Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I saw a YT video "paracord ar15 trigger" and tried it on a new Ruger AR 556. Results were great and it only took me about 20 minutes. I know that I was lapping the engagement surfaces together - essentially accelerating what would happen after 1000 rounds. I wonder why I don't see this mentioned more often as a cure for creepy gritty stock triggers?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most I know also want a lighter trigger pull, which this method won't provide. I spent a few years dinking around with stock triggers, polishing engagement points, bending or trimming springs, the 50 cent trigger job with the allen screw in the grip, lighter springs, bobbing hammers, yada yada. Some of these methods are unsafe and none of them get close to a well made aftermarket trigger.
I finally figured out there is no way to make a stock trigger into a Giessele. Now I just buy a Geissele.

Last edited by NVhntr; 10/21/17.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What he said...

I’ve seen a lot of “polished” triggers over the years and they never compared to a good trigger and a few wound up doubling.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was talking about taking a heavy, creepy, gritty trigger and turning it into a heavy crisp trigger. For nothing more than 15-20 minutes work requiring no money and no parts.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's when you turn it into a crisp trigger that things can go South in a hurry. You'd be better off with lighter springs and shooting it a bunch.

IC B2

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TWR
It's when you turn it into a crisp trigger that things can go South in a hurry. You'd be better off with lighter springs and shooting it a bunch.

I dont understand - perhaps I should explain this to you. Pressure lapping is simply pulling the trigger with upward pressure on the hammer. All this does is lap the two surfaces together - nothing more. No lapping compounds, stones, grinding or disassembly. Seems like a dirt-simple way to smooth up a stock trigger on a new rifle.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My understanding of the trigger is there is some built in creep for good reason. Pulling the hammer up changes the geometry of the surfaces, removing creep and does pretty much what stoning would do. I might be wrong, I have not tried it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PSA, ALG Defense and just about everyone else & their cousins make "premium" GI triggers.
If you have to have a tuned GI trigger, buy one of those and call it good. There's no sense in honing a stock trigger.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My PSA enhanced trigger works.

It is not real light, didn't expect it to be, never measured it.
It has some creep
But it is smooth enough to be useable.

It is not a Jewell on a Benchrest gun,
It is a pencil barrel AR.

My two daughters, 10 and 14, can hit chitt when shooting it

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/22/17.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Well I was hoping that someone with more experience would weigh in as this trick was new to me. Oh well, I'm happy as my Ruger AR556 trigger is much improved.

Last edited by dla; 10/22/17.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The World is full of experience tuning GI AR triggers - it creates a malfunctioning trigger. Nobody does it anymore because it ruins a safe trigger.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YMMV, but a few of the commenters here have a few more rounds with ARs than you do. Especially if you are happy with a stock trigger that you messed with a bit. LOL.

We warned you, but carry on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495
YMMV, but a few of the commenters here have a few more rounds with ARs than you do. Especially if you are happy with a stock trigger that you messed with a bit. LOL.

Wow! You are a complete *********************************.

You know nothing, absolutely nothing about what I'm talking about, yet you comment anyway. Must be how you got your post count up so high - quantity over quality.

Type "paracord ar 15 trigger" into YouTube. Watch the video by the rational Canadian dude, then comment. If you say something germane - I'll respond.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BarryC
The World is full of experience tuning GI AR triggers - it creates a malfunctioning trigger. Nobody does it anymore because it ruins a safe trigger.

I agree that grinding without knowledge is a quick way to make an unsafe trigger. What I'd like to know is how lapping the two surfaces together without disassembly would cause problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

Wow! You are a complete *********************************.

You know nothing, absolutely nothing about what I'm talking about, yet you comment anyway. Must be how you got your post count up so high - quantity over quality.

Type "paracord ar 15 trigger" into YouTube. Watch the video by the rational Canadian dude, then comment. If you say something germane - I'll respond.

you just took off your rubber boots and jumped into a [bleep] pile!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
True to form.......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
oh what the heck, if a bit of dry firing doesn't hurt, then yours shouldn't either. almost no one will be happy with what tiny bit you've accomplished and won't stop at that... nuff said.

Carry on.

RRA sells a 2 stage varmint trigger thats cheap enough for all my cheap feeling days... I don't even own a lower with a "GI" trigger anymore. I might have played with 1 or 2 more factory GI triggers than you have too... just saying...

I know one thing, getting to 495 didn't come from being a dumbazz....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, you got me to watch. One of the biggest wastes of my time I"ve seen in a long time. I put more wear on them by dry firing....

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ok, you got me to watch. One of the biggest wastes of my time I"ve seen in a long time. I put more wear on them by dry firing....

Perhaps. But I got mine to the equivalent of 1000 snaps in 15 minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I realize you didn't get the answer you wanted, but you came here for info, and got it.

Unbunch your panties, and man up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.