Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hope we get snow up here... forecast is just this cold, sub freezing fog... for weeks! Will go out anyway, have a couple cold calling spots, but a couple inches would sure speed things up!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
They are out of control this year in Arizona. We have seen 5 already this month out hunting. My son called in 2 on Thursday morning. I'm headed out in the morning, hoping to glass one up.

I"m hunting with an outfitter in AZ in April for lions. Hope I see as many as you have!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

Believe it or not, here in The Alamo City, a DOWNTOWN bank's surveillance cameras recorded a LARGE, male ML, strolling across the parking lot & into a nearby shopping mall about 2000 hours a few weeks ago.
(A local game warden estimated him at at least 100# & "obviously in good health".)

San Antonio has numerous coons, possums, ring-tails, coyotes, feral hogs, whitetails, Axis deer, bobcats & "other livestock" in this very densely populated urban area.
(Some neighborhoods have 200+ WT per square mile, according to the Bexar County Animal Control officers.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/16/17. Reason: add

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A while back we accidently called one in while using a cow elk call in a thick stand of pine. This was deep in The Bob Marshall Wilderness. Even in there, this poor cat had a wide plastic collar with an antenna. He looked embarrassed!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing today. Maybe tomorrow. Saw two nice Mule deer bucks. No snow

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

Believe it or not, here in The Alamo City, a DOWNTOWN bank's surveillance cameras recorded a LARGE, male ML, strolling across the parking lot & into a nearby shopping mall about 2000 hours a few weeks ago.
(A local game warden estimated him at at least 100# & "obviously in good health".)

San Antonio has numerous coons, possums, ring-tails, coyotes, feral hogs, whitetails, Axis deer, bobcats & "other livestock" in this very densely populated urban area.
(Some neighborhoods have 200+ WT per square mile, according to the Bexar County Animal Control officers.)

yours, tex

I wouldn't call 100# lion a big male. That would be a nice sized female for sure. I big males start at 150. I wonder if they could see his junk?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
dennisinaz,

I have no idea. - What I posted is "second hand" from a bank employee that's a member of my service club & who has seen the video recordings from the bank's parking lot. = He told me about the recording of the cat two weeks ago Tuesday PM at our bi-weekly meeting.
(One thing is likely certain: With all the deer & other "prey animals" in our very urban SA, he won't go hungry.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/16/17.

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
dennisinaz,

Fyi, speaking of big cats, a retired SGM & his lady returned from a day-long shopping trip to the Ft Meade commissary/PS/Class 6 to their retirement home in western MD a few weeks ago. - The wife took an armload of groceries into the house, propping the front door open while the SGM started carrying in their many sacks of purchases.

On the 3rd or 4th trip into the house, he was horrified to discover a ML in the living room (between him & his lady) & the cat was quietly stalking his wife.

His wife saw the cat, locked herself into the pantry & then he thereafter managed to get the cat OUT of the house without any major damage to either the house or to either of them. = I count them: LUCKY.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/17/17. Reason: typo

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wow ! LUCKY ! How in the hell, do you herd a M,L out of your house while said cat is stalking you ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
WildWest,

According to the retired SGM, he went around the house, entered the kitchen door & continually YELLED AT the cat until the cat left the house through the front door & disappeared into the woods.
(Trust me, the Sergeants Major, that I knew during my career, had BIG voices. - Sounds about RIGHT to me.)

LOL, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Maryland.... told you so! (They're moving back east!)

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was out sat/sun. Birds where missing, So I did not get to excited in the two areas I hunted. Missed a coyote sunday. Which I really should not have. It was not called in, spotted it cruising through a draw. I have been using an Elk call. The area I am hunting gets a lot of E-caller traffic. So I mostly just use Deer or Elk closed reed calls. If it gets windy I have a very loud custom that I can make some seriously growly death of deer sounds. Its type of sound has been the most productive over the years. But it is a call any predator call. Coyote - bobcat come in most often but cougar and bear have also.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks gents for the great lion stories. It is always stimulating to see lion tracks, kills, and naturally, the lions. All my sightings have been while hunting deer, elk, wild turkey or such.
As you know, mountain lion are legally considered varmints in Texas and can be taken at any time possible.
I know only one Texan that calls mountain lions on his ranch, but then he also calls leopard in Africa, so he must be quite accomplished.

Best of luck to you this season.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Really curious about calling Leopard! Would love to talk with that guy sometime!

Looks like my paypal buttons on the website were goofed up... and it LOOKS like they're fixed now... PLEASE Let me know if you're trying to get sounds or calls and something doesn't work!

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rainshadow1
Really curious about calling Leopard! Would love to talk with that guy sometime!!

Rainshadow1,

Calling Leopards is a sport I think I'd rather read about from the comfort of the easy chair in front of a fire rather than actually doing....

I have gotten jumpy enough calling at night in mountain lion country that I won't go unless my partner goes with me. Last autumn we had a lion walk across the meadow about a half block from where I am typing this right now. A couple of guys hanging Christmas lights saw him and called 911. A handful of deputies and a G&P officer showed up and looked for it but couldn't find it. The day before, one had walked around the senior high school about ten miles north of here.

I am not scared of big hairy monsters that can eat you, during the day, but at night I am much more opened minded.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Calling any predators at night from the ground is spooky! (But if I could I'd do it for lions here!)

I just am pretty convinced that Leopards would also be very callable, especially with fellow leopard vocals.

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just got back from Mexico, lions are a real problem on many of the ranches there. Last season 8 lions were sighted buy the 5 hunters in my buddy's group and they killed 4 of them. This year only killed one. A lion killed a calf about 300 yards from the house but they didn't bother to tell us or I would have gone out and called it in for them. Going back in March to remedy this!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They're starting to run in herds!

Just posted two more good stories from Western Washington!

Stories O25 and A21 are bran-fresh as of today!

http://rain-shadow.com/cougar_callin_stories.htm

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our yearly Cabin lake/Fort Rock area Cougar camp is 2/9 thru 2/19 this year. This will be year 9. Looks like we will have a pretty good turn out this year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

139 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 27 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,471
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.