Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm starting my gear buying after everything got stolen - looking to maybe try a few things.

I've used the Meindl Perfeckt Hunter for the past 2-3 years. I like them alot. The only thing I'd like to see is a bigger toe rand. Which brings me to the Perfekt Extreme. Anyone tried both? Thoughts?

My concern is with the stiffness of boots. I find my feet don't do well with a stiff, mountaineering style boot. I'm not not sure about the 11" height (Hunter's are 10") but wouldn't automatically rule it out until I tried them.

I've also looked at the Crispi Hunter, Guide, Wild Rock before. Never tried on the Crispi's mainly because I couldn't find anywhere within a 2-3 hour drive to do so. Thoughts?

Others to consider?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had the perfekt hunters for several years and love them. I'd turn right around and buy them again once these wear out.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Leaning that direction as well but thought I'd ask. In fact, they are in my Cabelas cart. Might just drive to Fort Oglethorpe and pick them up.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The question you should ask yourself is: Have I ever found these wanting? If so, how? Do these other choices solve the issue?
The only issue I have had was slick logs under snow. Not much is going to fix that. I won't go to the extremes necessary to fix that since it happens so rarely.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm starting my gear buying after everything got stolen - looking to maybe try a few things.

I've used the Meindl Perfeckt Hunter for the past 2-3 years. I like them alot. The only thing I'd like to see is a bigger toe rand. Which brings me to the Perfekt Extreme. Anyone tried both? Thoughts?

My concern is with the stiffness of boots. I find my feet don't do well with a stiff, mountaineering style boot. I'm not not sure about the 11" height (Hunter's are 10") but wouldn't automatically rule it out until I tried them.

I've also looked at the Crispi Hunter, Guide, Wild Rock before. Never tried on the Crispi's mainly because I couldn't find anywhere within a 2-3 hour drive to do so. Thoughts?

Others to consider?

Thanks.

I still have three pairs of the Cabela's hikers that are from 12 years to 25 years old. These boots have Vibran soles, while the new one has another type of soles. Anyway, the soles are in real good shape, and the leather between the toe and the tongue have very thin horizontal cracks, but the boots are still water proof. During the Spring I brush mud and other stuff off, and coat them with Snow Seal. I usually wear a pair of these boots most of the year (spring, summer, Fall, and a few days when it's not very cold during the winter. I haven found any other boots that come even close in durability. I prefer boots that are wide at the toe since I can wear thick all season and winter socks, and don't like to have my toes cramped in inside. I wear size 8 shoes, so I buy the 8-EE size boots. If you can drive to the store and check these boots out, try the hikers too.

I understand that you are looking at a the 10" and 11" hunting boots, so I can't help you with that. However, the Hikers are quite comfortable and don't need breaking in:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...perfekt-trade-hikers/748580.uts?slotId=1

Last edited by Ray; 10/21/17.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Ray - those boots are the shorter version of the Perfekt Hunters. I know a couple guys that wear the hiker version. Ive had the hikers on my feet and they fit well. I'll revisit them. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the rubber rand separate from the leather on 2 pairs of the Perfekt Hunters within 1 year. Exchanged them the first time thinking maybe I just had bad luck, but that wasn't so. Second pair I returned for a refund. The first pair lasted about 4 months of moderate use, and the second pair lasted 8 months of fairly heavily use and hundreds of mile. I still feel they should last longer than that for a $300 boot. I'm going to try the Crispi Guide GTXs or Hunter GTXs this fall myself. Haven't decided how I feel about 12" vs 10".

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Others to consider?

Thanks.

I've had all three... the Meindl Perfeckt Hunter is the only one that doens't give me blisters, so is what I use.

I sold the Perfekt Extreme's last year here on the campfire. Great boot if your feet like them, ditto the Crispi Hunter. I still have the Crispi's, but only use them for work. They tear the chit out of my feet.

Side note, KG Boot Guard is a good way to make a rand/toe-cap on the Perfeckt Hunter's. I'll be doing that after the season.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Brad - what is KG boot guard?

Why are you watching the Fire? Bettin' there's a story and a bull involved 😎

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Through years of wearing boots I have realized that the ones that last the least are the ones that have the most pieces stitched together, specially the one with synthetic/leather lightweight boots (the camo synthetic ones are the worst). All those stitches and flexible pieces or material make the boot very comfortable and light, but soon enough the stitches start breaking and coming loose.

Last edited by Ray; 10/21/17.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad - what is KG boot guard?

Why are you watching the Fire? Bettin' there's a story and a bull involved 😎

Regarding KG's, you can do a search on the BP forum. I did a little demo on some hikers around five or-so years ago. Sam Olson turned me on to the stuff. It's legit.

No bull involved. Details on your Mt Elk Thread! laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had them, good boots but if it is rocky they don't protect the best. (my opinion) Lowa Mtn hunters are tough to break in but really are stout. Kennetreks are as good as anything for everything else...Again my opinion and others will vary, just like feet do

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I live in Knoxville and would be glad to let you check out a pair of crispi guides when I get back from Colorado. Size 9

Also if you need any gear let me know. May have to meet up for dinner sometime since both in Knoxville area, I actually am in Seymour just outside Knoxville.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by sgt217
I've had them, good boots but if it is rocky they don't protect the best. (my opinion) Lowa Mtn hunters are tough to break in but really are stout. Kennetreks are as good as anything for everything else...Again my opinion and others will vary, just like feet do

No question on the Lowas either Tibet or Mt. Hunter.

KG toe guard looks like good stuff but it kills the breathability so I wouldn't do the entire boot with it. I have heard that Meindels from Meindel are better quality than the Cabela's. I think the Crispi are better too. Just depends on what fits you best. This can be adjusted some with after market inserts. I get at least a half size larger for thicker socks and inserts, it makes a lot of difference.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried the Cabelas/Meindl Pefekt boot, and found them to be crap. Soft, easily cut leather. By the second season, the rubber was separating from the leather. Switched to Lowa Hunter GTX. They've been excellent in every way for me. The Lowas are a much stiffer/rigid boot than the Perfekt's, so they may not be a good choice for everyone.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I've had the Lowa's and Kennetrek's too. Foot killers for me. Part of my problem is my right foot is smaller than my left, and has a slightly higher arch.

As to quality, I agree the Lowa's and Crispi's are ahead of the Cabelas Meindl. Schnee's makes a top notch mountain hunting boot too. My least favorite are the Kennetreks. Super stiff, and off-brand component's that are not reflected in the cost.

KG's will cure the Meindl's shortcomings though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried a pare of Kennetrecks on at Scheels the other day. Made my feet feel like I was walking on ball bearings. Just like Redwing logger boots. However everyone's feet are different and hard boots don't bother some guys.
I have found the Meindl Alaskans fit me pretty well and are comfortable once you get a nice thick and cushy insole in them. The stock insoles went in the trash immediately.

Boot guard is a product made for keeping the toes of steel toe work boots from wearing through the leather at the toe. It's commonly used by guys working in heavy industry thats really hard on footwear.

Last edited by BWalker; 10/22/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One brand that isn't recommended much but I find excellent are Alico's from Sierra trading post. These are hand made old school Italian or Hungarian boots that are extremely well made. The full mountaineering boots are heavier than some but it is because they are a really stout boot. The price is great about half of what comparable boots cost.

Even if you get another brand I would get a pair of Alico's to go with them as back ups or while the others are drying. The light model makes a good camp and trail boot.

If you order them get two pair sent in ascending sizes to get a better fit. Mine ran a bit small as they are on a European last.

Last edited by Tejano; 10/22/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pm sent.

I bought a pair of Meindl Perfekt today but will wait till I see your Crispi's before I wear them.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I will shoot you a pm as soon as I get back to Knoxville. Found some elk and going in after them in the morning. Send me a PM with your cell if you want

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.