Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'll be cuttin' limbs and trees maximum 10" diameter.

Mostly,..I want a saw that ain't gonna turn to chit after one winter of storage.

I don't really care about price, within reason. But I want it to start up in the spring after settin' all winter.

Stihl MS 261-CM is your baby. About $600 out the door. Lightweight-pro series saw, cuts way better than much larger saws. Use ethanol-free fuel and drain tank for the off season.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a bad back but otherwise strong upper body and I prefer my Husky with a 28" bar because I don't have to bend over for hours at a time. If I was weak in the upper body I'd go lighter, shorter, and bend over. fwiw.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As little as you are using it, Travis is right. I would say that the ethanol free premium fuel, premium 2-stroke oil, and a double dose of stabil is more important than what saw you get. I have a Stihl trimmer and it had gas that was 3 years old treated as above with no troubles. Contrary to most folks I leave mine full of fuel all the time. Buy gas in small quantities. I would get a 'farm' grade Stihl, Echo, or Husky.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Henryseale
While I cannot say from experience what to buy, I can say DO NOT buy a Poulan. From research that I have done so far, it seems like either a Husqvarna or Stihl is the way to go.

Husqvarna??? You didn't consider Echo? No matter what brand you buy get a carb. adjustment tool (you will probably have to buy it online) and remove the catalytic convertor if it has one (I think the Feds require them on all gas engines now). All 2 cycle engines are set from the factory the to run hot and lean in order to meet Federal emission requirements. Adjust the idle and high speed jets on the carb of you new chainsaw as soon as you start it. Your chainsaw will run better and last a lot longer. Running a 2 cycle engine lean is an incredibly bad idea.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Mostly,..I want a saw that ain't gonna turn to chit after one winter of storage.

I don't really care about price, within reason. But I want it to start up in the spring after settin' all winter.

You could buy pretty much anything (including Poulan) as long as you run real gas in it and use Stabil or Seafoam without fail.

Travis

Lots of truth here. I have a 7 year old $69 Homelite string trimmer that has only ever had 100LL avgas and dirtbike oil mix. It is on the original spark plug. I bought it thinking I could use it for one season on an ivy removal project and the throw it away wihtout any heart ache. Clean, fresh non ethanol will make almost anything last.

Last edited by smarquez; 10/22/17.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smarquez

You could buy pretty much anything (including Poulan) as long as you run real gas in it and use Stabil or Seafoam without fail.

Travis

Lots of truth here. I have a 7 year old $69 Homelite string trimmer that has only ever had 100LL avgas and dirtbike oil mix. It is on the original spark plug. I bought it thinking I could use it for one season on an ivy removal project and the throw it away wihtout any heart ache. Clean, fresh non ethanol will make almost anything last.

We are a bit fortunate here in that you cannot buy ethanol fuel (E10) locally, most of us use 98 in our small motors and let them run dry before putting them away.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you get, understand the function and maintenance of it. Many saws are quickly ruined by poor maintenance and making a saw perform beyond its capabilities.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Lots of good advice here. Stihl is the big name in my area. We have lots of trees, and lots of people who work them, etc.
This is going to be a bit different in advice. I have a place where I don't burn wood for heat or cooking, so I'm not cutting wood for that. All I need is something that will handle trees and limbs up to 8 inches or so on those occasions where I need a power saw. I needed it for an old dead cherry tree with dry, hard wood. I needed it to clear a large, dense patch of rosemary I wanted to remove. Eventually, I'll remove a juniper hedge, etc.
Rather than buy a gas saw, I bought a battery run saw made by DeWalt. It runs on a 60 volt motor and has lots of safety features. I probably won't be using it much more in future. If I need bigger stuff cut down, I know people who are very good at such things who I can hire to do it for me. Very unlikely I'll need their services very often.
I can tell you this saw has been around for some time and cuts quite well. It's light, easy to handle, cuts beautifully, and leaves nothing to be desired. Yes, I have used several different gas style chain saws and have been paid for doing tree work, etc. Again, there is no need for me to cut up 2-6 cords of wood each year or to clear mature trees off of my property. E

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
$50 rebate and on sale on Husky 562XP pro saw and $75 rebate on 555 saw. Both will do what you want

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Not sure why all the recommendations for a 20-24" bar to make up to 10" cuts. A 16" or 18" bar will be plenty enough, and will spin faster than a longer bar/chain.

Get something between 50-55cc with a 16-18" bar and skip chain. Keep that sucker sharp and watch it walk through wood like butter.

Landowner vs pro lines not sure that it matters much just buy a quality brand with good support from a local shop. Stabil/Seafoam for storage when not in use.

Longer bar......less bending over. Easier on the back.
And skip chain on a short bar is gonna chatter.....
And unless you go stupid on a bar length........the length of chain means little in chain speed. The sprocket will decide that.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/22/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have a little MS 250 that I use for corral work.

It recieves zero maintenence and has been a great saw. Tool less chain tension, captured spring start.....which I dont think they make anymore.....and the Stihl quick caps.

When I finish using it for the year is it put in the shed....I use premium with no corn squeezings and Stihl oil and never empty them out.

I treat my 460 Magnum and my Pro Mac 850 more nicely.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Lots of good advice here. Stihl is the big name in my area. We have lots of trees, and lots of people who work them, etc.
This is going to be a bit different in advice. I have a place where I don't burn wood for heat or cooking, so I'm not cutting wood for that. All I need is something that will handle trees and limbs up to 8 inches or so on those occasions where I need a power saw. I needed it for an old dead cherry tree with dry, hard wood. I needed it to clear a large, dense patch of rosemary I wanted to remove. Eventually, I'll remove a juniper hedge, etc.
Rather than buy a gas saw, I bought a battery run saw made by DeWalt. It runs on a 60 volt motor and has lots of safety features. I probably won't be using it much more in future. If I need bigger stuff cut down, I know people who are very good at such things who I can hire to do it for me. Very unlikely I'll need their services very often.
I can tell you this saw has been around for some time and cuts quite well. It's light, easy to handle, cuts beautifully, and leaves nothing to be desired. Yes, I have used several different gas style chain saws and have been paid for doing tree work, etc. Again, there is no need for me to cut up 2-6 cords of wood each year or to clear mature trees off of my property. E

If you got an extension cord......MSE-250 stihl. But bring a 10 ga extension if it's very long. 15 amp.

Really. A smaller 120 stihl or battery do work well. Just don't trust your chaps with electric saws.

Or really save money and get a Craigslist stihl 026.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/22/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Buy whatever is sold and serviced locally. I prefer Stihl.

Bristoe;
Good afternoon sir, I trust all is well in your world and belated congratulations on your new rural retirement home.

As my cyber friend Aces said, absolutely get what is sold and serviced by a dealer you like.

I'm fortunate here in that the local guy sells Husky and Stihl and we've known each other and got along famously for more than two decades.

We've had Pioneer, Husky and Stihl here - currently have a Husky and a Stihl. From what I read I'd buy a Dohlmar if there were parts available, same with a Jonsered or an Echo.

As Travis noted, run real gas with a fuel stabilizer and use whatever mix oil the dealer recommends and sells. By the oil from them when you buy the saw - same with the bar oil. Warranty is a much simpler proposition when that's the chain of events. wink

If you're newish to a saw - or even if you're not - there's a good case to be made for saw chaps and a helmet. I'm imagining you're not healing any quicker with age as I'm surely finding Bristoe, so a bit of caution and PPE can't hurt.

Anyway sir, hope that was useful info, good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you all this winter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Travis

Quite true. I have a Poulan that is 4 years old now. It is for tree pruning and a couple camping trips a year. I only use Premium gas (Ethanol free), Sea Foam added (1 oz per gal) and synthetic 2-Stroke. It starts in 2-3 pulls each time.

We are looking to buy a house next year...one that will have supplemental wood heat...so I will be upgrading to a "good" saw. I am glad there is so much useful knowledge around here. In Rapid City, we can get most of the major brands serviced, so that is a plus. Just of the top of my head, Stihl, Echo and Husky are around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where is everyone finding non-ethanol fuel? I haven't seen it for sale in years.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Where is everyone finding non-ethanol fuel? I haven't seen it for sale in years.

Puregas.org is your friend. 2 years without stabilization is fine. But I use it anyway. Cheap insurance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
My MS200 has a rear handle. It is the handiest little beast. I paid a small fortune for it NIB shortly after they were discontinued, it was money well spent.

Ain't they great.
The replacement ms201 is like $650......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Home Depot and Walmart sell it in quart cans for like $10. Other than that I haven't seen it anywhere.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

We have a couple places on the island that sells it and many stations, especially in farm country, sell it. Also all of the marinas around sell it. If it’s not available Stihl sells premixed non-ethanol gas in presealed cans at their dealerships. I bought a couple cans for emergency use and keep them in my saw box.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The gas station.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.