Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12347583 10/22/17
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I just read through this on ADN site - have not yet formed an opinion, but this struck me as a "DUH!"

"Alaska's prison population was soaring — it rose by more than one-fourth between 2005 and 2014.

That far outstripped population growth, even as violent crime fell slightly and non-violent crime dropped sharply."

Another thing that doesn't make much sense(at least without further information), is fines instead of jail for shoplifting under $250 value. Much (not all) of that is because the perps don't have money to buy the stuff anyway - so how are they to pay the fines, and what is the penalty if they don't. Or is there one? Warrant and jail, or just another revolving door?

Meanwhile, back at the stores....

Last edited by las; 10/22/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's because weed is legal.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clydesdale

No, it's because of the meteoric rise in opioid and meth abuse. The people doing weed aren't and weren't the ones causing the problems.

SB-91 has been an absolute nightmare for us and I curse it (and those who authored and implemented it) daily. It truly is an example of catch-and-release criminal justice..............not that there was all that much 'justice' there to start with..........just sayin'.........

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I talked to the head of this horse...they never even talked to the guy on the ground /that deals with this chit everyday....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m not from Alaska, but I feel your pain. There are cities around here that won’t book anything but class A or B felonies. Everything is cite and release where they get a court date later down the road. If they fail to appear, they get a warrant that no one will actually try to serve.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JWD8310
I’m not from Alaska, but I feel your pain. There are cities around here that won’t book anything but class A or B felonies. Everything is cite and release where they get a court date later down the road. If they fail to appear, they get a warrant that no one will actually try to serve.

It seems everyone wants to push everything into the future (read "Next Administration" ) without providing for the increased costs of that action at every step until "the future."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by JWD8310

It seems everyone wants to push everything into the future (read "Next Administration" ) without providing for the increased costs of that action at every step until "the future."

A few years ago, the sheriff’s seat in the county I worked in was wide open. One of the guys running decided to gather up a bunch of DV warrants and have this big sweep. The local press was notified and they were on hand at the courthouse. We got a stack of 36 warrants and some where over 10 years old. For DV crimes no less. Only three arrests all day and all three were released with future court dates! Waste of time.

Last edited by JWD8310; 10/22/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Fines" are pointless and most will never be seen/collected. A revolving door is a nice descriptor and rates are climbing again due the piles of warrants that are issued due to non compliance. Busier than heck with the same people.....day in/day out. The soft touch approach from unicorn land sounds good to the masses but.....

Yup.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKduck
"Fines" are pointless and most will never be seen/collected. A revolving door is a nice descriptor and rates are climbing again due the piles of warrants that are issued due to non compliance. Busier than heck with the same people.....day in/day out. The soft touch approach from unicorn land sounds good to the masses but.....

You underestimate the soothing qualities of Unicorn fur on the oppressed!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I thought it was ground horn?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
I thought it was ground horn?

Uhhhh... different effect!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As prisons get more crowded they just need to take the prisoner with the longest sentence and shoot him

1 in 1 out

We don’t need more prisons, we need the will to combat crime

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by stevelyn

No, it's because of the meteoric rise in opioid and meth abuse. The people doing weed aren't and weren't the ones causing the problems.

SB-91 has been an absolute nightmare for us and I curse it (and those who authored and implemented it) daily. It truly is an example of catch-and-release criminal justice..............not that there was all that much 'justice' there to start with..........just sayin'.........

Well, no [bleep]?

According to the numbers prison populations were "soaring" for years prior to SB91. Apparently it would seem criminals don't follow laws and aren't afraid of some jail time. SB91 isn't even fully implemented and clowns like yourself think that it's the driving force behind the crime. There couldn't be any other factors, because this Brain Trust here hasent thought of any.

I'm surprised you have linked the heroin problem. Most of these idiots tie it to weed.

So the answer all you dim wits have is lock them up with free 3 hots and a cot, healthcare, Interwebs, and cable tv. That will teach them not to steal. Brilliant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If SB91 had a provision preventing recourse for back alley justice (covering for your own), then perhaps we could avoid some jail time. Part of the problem is that smart/honest/productive people don't want to get a 'degree' in crime so hope that justice will serve them as it should. Of course, that's rarely the case.

Just about all Alaska residents live along waterways of some sort (and crabs need to eat too.) laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, no [bleep]?

According to the numbers prison populations were "soaring" for years prior to SB91. Apparently it would seem criminals don't follow laws and aren't afraid of some jail time. SB91 isn't even fully implemented and clowns like yourself think that it's the driving force behind the crime. There couldn't be any other factors, because this Brain Trust here hasent thought of any.

I'm surprised you have linked the heroin problem. Most of these idiots tie it to weed.

So the answer all you dim wits have is lock them up with free 3 hots and a cot, healthcare, Interwebs, and cable tv. That will teach them not to steal. Brilliant.

Let's see:
Crime soared...

Many sent up with room and board...

Legislators spent all our money and whored...

"Don't lock them up!" Legislators implored...

So we set the free to the idiots' chord

But too many citizens' butts were bored...

Now we understand why we must lock up the hoard!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let's see:
Crime soared...

'Tis plain to see who's bard tonight. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, no [bleep]?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but they need to be locked up somewhere for the adjunct d-baggery they engage in to finance their drug habit. After they're a captive audience, their addictions need to be addressed. However, unless they want to change, no drunk or druggie forced into a rehab program has come out to lead a successful life as a productive citizen.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, no [bleep]?

Lots of broad strokes there with that brush from the bleacher seats.

Last edited by AKduck; 10/25/17.

Yup.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Well, no [bleep]?

Let's see:
Crime soared...

Ok, genius.

That fact that it soared for years should tell you that locking them up doesn't result in anything.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Well, no [bleep]?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but they need to be locked up somewhere for the adjunct d-baggery they engage in to finance their drug habit. After they're a captive audience, their addictions need to be addressed. However, unless they want to change, no drunk or druggie forced into a rehab program has come out to lead a successful life as a productive citizen.

Now your not sure what the answer is, but its pay to lock them up, pay to address their addictions for them, but only they can do that on their own.

But SB91 is a "absolute nightmare" that has caused this problem.

Sounds like the liberal answer to a problem. Apply more of the American tax payers dollars and keep making laws.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 659 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.