Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 38 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 37 38
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Crossfireoops/ Greg was a crusty old bastard but I liked having him here.:)

I didn't agree with everything he posted or the way he posted it, but I liked him and knew his point of view was based on truth and real life experience...

We both liked the same type of guns and saw the world much the same way.

I hope he went out in the manner HE wanted .

RIP .Greg..

PS - Ed thanks for filling out some of the details of Greg's life -much appreciated.

Last edited by jk16; 10/21/17.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ed, your little essay pretty much hit the nail on the head - I'll miss visiting with him a lot!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
A few things are for sure after reading thru this thread, Greg lived life with no excuses, did it his way and appears to have the life motto

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

I’ll lift a glass to a man like that anyway even if I didn’t know him.

My favorite Uncle whom I consider a second Dad is a man cut of the same cloth.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was shocked to find this thread last eve. I didn't finish it till now. It took me a little time digest and let settle.

Thanks Ed for your editorial <my description>, it helped my understanding of a man that I knew little about.

Very S A D deal all around !!! My sincere sympathy to all close acquaintances.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm posting this in Greg's memory as it prompted the first PM exchange I had with the man, which in my case, were all positive. Greg had started a thread "Songs of the Southwest" or something along that line. It went on for a while and I posted "El Paso" by Marty Robbins. Within minutes of posting it Greg PM'd me and thanked me. I told him it was one of my favorites and he said the same. Vaya con Dios Greg.

Edited to say thanks to Ed. I didn't know many of the things you posted about Greg. He was a remarkable man.

Last edited by BOWHUNR; 10/21/17.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW!!!!!!! I can't believe he is gone. I always enjoyed his projects. He was smart and sharp as a tack. He was a man of honor. You will be missed Greg. RIP.

Jim

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Taken me a while to post here again but,

Damn, I still owed Greg another butcher knife!!!

smile

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Taken me a while to post here again but,

Damn, I still owed Greg another butcher knife!!!

smile

Bob, Greg would be tickled to know that you gave it to an up and coming young curmudgeon.

If you don't know one, perhaps you could mentor one. if you don't have one on tap, perhaps some of the runners-up of the Campfire Curmudgeon Contest such as TLee, curdog4570, ingwe, or Bristoe have a candidate they have coming along. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Duly noted Ed! And a good idea!!!

Particular blade design Greg had asked me to "keep an eye out for", has not been located yet. But when found, a notice will go out!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very sad to hear this news... Cross seemed to be a man that was very adapt a reading his own moral compass bearings and sticking true to his course. A vanishing trait it seems now days. ... He will be missed but remembered often...RIP

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To Greg's friends, I'm so very sorry for your loss. To Dan, and Ed, and the others that have gone so far beyond expectations, thank you very much. You are good men.

tt's taking me some time to digest all this. Obviously, I've read Greg's posts for well over a decade, but I never knew him. Perhaps he read some of mine, though I don't recall any specific interactions. Somehow, I have been part of the same virtual community, yet never became part of the real community it so obviously has created. That's giving me pause.

May Greg rest in peace.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've been gone for quite some time and I find this out. Greg helped me when I was teaching welding and machining several times. I miss him already. RIP, my friend.
Thanks soooo much to others that have commented here about him..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Has it been discovered yet how he died? Or how his dog died? My thinking has been that he died of natural causes, and that his dog then died from dehydration. I hate to think of it, but I guess I'm hoping that the dog didn't die of dehydration, which is why I'm eager to know one way or another. Seems the most likely situation, though.

Has anyone here seen the dog yet? I know there's been talk of someone caring for the body.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Has it been discovered yet how he died? Or how his dog died? My thinking has been that he died of natural causes, and that his dog then died from dehydration. I hate to think of it, but I guess I'm hoping that the dog didn't die of dehydration, which is why I'm eager to know one way or another. Seems the most likely situation, though.

Has anyone here seen the dog yet? I know there's been talk of someone caring for the body.

The guy is dead.... this is like the billionth time you have asked this question in a different angle. You don't have a need to know for " closure" or whatever. The dudes on here dealing with their dead friend ain't even asked how he died either if you can fricking read and comprehend English from their post they have made. Gawd,,,,,, go file a freedom of information request with the county coroner if it's eating at ya this bad.

Last edited by renegade50; 10/22/17.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i am hopeful our good friend did not succumb to an armed invasion, especially from illegal aliens looking for resources, food, money, etc. i hope the dog transitioned peacefully, and not from bullet wounds from invaders, etc. i don't know what happened, and knowing won't bring either one of the individuals back. they're gone.

i don't have to "know" it aint required. but we all know an individual and his pet dog has left us, and left the scene.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The guy is dead.... this is like the billionth time you have asked this question in a different angle. You don't have a need to know for " closure" or whatever. The dudes on here dealing with their dead friend ain't even asked how he died either if you can fricking read and comprehend English from their post they have made. Gawd,,,,,, go file a freedom of information request with the county coroner if it's eating at ya this bad.

Well, I haven't read every single post in this thread, and if it had been stated, I would appreciate any info. I believe I've been respectful.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
And if it is really bugging the heck outta ya TRH go grab a dictionary and look up the word DIGNITY...... A consenus word his friends dealing with their dead friends matters they might just be doing in this situation.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
And if it is really bugging the heck outta ya TRH go grab a dictionary and look up the word DIGNITY...... A consenus word his friends dealing with their dead friends matters they might just be doing in this situation.

I won't participate in turning this into a pissing match. Sorry.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Neither will I TRH.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Neither will I TRH.

too late

Page 28 of 38 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 30 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.