Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a camper where the commode holding tank is dried up. Is there something I can put in it to loosen it up, or am I SOL and need a new tank?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would add water in it and let it set for a while, 10-15 gallons. Then drag it down a bumpy road so it sloshes all around real good, and dump it as soon as you can after the drive. Then re-evaluate.

Unless it is the end of my RV season, I always put 10 gallons of water down the can after I dump.

Last edited by WayneShaw; 10/22/17.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Good advice, already done the water trick. can't move the camper. Any other thoughts?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You could try filling the tank and mega dose with a septic tank treatment and leave it sit for a week or two. The bacteria in the treatment may take care of it but will not happen overnight.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Does your camper not have a black water hose fitting? If it does, simply connect a hose to that fitting and turn it on. There is a device inside the tank that will spin and spray water, helping some what. For real help, try the RVForum.com they have a complete library that has that subject covered.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
You talking about a product like RID-X? Got a preferred chemical?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ro1459
Does your camper not have a black water hose fitting? If it does, simply connect a hose to that fitting and turn it on. There is a device inside the tank that will spin and spray water, helping some what. For real help, try the RVForum.com they have a complete library that has that subject covered.

No, this is an old camper, '95 maybe, and the valve you open is stuck shut. This stays in the woods and due to some surgery, I forgot to empty it this year. Yes, I'm a dummy.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Dynamite

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are product specifically for camper black water tanks that will dissolve everything to a liquid. Seems to me that you're going to have to figure out how to get the valve opened so you can drain it. Get some of those packets used to dissolve and throw a couple in to nullify the smell-they have those too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Were it me I would use Subdu as it appears you cannot agitate nor have a ready source of hose supplied water.

SUBDU

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DouginLa
You talking about a product like RID-X? Got a preferred chemical?

Yes, something along those lines. JSTUART listed one. I use a product called Flush which we can buy around here. There are several, just do a google search and you will get an idea. Just remember to give it time to work. Once you get it cleaned up, remember water is your friend in a black tank. I always put about 5 gallon in mine before use.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a camper where the commode holding tank is dried up. Is there something I can put in it to loosen it up, or am I SOL and need a new tank?

Use this, I'd pour in half the bottle add 10-15 gallons of water and as said let it set for a few weeks.

[Linked Image]

Link.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good advice, already done the water trick. can't move the camper. Any other thoughts?

I'd suggest springing the cash for a macerator pump and a garden hose or two....give it a few days sitting with enough water in the tank to loosen the dried up crud then pry open the valve...the valve may need to be replaced once you get it open.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adding some low suds laundry soap won't hurt. Soap breaks down surface tension to allow the water to get in better. It'll soak up faster. If you can get under it, beat on the bottom of the tank to crack and loosen the crust to allow water to get under it better.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guys, I'll see what I can find around here. Might have to go to campers world(as a last resort)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Googles is your friend. Found 40 or 50 places that sell the rv type pictured above. Even amazon. Bookmarked one for me.

Last edited by Wtxj; 10/22/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Most of the time the dump valve is glued onto a piece of ABS pipe. It is a simple matter to cut the valve off with a crosscut saw and glue a on a replacement. Messy and stinky, but simple.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Most of the time the dump valve is glued onto a piece of ABS pipe. It is a simple matter to cut the valve off with a crosscut saw and glue a on a replacement. Messy and stinky, but simple.

Every one I've ever had to replace was rebuildable.... http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/3-slide-valve-with-gate-seals/6382

And when I clean mine out, I use automatic dishwasher detergent....same as with the gray water holding tank.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Every one I've ever had to replace was rebuildable.... http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/3-slide-valve-with-gate-seals/6382

And when I clean mine out, I use automatic dishwasher detergent....same as with the gray water holding tank.

Yep, that's what mine has, and that is what is stuck shut. Thanks for the link. And Walmart sells Roebic.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.