Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Does new Nosler brass shoot good on it's first loading? Would I be just as well off loading older once fired brass from Federal or Hornady, if they were once fired from a different rifle?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have used nosler brass it works fine for hunting loads,if you were into targets rifles lapua is the only brass to use

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In my experience if the handloader's technique and equipment are good then for any given batch of brass it's best firing is the second, being carefully prepared 1x fired.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Does new Nosler brass shoot good on it's first loading? Would I be just as well off loading older once fired brass from Federal or Hornady, if they were once fired from a different rifle?

I like to start with new brass for my own rifles. Once fired from different rifles can be a pain in the rear if the chamber of the other rifle is bigger than your chamber.

New Nosler brass is fine. I've found very little difference in most rifles between new brass and once fired. My cousin took a nice bull elk last week at 300 yds with ammo I loaded in new unfired nosler brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used quite a bit of Nosler brass over the last few years, particularly in 270Win and 300 WM. As far as accuracy, it is very nice stuff, near perfect finish and uniformity, when virgin.
However, I agree with mathman, I like that second loading for hunting.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s very good brass, pretty much ready to load.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It will be as accurate--or not--as any other brand of new brass.

All the Noz brass I've tried has been exceptionally soft. I've stopped using it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Let me expand on that......

There is no such thing as "accurate brass". Some brands are more uniform than other brands, but regardless there is a certain amount of checking and prep involved, regardless of brand. Some brands/batches require more prep than other brands/batches. Some brass has more capacity than others. Some rifles may exhibit a preference for a brand. But as a general rule I can make any brass accurate. But there has been exceptions when it appears a individual rifle didn't like that particular brand or batch of brass.

Brass doesn't become accurate until it fits the chamber with fire forming in the rifle it's going to be used in, and is sized in a manner that promotes bullet concentricity.

And of course, a rifle may like a particular factory ammo, or like the shape of new brass, and shoot lights out. It happens.

I don't think I've ever taken handloads with new brass hunting.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 10/22/17.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

All the Noz brass I've tried has been exceptionally soft. I've stopped using it.

Can you expand?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just trimming the Noz brass on Forster trimmers I could tell it was soft. But moderate, and even minimum loads produced extractor marks. This is in rifles and loads I'm familiar with and being run through an accurate chono.

A little less than 2800fps with middling loads of H4831 and H4350 with 95 NBt's and the brass in a 243 was flowing into the extractor. Same thing with two 270's and a 30-06.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How many do you have? If you have a box of 50 like I do for my 8x57, these were on sale at Fleet-Farm for $30!!, I ran them through my die, primed, loaded and shot 10. I shot two 5 shot groups at 100 yrds, they printed 1.5 inches max, with most falling around an inch. Close enough for deer here in Northern Wi. I`ve loaded 20 more for November.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've found that bullet runout has more effect on accuracy than whether the brass is new or once fired. However, all of my rifles have min spec chambers and minimum headspace so new brass isn't going to expand as much as in a factory rifle. My bull this year was also taken with handloads in new unfired brass. In my case it was Norma brass that I'd prepped and neck turned, but the cases I took hunting were unfired. I had 28 unfired cases left from the original 100, I'd used the others over the years for hunting and load workup and they were getting a little long in the tooth. After working up loads in the older cases I pulled out the new cases and loaded them for the hunt. I spun the loaded ammo on a concentricity gauge and used the straightest ones for hunting, I marked those over .003" runout as sighters. The 145 Barnes LRX worked on my bull at 380 yds.

For my prairie dog rifles I use the cheapest decent brass available and make it straight. The last 22-250 I had built I bought 500 pieces of Prvi brass then sorted, trimmed, neck turned, uniformed the primer pockets, deburred the flash hole and annealed. It's now as good as anything out there and shoots great. I likely wouldn't have had to do that with Lapua brass but it just took a little time and I enjoy the hobby, and I saved some money.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Oh, I have no problem with accuracy or how uniform they are. But I ain't going to run 3100fps with the 95gr NBT's using THAT brass. The entire case would probably flow into my bolt body........then I'd have hell'uva mess.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've found that bullet runout has more effect on accuracy.

Exactly

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I use Nosler brass exclusively in my 243. 95gr. Partitions at an average of 3156 and 100gr. Hornady Interlocks at an average of 3033. No brass flow, no pressure signs at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use it in 338 Winchester 7mm STW and 25 06 Remington. Although I prefer once fired in my hunting loads .I have found no difference between once fired or virgin hulls accuracy wise.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Using some bagged Nosler 6.5x55 brass I found a good deal on. I loaded "pulled" 120g NBT's that I got here over R-19 all the way up to 0.5g over Nosler max. in my T3 Lite SS the worst group during development was just over 0.8" Most of the rest were 0.4-0.5".

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Using some bagged Nosler 6.5x55 brass I found a good deal on. I loaded "pulled" 120g NBT's that I got here over R-19 all the way up to 0.5g over Nosler max. in my T3 Lite SS the worst group during development was just over 0.8" Most of the rest were 0.4-0.5".

3 or 5 shot groups? I'm chasing ultimate accuracy with my Forbes but I'm getting 5 shot groups in the .5's and 3 shot groups in the .15's and .2's. I may be at the point where I just need to stop obsessing about how good I can get it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I'm getting 5 shot groups in the .5's and 3 shot groups in the .15's and .2's. I may be at the point where I just need to stop obsessing about how good I can get it.

You're there for a light weight field rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.[/quote]

3 or 5 shot groups? I'm chasing ultimate accuracy with my Forbes but I'm getting 5 shot groups in the .5's and 3 shot groups in the .15's and .2's. I may be at the point where I just need to stop obsessing about how good I can get it.[/quote]

I say you should quit your in danger of recto cranial inversion. The Forbs is a light hunting rifle and a .15-.2 group is about as good as it can get. But I stop way off that at a half inch or on a big boomer once I get to around an inch or less. I doubt a NULA would do any better than your Forbs and almost all of them are very accurate. My Forbs is showing promise but I have not even tried it on a decent rest yet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.