pushed mine to over 700 yards on deer and antelope, although I never shoot that far. Nice unit and for the price you quoted, a very good deal.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Apparently no one here has used the Zeiss.I think that and the Swaro are the best made.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Zeiss. Like it a lot, but it doesn't have angle compensation, etc. Very simple, very fast and works well for me.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

In low light, late evening almost dark kind of light, and on one drizzly day, the Vortex would range targets when the Kilo's wouldn't. Even at 200-300 yds in really poor light conditions the Vortex would range successfully and the Kilos wouldn't.

That's strange because I have a sig kilo 2000 and it ranges just as well at night as it does in the day, I was ranging juniper trees by moonlight at 1400 yds a couple of weeks ago. I also have a leica 1200 and it works fine at night also. The lasers are IR so day or night shouldn't have an effect on them.

Water vapor will greatly impair a LRF, mist or fog plays hell with all of them. Water vapor absorbs IR light in the spectrum they operate so fog will pretty much shut them down.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.