-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
CDNN has these on sale for $289. I don't reckon I stand to lose much by giving one a try. They still have 14 left if anyone is interested. They are listed as used, but they never left the factory, so I am guessing Ruger used them for a little extra testing. Not a bad thing in my mind. I am still trying to decide what to do for optics. I have a Nikon P223 3X that has been tucked away for a while. I might give it a whirl. If nothing else I learn whether it dials reliably or not.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-americanr-rimfire-target-22lr-used.html#.WfBodhmGND8

GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a good deal and the two RAR rimfires I have owned shoot or shot great.

Dave

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
PaulBarnard: Thanks for the heads up - they are down to thirteen left now.
I would buy one of these in an instant except I am dealing on one of these in 17 HMR for next years Ground Squirrelling.
I think that price is a savings of $85.00 or so from the prices I see on them at retail stores.
My friends that own these (all in 17 HMR though) just love them and the accuracy they produce.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These friendly "heads up" threads have been most welcomed, if costly, this week.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sandcritter
These friendly "heads up" threads have been most welcomed, if costly, this week.

I try to bring as many people down with me as I can!

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 10/26/17.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They went quickly!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I slapped on the only suitable scope I had laying around and took it to the range. Accuracy was so-so. I need to tinker a little more. There's probably better accuracy in it. The gun is a very good looking gun with a deep, rich, glossy blue.

[img]https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/se...ia/33438089774/medium/1509140052/enhance[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
couldn't you find a longer scope?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
couldn't you find a longer scope?

LOL. I had that and a Nikon P223 3X that was too short to work. If I fall in love with the gun I may treat it to a new scope.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
just get a 6" sunshade.....

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RDW
Looks like a good deal and the two RAR rimfires I have owned shoot or shot great.

I bought one a few weeks back 22" barrel

Pros:
Very nice bluing and appears to be very tight

Cons:
I know a timney trigger and a wood stock are in the future.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by RDW

I bought one a few weeks back 22" barrel

Pros:
Very nice bluing and appears to be very tight

Cons:
I know a timney trigger and a wood stock are in the future.

Old Elkhunter

The stock I can understand because not everyone can take the plastic. It will never be wood.

But a $120 Timney trigger on a rifle that already HAS a perfectly good trigger is silly., imho. And I appreciate a good trigger pull as much as anyone.

I have two Americans and both triggers were decent out of the box, but now are now SUPERB with about 10 minutes worth of mods.

I did no stoning , filing or permanent mods. The steps below take less time than installing and adjusting a Timney and don't cost a C -note.

I simply-

1) Took the stock off.

2) Took out the trigger safety pin and removed it along with the Trigger safety and spring. I set it aside in a plastic bag if I ever needed to put the gun back to origional configuration.

3) Took out the trigger return spring that affect pull weight and replaced it with a retractable ballpoimt pend spring if tge same diameter and cut it to the same length as the orgional spring. Put the factory spring in the baggie with the trigger safety etc.

4) Installed the new spring and adjusted the set screw to give the desired pull weight. The range is usually 1.5 to 4 pounds with the new spring.

5) Put the stock back on.

My rifles have very consistent and crisp 2.5 lbs triggers now doing nothing more than the above. Everyone who tries the guns comment on how great the triggers are. And some of those guys have Timmney ,Shilen and other custom triggers in their guns.

With the bare slot in the trigger pad, the "feel" is much like a serrated trigger. It provides a little traction for the trigger finger but otherwise feels fine.

Last edited by jk16; 11/24/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have doubts that something can be done with the factory trigger and that by replacing the spring that it will be a quality trigger like what i have on Sako,Tikka and Steyr rifles I own. I might try your suggestion to see what happens. The trigger is 3.25 lbs roughly on my gauge and feels like utter crap.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have doubts that something can be done with the factory trigger and that by replacing the spring that it will be a quality trigger like what i have on Sako,Tikka and Steyr rifles I own. I might try your suggestion to see what happens. The trigger is 3.25 lbs roughly on my gauge and feels like utter crap.

O,

I have not owned any recent made Tikkas but I have owned Sakos, Steyrs ,Sauers.Anschutzes etc. of all vintages as well as.many tuned factory and custom Rem 700 triggers. If I honestly felt the RAR triggers really were not worth the trouble ,I would just say so.

Sadly , some folks are so put off by the trigger blade safety etc that they tend to discount the basic design that is there.

Lightening the pull weight will do nothing for the trigger /sear engangement surface( which.affects pretravel(creep). Any safe durable trigger has to have SOME engagement surface to be safe. Thats with any single lever trigger design.

My .22LR American rimfire has almost zero creep it breaks like a match stick. My .308 has a little but when shooting the gun its not noticeable at all. I am fully capable of grinding a bit of the sear engagement surface off on the .308 to equal the .22 LR pretravel , but the difference is so slight, its not worth the trouble.

I have shot tiny groups with.both rifles -both off the bench and from field positions.

Both of my American were made in the last two years. Maybe they have changed their trigger specs, but I doubt it.

Last edited by jk16; 11/24/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.