-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i had a remington model 8 collection and one was a 300 shotgun. never could get it to hit close to where i was shooting let alone where i was aiming. got a 99 in 300 and learned what it could do and sold the m8.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I was just doing some plinking at an old rock quarry this afternoon with my Ruger M77 Tang Saftey in .250-3000. This one really likes the Speer 87 TNT over Ramshot Big Game, lit by a mag primer. The stock could use some generous slimming and refinishing, but it's still one of my favorite rifles.

Last years buck with the Ruger, 100 Hornady Interlock over Ramshot Big Game
[Linked Image]

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have .300 Savages in a Rem 760 and 722 as well as an 1894 Mauser. I do also have a Savage 99.

I really like the 760's pump action, it is open sight only and makes a great truck gun due to the removable magazine. The 722 is drilled and tapped but I shoot it open sight. Without a scope it's a nice lightweight rifle.

The Mauser wears a repurposed Springfield 1903 barrel. It too is open sight only. All three of the above are plenty accurate as-is and just plain fun to shoot. But the 99 with a receiver sight never ceases to amaze me with how well it shoots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just doing some plinking at an old rock quarry this afternoon with my Ruger M77 Tang Saftey in .250-3000. This one really likes the Speer 87 TNT over Ramshot Big Game, lit by a mag primer. The stock could use some generous slimming and refinishing, but it's still one of my favorite rifles.

Last years buck with the Ruger, 100 Hornady Interlock over Ramshot Big Game
[Linked Image]

I see why it's one of your favorites, dang nice buck!

Lee

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every now and then I see an Arisaka Type 99 that has been rechambered to 300 Savage, most of them arent pretty, but I understand it was a pretty popular conversion on Japanese rifles after WWII ended.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, because a bazillion of the things were brought home as souvenirs and there was zero/none/nada ammo for them. The 7.7 Japs got re-chambered to .300 Savage (remember, there was no such thing as a .308 yet) because the .30-06 was too long for the magazine. Never mind the fact that the .311 bores were a tad oversize for .308 bullets, by all accounts they shot ok. Likewise a lot of the 6.5 Japs got re-chambered to .257 Roberts, but those didn't fare too well for obvious reasons. (The average Marine/GI in theater always referred to those rifles as .25 Jap rifles as 6.5mm was a foreign concept to Americans, and the Basement Bubba gunsmiths back home doing the re-chambering weren't exactly guiding lights in the world of precision machining either.)

The total lack of Japanese ammo forced those orphan rifles to disappear into closets and cellars everywhere (those that weren't altered to use American ammo), and became the cheapest milsurps to be found anywhere for a long time thereafter. Then entrepreneurs started importing piles of Jap ammo from rotting supply dumps in the South Pacific and the guns got a lease on life. Poor deer hunters everywhere began filing the tips off of FMJ surplus ammo to create hunting rounds for the Arisakas they "sporterized" on the potting benches out in the garage, with decidedly poor results. That did nothing to help the by then poor reputation of what was actually a rather well built strong rifle.

My personal exposure to that phenomenon was a neighborhood older teenager who drilled out the tips on FMJ ammo (with a hand drill no less) to create hollowpoint hunting ammo for the 6.5 carbine his father brought home from some Pacific hell hole or another. To the rest of us kids who were lucky to have a motley selection of .22's he was like the One Eyed King in the Land of the Blind.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I guess filing the tips off surplus ammo, including the 06, was the thing to do right after WWII as hunting ammo was nowhere to be found. I imagine its performance was a bit erratic but still within "minute of deer." Ever hear anyone mention how it performed?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've owned a fair number of "other" Savages, the 300 has been a favorite for a long time.

I currently own a Rem 700 Classic, a Rem 760 and a handful of Rem 81s in 300 Sav and a rebarreled Savage M 10 in 250 Sav.

The 700 is my main deer rifle though it will probably sit out this year in favore of the 250. I've had this rifle since it came out. It has been free floated, action bedded, and the trigger cleaned up. It is quite accurate if the barrel is left a little dirty- it doesn't like being squeaky clean or too dirty.

The 760 is my second one, the first one was sold to a WI relative who wanted more than I did. Both are older models and shot very well. I have a 3-9x Bushnell on it now as the old 4x Lyman gave up to ghost and is off being rebuilt.

The 81s I have been gathering for years. They range from one of the earliest serial numbers to one of the last in this chambering. My favorite is a Krieger conversion with the detachable magazine. They are all accurate enough for deer in the woods and I have shot several deer with mine though the only one that was drilled and tapped for a scope is the least accurate of them all. It might be the 3x Weaver as the open sights are at least as accurate as with a scope.

The M 10 is new to me, I just rebarreled it. It is obstensively for our grandkids to use but I like it a lot too. I'll know better after this season hopefully.

I have owned other rifles for Savage cartridges. Two Rem 722s have passed through my hands before I owned the 700. They were good guns and I kind of wish I would have kept the one with the peep sight. I also had one each of the converted Arisakas, i finagled with the dies a bit so I could use 150 gr .311/.312" and 120 gr .264" bullets in the respective guns. I never shot a deer with one but a smallish black bear fell to the 99. I was notched a fan of peep sights which these had and especially the safety which was hard to use unnoticed in the field so they went down the road at some point.

Some where in the family a Winchester M70 in 300 Savage is floating around. It was my great uncle's gun and was near new when I saw it last. I lost track of it when my great uncle died but I'm sure one of his grandkids has it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by S99VG
I guess filing the tips off surplus ammo, including the 06, was the thing to do right after WWII as hunting ammo was nowhere to be found. I imagine its performance was a bit erratic but still within "minute of deer." Ever hear anyone mention how it performed?

It was more economics rather than availability that caused many to use modified military ammo. I have receipts of surplus ammo running 2-5 cents a round as late as 1952 for Brit 30/06 ammo which beats any factory ammo of the time by a considerable margin. Stories of Hosea Sarber and other government agents working in Alaska and other places regularly used surplus ammo as they could get it for free rather than paying for it out of their salaries.

I heard very mixed results as to the effectiveness ranging from not opening to shedding the jacket almost immediately and nearly disintegrating. I tried this for myself by grinding the noses off a handful of Greek surplus and shooting them into some newspaper. None of them had classic mushrooms but none "blew up" either. One looked like it riveted while the others tended to shear down one side or the other as if it glanced off something hard. I think plain old FMJ would have worked just as well with the benefit of less work.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Much to my dismay, when Savage introduced the model 14 American Classic it was not offered in 300 Savage. Remington offered their Model 700 Classic in 300 Savage about the same time, so I purchased it instead. Savage finally decided it might be a good idea to offer their classic rifle in their classic calibers a few years later, so I ordered a model 14 American Classic in 250 Savage. I also have the 50th anniversary model 10 in 300 Savage. I tried to buy a Ruger 77 RSI IN 250 Savage at an auction several years ago but could not keep up with the other bidders.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have only seen one Savage 14 Classic in 250 Savage and that was less than a month ago, I have never seen a 300, I guess they didnt sell very well?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have only seen one Savage 14 Classic in 250 Savage and that was less than a month ago, I have never seen a 300, I guess they didnt sell very well?

No, they didn't. It was more of a historical interest chambering that Coburn did rather than any great marketing idea. I should have bought them.

Actually, you still can get one. Just need to find a FFL to order one through and have him call up the Savage custom shop. They'll do a model 14 in 250 or 300, just be a bit more than a standard 14.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. I wonder if the Custom Shop would take a ratty 99 and re-barrel it...

S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I didn't know Savage had a custom shop.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built a 722 into a switch barrel 22-250/300 Savage by fitting an LVSF barrel to it and putting them in a 700 ADL stock. Both are very accurate, killed a lot of coyotes with the 22-250 but haven't been deer hunting since I built it.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Hmmm. I wonder if the Custom Shop would take a ratty 99 and re-barrel it...

Last I knew, no workie on things that aren't currently being manufactured. They'll sell new stuff with odd chamberings or some mix of features, but not work on old stuff unless it's warranty. Might have changed, can always call and ask.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys see that 22 hp go over Gunbroker recently that had a Westfield barrel?

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/22/17.

LOL
S
S99VG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No, what happened?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Now he tells us!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I'm lazy - give me a link if you please.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.