-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday the pointer on my PC started to have a small blue circle spinning around while hovering over a thread. Still doing it this morning. I went to settings and it said that this was something running in the background, but it does it on every thread. What Up? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok. I had just gone and cleared out cookies on the PC, tested and it was still doing it. Since posting this question, it has not done this again. Happened yesterday every time I was on, and again this morning. Strange stuff. miles

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It is back. miles

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd like to help Miles, but it would be the blind leading the blind. Good luck, maybe someone will come along, and be of real help.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is it doing it just in the internet browser? Does it happen while the browser is closed?

Have you tried opening the task manager and seeing what is running in the background?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Restarted the computer, still there, but went to the pointer settings for another try, and it is gone for now. miles

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It is back. Seems to come on when I start Firefox. Task manager shows that is all that is running. I did get an upgrade a couple of days ago. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I get the spinning circle to tell me that something is loading or processing. It normally disappears shortly. Have you tried a different browser, Chrome, Edge, or IE, to see if's doing it there?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It has nothing to do with the webpage you're on - or even the browser. It means the processor is doing something else and can't do what you just asked it to do. You'd see it on a bare desktop.

Usually, that happens during a software update, or some other "behind the scenes" thing that Windows is doing. A pain but harmless. Just let it run until it's done. If you try to reboot, and you see a blue screen that says "Don't turn off your computer" you know it's a Windows update.

But it can also mean you have an infection and your machine has been co-opted to do nasty stuff. First, close your wi-fi connection. That gets you free of the internet and anything going in or out without your knowledge. Then, run both an anti-virus (like Avast!) and a malware (like Malwarebytes) scan. After they find and remove anything nasty, reboot.

I powered up my travel laptop yesterday to let it catch up on any Windows updates it may have missed since I used it last, and it showed that little blue circle running for almost an hour. So there was a lot going on. And it made me reboot three times in the process.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try reloading the mouse drivers.

Swifty
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

In task manager did you just check "Applications" only or did you also try clicking on the "Processes" and " Services" tabs?
The reason I ask is there may be more running in the background than what is shown in the "Applications" tab. In the "Processes" tab watch the CPU usage numbers to see what else may be running and if so what and where. Operating system, browser, Adobe, antivirus updates as well as full system virus and malware scans running in the background can last a long time sometimes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A little more info. It does not seem to do it in Explorer, only Firefox. The blue spinning circle starts and stops as I move from one topic to another, but starts when I hover. It will still be there when I close fire fox for a little bit, then goes away. Back when I open Firefox. miles

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Miles, are you using a good ad blocker? If not, the "I'm busy" circle may mean that ads are loading every time you change pages.

If you aren't, may I suggest loading uBlock Origin? It is superior to other blockers I've used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I get the spinning circle to tell me that something is loading or processing. It normally disappears shortly. Have you tried a different browser, Chrome, Edge, or IE, to see if's doing it there?

This is exactly right. This is another process issue masquerading as a mouse problem. I am 99% confident it has nothing to do with the mouse. It is related to whatever your mouse is hovering over when it happens. If it is hovering over the browser at the time, but the spinning wheel goes away when you hover the mouse over, let's say, the blank desktop or the start menu or taskbar, it's related to the browser process.

If that's the case, it could be a complicated thing to trouble shoot. The browser could be corrupt and need to be reinstalled. You already cleared your cookies. Hopefully, you are not using Internet Explorer, as it sucks. But if you are using a 3rd party browser like Chrome or Firefox, I would back up you favorites/bookmarks, uninstall the browser and reinstall it. If that doesn't work, I would update anything that is considered a browser plug in, such as java, flash, ad blocker etc.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For some reason my protection was turned off. I tried to turn it on and could not. Uninstalled and reloaded and now I am not seeing the blue circle. May come back, but gone for now. I am using ad blocker and no adds ever showed up here. It seem to be related to starting Firefox, but not sure. Thanks all for the ideas of what to check. miles

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you got it fixed, miles. Do consider changing to uBlock Origin, though. It really is a lot better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It wouldn't hurt to scan for malware. I do that whenever weird things happen. Seldom a scan finds something sneaked in, AVG does a good job, but every so often something gets by. If not that it's usually a setting somewhere.

BTW, there is a war against ad blockers so something, somewhere, may have changed a setting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.