Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Squidge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a really bad idea that Congress is currently considering as a part of tax reform.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ontributions-at-2400-per-year-2017-10-20

Republicans are looking for ways to generate revenue to support broad reductions in individual tax rates. One idea is to limit the amount of pretax money households can sock away for retirement saving. Such a move would likely generate significant political blowback but it hasn’t been explicitly ruled out, stirring worry among industry lobbyists.

Members of the House Ways and Means Committee are widely expected to release a version of the tax bill by mid-November. Specifics on a wide range of issues remain unclear. Emily Schillinger, a spokeswoman for the Ways and Means Committee, declined to comment.

Lobbyists and others in the retirement and financial services industries who have spoken to congressional staff and committee members say lawmakers are looking at proposals that would allow 401(k) participants to contribute significantly less than what is currently allowed in a traditional tax-deferred 401(k). An often mentioned amount is $2,400 a year. It isn’t clear whether that would only apply to 401(k)s or IRAs or both.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ya i read about that. short term gain, long term pain. these fuggers will continue to shoot themselves in the foot until they have no feet left.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if that's true or more subversive crap from the media, but if true, consider that it will cut the tax you pay when you draw money out. Conventional wisdom is that you'll be in a lower bracket then, but many people use a chunk of their savings right at the beginning of their retirement. Having after-tax money in the account to draw can save you money then, as long as you're past the age for penalty-free withdrawals. Also, if dire necessity forces you to pull some out before retirement, the after-tax money can be used and you only pay the 10% penalty, not that plus taxes.

The important thing is to save, and work the system, whatever it is, to your best advantage.

All that said, I agree that the slimy bastards continue to amaze me with the crap they come up with. If we ever get a Constitutional convention put together, one of the changes should be that everything that applies to us, applies to them exactly the same way.

What fresh Hell is this?
Squidge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A few more details, this is being described as the "Rothification" of retirement savings. I am skeptical that this sort of change will encourage saving for retirement.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/356489-financial-industry-worried-gop-tax-plan-will-change-401ks

Currently, people under the age of 50 can contribute up to $18,000 annually to their traditional 401(k) plans. Those contributions are paid before taxes, meaning people don’t pay taxes on the money until they pull it out of their account.

The potential change that people following the tax bill are hearing about would lower the maximum annual contribution to $2,400. Amounts over $2,400 could be put into Roth 401(k)s, where the money is taxed upfront but not when it’s withdrawn.

It’s unclear how seriously lawmakers are considering reducing the cap on pretax contributions to 401(k)s. But industry groups are worried that dramatically lowering it would reduce the amount that people save for their retirement.

Lowering the cap on pretax contributions would raise revenue in the short-term, which would help lawmakers pay for lowering tax rates. Under the budget resolution that Senate Republicans approved Thursday, a tax-reform bill can’t add more than $1.5 trillion to the deficit over 10 years.

But critics of a reduction in the 401(k) limit say that so-called “Rothification” is a budget gimmick that would raise revenue temporarily, but lower it in the long run.

While employers can currently give workers the option of choosing between traditional 401(k)s or “Roth” accounts, most workers choose the former, where the money is deposited on a pretax basis.

According to the Investment Company Institute (ICI), about 55 million Americans participate in 401(k) plans, and the plans hold about $5 trillion in assets. The group found that 80 percent of households with 401(k)s and other types of defined-contribution retirement plans think the tax treatment of the plans is a big motivator for contributing.

Last edited by RickBin; 10/22/17.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It'll never happen, Wall Street takes in too much money from the constant flow of dollars into 401K's. They're not going to let that get taken away.

Any tax reform bill will take into account Wall Street's wants first, that's just the way it works. Congress is bought and paid for by wall street. In just the same way Obamacare was written to enrich the big health insurance companies and pharmaceuticals. Follow the money first, all else is just gum flapping.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's a terrible idea. If anything, they need to raise the cap. With company sponsored pensions dying off and social security becoming questionable, saving for retirement is more important than ever. The pre-tax 401k money is the best thing allot of Americans are offered. Is this essentially a sleazy way to raise taxes on those preparing for their future by increasing their taxable income?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as you can put amounts in excess of the 2400, I don't see it as much of a threat to retirement savings. Money managers could do this automatically.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, it is absolutely wonderful for anyone under about 50.

Take a 25 year old that puts away 10% of his $50,000 household income per year (that's under the national average household income, btw). At age 65, invested at the average stock market return of 11%, that turns into $3,200,000 and change. $200,000 of that are contributions, the rest is interest.

In the traditional pre-tax 401K structure, the whole shebang is taxable. Keep it in a Roth structure, and EVERYTHING is tax free..... Three million in tax free interest income. That's about a cool million in tax savings in retirement.

Why is anyone complaining about this?

If you can't put it in Roth's either, real estate and mutual funds that create little capital gains (i.e. low turn over funds such as index funds) can approximate Roth, although there you will be taxed at capital gains rates, but they are considerably lower than income tax rates.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Encourage even more people to blow their money, NOT save, and become even more dependant on the government. All in the name of allowing the govt to get a little more tax money up front, rather than waiting to tax the money on the back end, when it's withdrawn. $2400 a year is a joke...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Encourage even more people to blow their money, NOT save, and become even more dependant on the government. All in the name of allowing the govt to get a little more tax money up front, rather than waiting to tax the money on the back end, when it's withdrawn. $2400 a year is a joke...

Exactly what a business friendly Congress wants. Our "system" is designed around consumption, the more we save the less we consume and business hates that.

Flat tax to pay for what we NEED, fairly distribute the burden among all citizens.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dutch

Take a 25 year old that puts away 10% of his $50,000 household income per year (that's under the national average household income, btw). At age 65, invested at the average stock market return of 11%, that turns into $3,200,000 and change. $200,000 of that are contributions, the rest is interest.

In the traditional pre-tax 401K structure, the whole shebang is taxable. Keep it in a Roth structure, and EVERYTHING is tax free..... Three million in tax free interest income. That's about a cool million in tax savings in retirement.

If you can't put it in Roth's either, real estate and mutual funds that create little capital gains (i.e. low turn over funds such as index funds) can approximate Roth, although there you will be taxed at capital gains rates, but they are considerably lower than income tax rates.

That is the way I see it from the snippets given early in this thread. It sounds like they are drastically increasing the amount of money that can go into the Roth style investment, providing better investing options for most of us. The government would lose in the long run, losing out on the taxing of all the money that is made in interest. The Gov would collect more money now.... if that is the goal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congress has been changing 401k rules ever since they cam into being in 1978. Doesn’t matter I’ve made a crap load of money since I first start investing in them in 1986 and across several employers. I’ve used both the pretax and after tax, called “Roth” now, contribution process depending on my investment goals. Just run the numbers out every year and make your play.

No need for a freak out.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch

I agree with some of your concepts, but your numbers suck. You're mixing apples and kumquats, repeatedly

25 year old doesn't have 50000 average income, I'll bet.

If he puts in 5000 taxed, he had to earn 6000 (20% income tax)

How many 40 year spans had 11% annual growth? NASDAQ? DJIA? what fund had that 40 year growth, which 40 years? Pick 40 years with 1987 and 2008 in it?

25 year old is paying rent, car payment, utilities, food, what does that add up to? 500 a month might be better on a house. unless your town takes a crap.

I agree, if lucky, retirees will be in higher bracket than when they started. who knows what the hell the rules will be then.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore

I agree with some of your concepts, but your numbers suck. You're mixing apples and kumquats, repeatedly

25 year old doesn't have 50000 average income, I'll bet.

If he puts in 5000 taxed, he had to earn 6000 (20% income tax)

How many 40 year spans had 11% annual growth? NASDAQ? DJIA? what fund had that 40 year growth, which 40 years? Pick 40 years with 1987 and 2008 in it?

25 year old is paying rent, car payment, utilities, food, what does that add up to? 500 a month might be better on a house. unless your town takes a crap.

I agree, if lucky, retirees will be in higher bracket than when they started. who knows what the hell the rules will be then.

Sycamore

Fair enough. Let's take a closer look at those "sucky" numbers.

Note I said HOUSEHOLD income. A married 25 year old with two incomes at $12.50 per hour. Is that really an unreasonable assumption? That's more than 10% below the average household income. Further, I assumed NO raises for the entire 40 year span. I think that for a back-of-the-envelope scenario, it's rather conservative.

11% is the average annual total stock market return for the last 100 some odd years. That includes the crash of 29, and every other downturn in history. Black Monday, the Great Recession, all of them. As a matter of fact, pick any five year period, and there's about a 90% chance that an investment in the stock market gives a positive return. The average stock market return is three times that of bonds and real estate and more than five times that of gold. From 1990 to 2016, the S&P return was 10.94%. From 1909 to 2016, it was 11.96%. That's pretty darn consistent, don't you agree?

You can look up the stock market return for any period at http://www.moneychimp.com/features/market_cagr.htm. As the site mentions, the most important return is the 7% net return after inflation.

A common recommendation for retirement savings is 15% of your take home pay. A household at $50k gross is in the 15% tax bracket, so 10% of gross is actually a bit more conservative than the recommended 15%. That we have raised a generation of entitled consumerists that have no concept of saving, nor living within their means, is beside the point. There's lots of people with household incomes at $30K that are making it ok. If you can't make it at $50K, you need to learn how to control your spending.

Let's tart with driving a car that's paid for: the average car payment is almost $600 per month. Which is the amount of savings in this discussion. Now, let's go TOTALLY CRAZY, and have both husband and wife drive paid for cars! I know, whacky, right, but they would be able to save the 10%, AND put money away for the down payment on a home! But, let's not go into the absurd...... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tax cuts should involve the government looking inward. Not outward.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So the defined pension plans got tits up because they’ve been pilfered, robbed and mismanaged. In order to save for retirement and in lieu of a defined pension a worker has to make larger contributions to their 401K but if this arbitrary restriction is placed on the 401K there’ll be an entire generation without enough for retirement and that will place a huge demand on the government to make up the difference.

At $2400 a year max that means that over a 40 year career, not including interest or fees a worker can expect to have around $96,000 dollars for their retirement account....40 years from now. 😬

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote: Dutch

Let's start with driving a car that's paid for: the average car payment is almost $600 per month. Which is the amount of savings in this discussion. Now, let's go TOTALLY CRAZY, and have both husband and wife drive paid for cars! I know, whacky, right, but they would be able to save the 10%, AND put money away for the down payment on a home! But, let's not go into the absurd...... wink

What an unusual idea. Driving a paid for car. That's what we do. We have 3 paid for vehicles, 2 of which I bought used for cash. One is a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4WD, and a 2008 Chevrolet P/U truck, and my wife has the newest, a 2014 Toyota Highlander. The reason for 3 is for a spare in case one gets out of commission or one of our adult kids needs to borrow a truck. It sure is nice to not have a monthly payment. It helps my wife to be able to afford to put the maximum that her employer will match in her IRA every month. We wanted to be able to help our own family and not finance some banker's kid's education. Using other people's money is a bad idea IMO.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
So the defined pension plans got tits up because they’ve been pilfered, robbed and mismanaged. In order to save for retirement and in lieu of a defined pension a worker has to make larger contributions to their 401K but if this arbitrary restriction is placed on the 401K there’ll be an entire generation without enough for retirement and that will place a huge demand on the government to make up the difference.

At $2400 a year max that means that over a 40 year career, not including interest or fees a worker can expect to have around $96,000 dollars for their retirement account....40 years from now. 😬

There is no law, whatsoever, that prevents a person from opening an account at a bank, investment broker or mutual funds company and save for retirement. So capping the 401K contribution means, only, that the tax credit for retirement savings are limited. Which, as I described above, is actually an ENORMOUS benefit for most tax payers.

Second, $2400 per year invested in the stock market at the average return of 11% for 40 years turns into $1.5 million. At the net-of inflation rate of 7%, that's $500,000 in today's dollars. Too light in my opinion, but not insignificant, and a whole lot better than what 95% of the population is doing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Should be using a Roth IRA anyway. Maybe in addition to the 401.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cap how much people can save for retirement. Heaven forbid they address their spending habits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.