Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Brad
My current, a 1996 Classic Stainless FWT 308 Win in a McMillan Hunters Edge Compact and PT&G Al Bottom Metal.

Shown with 6x36 LRD in Low Weaver's, but currently wearing 2-7x33 LRD in Talley X-Low Lwt's. A very consistent shooting rifle.

Just needs iron sights!

[Linked Image]

Here's an interesting Weaver ring failure. I wrapped up a typical Pacific Northwest wet-weather deer hunt last night and was watching TV in the same room where my lightweight Husqvarna 30-06 was drying out after having been drenched for the second time in as many weeks.

It's this rifle, but with a 4x Leupold instead of the VX-R 3-9x40.

[Linked Image]

I heard something hit the floor and bounce a couple of times. Turns out the cross bolt that goes through the saddle had broken like a button popping off of a fat man’s shirt.

[Linked Image]

To be fair, I’ve been using this ring for 25 years if not more. It’s been on several scopes and dozens of rifles (including two 308’s, more 30-06’s than I can remember, two 338-06’s, a 270, and a 35 Whelen) for thousands of full-power rounds. It’s also been soaked with rain without being dried out or cleaned countless times.

I had checked that rifle’s zero that afternoon, and it was hitting where it should have out to 320 yards, so maybe it was just time for it to go.

Another good reason to have properly-zeroed iron sights on your rifle plus a spare scope pre-zeroed in rings plus any tools you’ll need to swap them out.

Okie John

Wow!!!

That is the first failure of any sort I have seen with Weaver standard "fasteners" and it is a real question where the cause might be...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks like a case of "farmer tight" somewhere along the way and it just finally failed due to metal fatigue.

I am pretty sure I have one of those screws in my parts stash, if you can send me a picture of it, preferably with a set of calipers showing the head diameter, I will take a look and send you one. I am pretty sure that there were a couple of different head sizes/styles so I would need the pic and measurement to make sure I had the right one.

Sending a PM with my cell phone # you can send the pic to.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drover
Looks like a case of "farmer tight" somewhere along the way and it just finally failed due to metal fatigue.

That's exactly what I thought when I read Okie's post. It's easy to get in the farmer-tight habit with Weaver's.

Obviously anything man-made can and will break, but I still think Weaver's are among the most stupid simple, robust rings out there. Kind of like marrying a Minnesota farm girl. She may not be glamorous, but is someone to build a long life with smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

That's exactly what I thought when I read Okie's post. It's easy to get in the farmer-tight habit with Weaver's.

Obviously anything man-made can and will break, but I still think Weaver's are among the most stupid simple, robust rings out there. Kind of like marrying a Minnesota farm girl. She may not be glamorous, but is someone to build a long life with smile

This may be the issue. I just got a torque wrench a few months ago, and it seems that I've been farmer-tightening everything for the last 40 years.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ruger 77 MKII stainless with the boat paddle stock. They're tougher than wood pecker lips!!! Trigger job if needed, free float the mag box, torque the front action screw to about 55 in/lb, the rear to about 45 in/lb, clean the firing pin and spring assembly and lube with Rem Drylube, install a front sight with a sourdough sight blade, get a NEGC peep sight, and mount the scope of your choice. Done!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I am pretty sure I have one of those screws in my parts stash, if you can send me a picture of it, preferably with a set of calipers showing the head diameter, I will take a look and send you one. I am pretty sure that there were a couple of different head sizes/styles so I would need the pic and measurement to make sure I had the right one.

Sending a PM with my cell phone # you can send the pic to.

drover

Thanks, but I've got Weaver parts coming out of my ears. I retired that set of rings, then went out the next morning and bought the exact same thing to replace it. I'll probably retire all of my old Weaver rings in the next year or so and replace them with more of the same.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 41 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.