Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think what I'm looking for is a M 80 neon test light....I've got the old service manual and have managed to get the engine running pretty good, but it still has an intermittent miss/burp both at low and high RPMs (carbs are good).... the only test procedures they give for the CD ignition system are with the neon tester.... anybody have one they'd be willing to sell or let me use???

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pm sent...

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by robertacabin
Pm sent...

PM replied to....I'm still looking for the tester.... cry

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
The "Stevens" model S80 will also work...

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Hocked my wife’s diamond ring, bought me an outboard Evinrude.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Damn thing wouldn't fire up yesterday...even with starting fluid...I guess it's time to break out the $2 dummie light tester and hook up a remote starter....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Damn thing wouldn't fire up yesterday...even with starting fluid...I guess it's time to break out the $2 dummie light tester and hook up a remote starter....

Whirl it over holding each plug wire one at a time. That will tell you if you have a spark problem. Don't need no test light.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 10/22/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old enough /with points and condenser?... If so cut it out and add electronic ing...simple easy and u never look back !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What year and model motor is it?

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by benchman
What year and model motor is it?

It's a 1972...model 50273C....CD ignition.

Originally Posted by atvalaska
Old enough /with points and condenser?... If so cut it out and add electronic ing...simple easy and u never look back !

No...like I said in the OP, it's a CD (capacitor discharge) ignition.
Little electronic switches inside the power pack open and close to both store and release current to get sent to the coils.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Make shift replacement on this thread.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?33085-Interchangable-parts
Or this is the latest and greatest from company that made the neon tester.
http://www.stevensinstrument.com/peak_dva.htm

Swifty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Boy, I'd suspect a short somewhere, or a faulty coil. Look for something grounding out...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Boy, I'd suspect a short somewhere, or a faulty coil. Look for something grounding out.. think these guys might have what you need. http://www.outboardignition.com/page1.asp. #511-9764.....I think...

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Boy, I'd suspect a short somewhere, or a faulty coil. Look for something grounding out.. think these guys might have what you need. http://www.outboardignition.com/page1.asp. #511-9764.....I think...

I can make a spark gap tester....

Originally Posted by Swifty52

Yeah, but did you notice the price tag??? Hell, for $330 I can buy the parts for a new ignition system...

Just a little while ago I went out and was fiddling around with it, & it's running again...I didn't do anything...the only difference between now and this morning and yesterday, is about 20 degrees...are any of the CD ignition components that susceptible to temps?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
EEK! didn't see that....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

I can make a spark gap tester....

Originally Posted by Swifty52

Yeah, but did you notice the price tag??? Hell, for $330 I can buy the parts for a new ignition system...

Just a little while ago I went out and was fiddling around with it, & it's running again...I didn't do anything...the only difference between now and this morning and yesterday, is about 20 degrees...are any of the CD ignition components that susceptible to temps?

No but fuel mixture is. CD ignitions were never very good at igniting lean mixtures.

Swifty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What your problem is that you have one of those '72 Evinrude No Starts.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Boy, I'd suspect a short somewhere, or a faulty coil. Look for something grounding out...

On further inspection, it looks like the current stator charge coils have leaked fluid sometime in the past and it has hardened into an epoxy like substance on top of the engine...also hardened "drips" under the charge coils...I also found that there is a tiny amount of fuel spray coming out the carb on the #1 cylinder cry which means I probably have an issue with the top set of leaf plates....the good news is that both cylinders still have about 150 lbs. of compression, which is the only reason I even started trying to get this engine running in the first place....I think I'll just go ahead and sell my "kicker" motor so I can spring for a complete new ignition system....

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I finally got everything sorted out in case anybody was interested...I sold my kicker motor and ordered a complete new ignition system (timer base, stator, power pack, ignition switch) for a little under $400. I also had to order a gasket for the leaf plate (reed valves) which I found had a thin break causing the "burping" of fuel...beat the hell out of trying to find a serviceable reed valve assy. Replacing the stator and timer base/trigger sensor made the biggest difference, but since the throttle linkage also controls the timing, I had to first set the timing, then reconnect the throttle linkage and synchronize it with the timer base... the only part I put on that didn't seem to help with performance was the power pack, which will be nice to keep as a spare....I haven't had the time to put it in the lake and run it under a load, but with the "rabbit ears" on, it's purring like a new motor....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,109
Posts18,464,293
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.