Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, here's the deal. You have to purchase either a commercially produced knife or semi-commercial. What would you go with and why? (Glad this isn't for real, I love my Dozier).

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wait, wait, wait. This is your hunting knife. Be it deer, elk, etc. You'll use it for skinning, gutting, splitting rib cages, quartering, etc.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
S30V Buck Vanguard

Good steel, USA made, a handle that fits my hand pretty decently, capable of the game duties you mention as well as a few camp chores I have been known to use my hunting style knives for. On sale, you can buy one for a Benjamin.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

works for me!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My old Spyderco Bill Moran Skinner. Was a limited run over 20 years ago.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/26/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got several of the Spyderco Moran drop points. Those, IMO, are close to perfect factory knives.

I've got several Bark Rivers, while they are nice knives. They tend to be on the thicker side.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Try to find some old Gerbers from the 1960's-70's with the tool steel blades.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robertacabin

Years ago, maybe 15 or so. Gerber made the Gator with a drop point in 154cm, IIRC. I liked it, but lost it....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I tend toward the Scandinavian knives. Either a cheap Mora, a Helle, or possibly a Roselli.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost any sharp knife will do, but a Sagan Saw is nice to have for splitting a sternum and a pelvic bone if you're field dressing a deer in a place you can't take a vehicle to.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Buck 119 Special works just fine for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Of my knives today .. meaning knives I'm have some experience with already ... I think the rubber handled Buck Vanguard is my favorite. Mine sharpens up pretty well, holds and edge pretty well, and isn't slick when my hands are covered in blood.

I may have a replacement favorite but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's a Benchmade "Steep Country". It does not seem to be slick, either, and it is lighter yet.

In the past, my first favorite was a Buck General. If you've got the wrist strength to use it deftly, it is a great knife. The handle is slick when you get blood or fat on it. Very few people have the wrist strength to handle that much blade with precision and fatigue is dangerous.

The next / most recent past favorite before the Vanguard was a first generation Gerber LMF. It looks somewhat like what they market as the "Steadfast" now. The current LMF is a very different knife. 6 inch blade, pretty heavy. It sharpened nicely, held an edge fairly well, and the grip was not slick when bloody. I still use it in the kitchen "processing" meat and carry it in my bag in the truck at times. Oddly enough, it has taken to corroding .. deep etching of the steel and an odd rust. I've never had a stainless knife do that. It's not blood in the sheath, I've sunk it underwater for days, then run it through the washer twice.

Among folding knives, my favorite is the Gerber Magnum LST. It is pretty light, locks up reliably. I'm a fan of the Buck 110 but the regular one is too heavy for what it is. They once offered a version with a skeletonized titanium handle ... wish I had one.

I used to carry a saw some ... Wyoming Saw III, I think. The little one. I don't do that anymore deer hunting. Any parts I would have sawed loose, today I just peel the meat off of them and leave the bone in the field. It goes in my truck pack / bag when I'm elk hunting, however. I also carry a gerber pack-axe in that pack/bag.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Aw Jesus!

I would take a Japanese VG-10 paring knife, any manufacturer. Slicing the rib cartilage is easy and quick like cutting belly muscle, 2nd choice would be a KOA Jaeger Hunter in D2. I have done the gutting, skinning, quartering and stripping the carcass of a lot of deer with both. Very quick and easy.

I cannot for the life of me understand people using loppers, reciprocating saws, hatchets, axes, etc. for this work! I can and have many times taken a deer from just killed to stripped carcass in a little better than an hour with just a little knife like that. A Buck 110 will work about as well, but the steel is crappy and after one deer it's time to sharpen it again. I do use a reciprocating saw to cut up the bones to fit in the garbage. What the hell do you use a loppers, hatchet, saw gizmos and cleaver for? I sometimes use a big Santoku I had Dale Atkerson make for me out of very thick D2 as a cleaver for chicken parts, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do to a deer with a hatchet or a cleaver. I did watch my dad kill a deer once with an axe, but I got well clear of that rodeo and watched while I tried not to pee myself laughing. I have done almost all of it with a little bitty pocket knife with a 2 inch blade, and i have done more than a couple with a Gerber LST.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had a guy in camp last year that liked to process his own deer instead of the guides doing it. We watched him zip along gutting, skinning, etc. This guy is wealthy and has killed more whitetail than most guys have ever laid eyes on. I assumed he used a custom knife of some type and was impressed by watching him, so I asked what knife he was using. He had a Victorinox paring knife that cost about $5! Said they were easy to sharpen, worked for what he needed, and no big deal if he lost it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Victorinox paring knives with serrated blades have worked well for me, one of the many good tips that Big Stick used to pass along, but the handles are a little too small to fit my hand well, so I've moved over to the Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter style.

I like to split the sternum and cut a 1" piece out of the pelvis bone to facilitate removal of all of the internal organs as a single unit. I use a Sagan Saw to do this in the field or a limb lopper if we haul the intact carcass to a place with running water, so that we can eviscerate, rinse, and hang them in a cool place.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I thought you supposed to use only expensive custom knives in super steels for processing dead critters. Oh my! smile

Sam......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MILES58
Aw Jesus!

I cannot for the life of me understand people using loppers, reciprocating saws, hatchets, axes, etc. for this work! I can and have many times taken a deer from just killed to stripped carcass in a little better than an hour with just a little knife like that. A Buck 110 will work about as well, but the steel is crappy and after one deer it's time to sharpen it again. I do use a reciprocating saw to cut up the bones to fit in the garbage. What the hell do you use a loppers, hatchet, saw gizmos and cleaver for? I sometimes use a big Santoku I had Dale Atkerson make for me out of very thick D2 as a cleaver for chicken parts, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do to a deer with a hatchet or a cleaver. I did watch my dad kill a deer once with an axe, but I got well clear of that rodeo and watched while I tried not to pee myself laughing. I have done almost all of it with a little bitty pocket knife with a 2 inch blade, and i have done more than a couple with a Gerber LST.

I very much enjoy making "hill country wind chimes"

[Linked Image]

However I don't always just take the quarters and the the loins! LOL

I do like pork chops, or even putting a 1/2 pig split long-ways on the pit.

[Linked Image]

I find a sawzall very convenient for cutting the animal lengthways along either side of the backbone when it comes to making chops.

[Linked Image]

ever see a butcher use a saw?

Compound loppers work well for cutting off feet, head.

[Linked Image]

I hunt out of a camp, don't field dress

the time of day,

[Linked Image]

and how many I have to skin also are part of the equation as to whether its a "social thing" with my buds, or whether I'm on the production line!

[Linked Image]

Works for me,

YMMV.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/26/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Benchcraft 162 S30V or the Bark River Fox River LT Elmax

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The small knife in the 2nd pic will do it all except for sawing one in half lengthwise. That's about what I use. I might be hard put to keep on buying the small racks of full meat chops to smoke did I live where I had pigs to shoot regular. I could make an exception for little piggies and saw them out I suppose. We have no feral pigs up here though, so when pork chops are on the menu I buy whole boneless loins. Lately, Sams Club has been selling Smithfield racks of ribs with the backstraps in place and off of maybe 60-80lb piggies. I just buy them, rub 'em up and into the smoker they go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've also got a Cold Steel Mini Pendleton Hunter I like to use quite a bit. Good steel, easy to sharpen, and holds its edge well. The small rubber handle is easy for me to hang on to, when my hands are good and bloody. I think they run about $43 bucks.

I've given all of my nephews one when they shot their first deer at the Ranch. I'd always gut their first deer with it for them. Then I'd hand them the knife and tell them they get to do the next one they shoot.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fireball is a nice touch lol

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gw
What's the stutzen in the first pic? Also, love the orange crush combo in the second. Nice lanyards!

Originally Posted by geedubya

I very much enjoy making "hill country wind chimes"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
That's a Merkel K3 Jagd Stutzen.

[Linked Image]

That particular rifle is chambered for the 308 Winchester.

[Linked Image]

Ya,

If you recall, I have a number of your lanyards on different knives!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I find them to be very handy!

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
As an example.

I shot this pig. Course he would flop in the mud!

[Linked Image]

So when you're poking a hole in his leaders in order to get a strap thru to pull him out, it's mighty handy to have a lanyard when ya' drop your blade in the mud and it sinks. The orange kinda stands out!

[Linked Image]

Lucky i had a lanyard!

[Linked Image]

not trying to beat it to death, but at 66 my thumb joints are worn out. My grip ain't what it used to be. Kydex, and wet formed leather pouch style sheaths where you have about an inch or so of purchase can make it somewhat difficult to draw the knife. I find that the knots on the lanyard are an aid.

ya!

GWB

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a Spyderco Moran for a buddy and helped him skin a couple deer with it. I was pretty impressed. I can't think of a better option under a hundred bucks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a Merkel K3 Jagd Stutzen.

[Linked Image]

That particular rifle is chambered for the 308 Winchester.

[Linked Image]

Ya,

If you recall, I have a number of your lanyards on different knives!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I find them to be very handy!

ya!

GWB

Who made the sheaths? They are awesome

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Buck Vanguard.

I like KOA's D2 knives too.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Another vote for the Buck Vanguard.

I like KOA's D2 knives too.

My two favorite KOA's, both D2

[Linked Image]

Yukon Belt Knife,

[Linked Image]

ULU

In fact I liked the YBK so much I had Gary Dukeman recreate one in D2

[Linked Image]

I liked it enough that when he showed me his "Oklahoma Belt Knife, I grabbed it!

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Passport,

The sheaths are by Larry Parsons,

http://www.parsonssaddleshop.com/

Larry is also on facebook.

ya!

GWB

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
There are a lot of good knives out there but I would probably default to a Buck. Last Wednesday before dark I killed two doe whitetails. I gutted, skinned, and quartered them with my Dad's old 110 that I sent back to Buck to have the blade replaced. I cut through the sternums. I did not have to stop at any point to sharpen it. When I started in had a fresh shaving edge and when I finished, it would still drag on arm hair and try to shave. I freshened up the edge quite easily in about 5 minutes on a Soft Arkansas yesterday afternoon. Its ready for more mayhem. I think Bucks hold an edge well enough for anything I'll ever need to do, sharpen easily, and are dirt cheap for what you get.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
OK, here's the deal. You have to purchase either a commercially produced knife or semi-commercial. What would you go with and why? (Glad this isn't for real, I love my Dozier).

Production knife?

It will probably have Japanese steel and/or mfg on it.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Forgot about koa, they're another great option for the money. They did good with the d2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
One of my favorite fixed blade "production" knives

[Linked Image]

Cold Steel "Outdoorsman".

This knife is always in my kit as was the one that preceded it, which I lost somehow somewhere.

I use it for breaking briskets an removing entrails!

[Linked Image]

Junglee, and Cold Steel!

[Linked Image]

and a Cold Steel Master Hunter, w/ guthook, Carbon V. Used it for a number of years before I started collecting customs.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/27/17.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Seems all Jap sourced steel.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've been using the hell out of one of these Mora's and they're pretty hard to beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Mol...7114&sr=8-3&keywords=mora+knives

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agree with Travis Davis Clarke on the Mora.

Stupid good for the money.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mora knives have to be the best bang for the buck out there.
I picked up a 511 for my son's first "real" knife.I like the guard for the kiddo but it kinda gets in my way.
My favorite is the 510

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Allround-3-75-Inch-Carbon/dp/B00KIT3KR8

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These two are pretty decent for factory offerings, Kershaw gentleman's folder and Moki Banf

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both VG-10 blades and under $100. Don't know why Kershaw discontinued the 1993.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Passport,

The sheaths are by Larry Parsons,

http://www.parsonssaddleshop.com/

Larry is also on facebook.

ya!

GWB

Thanks for that link Gdub . . .Larry is right next door in Mustang. Think I'll go see him.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dude270
Mora knives have to be the best bang for the buck out there. . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Allround-3-75-Inch-Carbon/dp/B00KIT3KR8

I have to agree with the Moras. I have bought several and their value far exceeds what I pay for them. I also like the other scandi brands like Kellam Puukko, Marttiini, and Helle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
These two are pretty decent for factory offerings, Kershaw gentleman's folder and Moki Banf

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Both VG-10 blades and under $100. Don't know why Kershaw discontinued the 1993.

That Moki intrigues me.

Like I need another fugkin' knife... Thanks, a-hole.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad I could enable. I forget who tipped me about the moki. Not quite the fit and finish of a custom blade, but a useful grind and good steel. The handle is sized more for girl hands, so I'm sure you'll love it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm used to skinny and short.

Should be a perfect match.

Clark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Vicky.
GFY.

Vicky

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not high production, but a fantastic knife by a real craftsman, Dave kauffman. I posted this a few years ago and Rick Menefee had a conniption fit. Oh well, it is a real nice knife...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my favorite fixed blade "production" knives

[Linked Image]

Cold Steel "Outdoorsman".

This knife is always in my kit as was the one that preceded it, which I lost somehow somewhere.

I use it for breaking briskets an removing entrails!

[Linked Image]

Junglee, and Cold Steel!

[Linked Image]

and a Cold Steel Master Hunter, w/ guthook, Carbon V. Used it for a number of years before I started collecting customs.

ya!

GWB

Love the old Cold Steels GW. I've got quite a few of them.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'd use the Buck 103, the "Skinner".

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My old Spyderco Bill Moran Skinner. Was a limited run over 20 years ago.

Like mine also

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Not high production, but a fantastic knife by a real craftsman, Dave kauffman. I posted this a few years ago and Rick Menefee had a conniption fit. Oh well, it is a real nice knife...

If you were hawkin' "real craftsman" of the knife trade with the offered example, I am glad Rick spoke up.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by robertacabin

Years ago, maybe 15 or so. Gerber made the Gator with a drop point in 154cm, IIRC. I liked it, but lost it....

I believe that I have one, still in the blister pack. Brother gave it to me for Christmas, many years back.

For the OP question, D.H. Russell Bird n Trout or KOA Cub.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
S30V Buck Vanguard

Good steel, USA made, a handle that fits my hand pretty decently, capable of the game duties you mention as well as a few camp chores I have been known to use my hunting style knives for. On sale, you can buy one for a Benjamin.

Hard to beat for the money. I just picked one up for 63 bucks from LL Bean (25% off coupon)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Benchcraft 162 S30V or the Bark River Fox River LT Elmax

Fox River LT has thinner blade than regular Bark River

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something from Bark River....classic drop-point or Canadian skinner should do the trick.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Buck made a knife years ago called a selector... I think. You could change blades by depressing the locking mechanism on it and change from a serrated, drop point, or a saw... liked it so much was quite distraught when I couldn't find it. Went out, found another and bought it. Found the original....now I have 2. Love them. They work well for what I need. Also have a 110... and thanks to you guys several customs. 2 from Gene Ingram with a third due around the 1st of the year... so thanks.
whislpig

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a good production knife. Good ol 1095 steel too.

Might be a little hard to find these days though. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by whislpig
Buck made a knife years ago called a selector... I think. You could change blades by depressing the locking mechanism on it and change from a serrated, drop point, or a saw... liked it so much was quite distraught when I couldn't find it. Went out, found another and bought it. Found the original....now I have 2. Love them. They work well for what I need. Also have a 110... and thanks to you guys several customs. 2 from Gene Ingram with a third due around the 1st of the year... so thanks.
whislpig

I have a Case version of this.

FJB & FJT
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I bought a Gerber Gator S30V fixed blade from Cabela's that I really like and recently, a Buck 103 skinner, I like both equally well.

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well before I became a knife snob I ran KOA and cold steel

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is a good production knife. Good ol 1095 steel too.

Might be a little hard to find these days though. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That’s cool..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Big game for me is whitetail deer - I own several production knives but mainly use the Buck 118 Personal from gutting to skinning to butchering the meat. I do prefer the older versions with 440C steel - the edge lasts longer but is tougher to re-apply.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S30V Buck Vanguard

Hard to beat for the money. I just picked one up for 63 bucks from LL Bean (25% off coupon)

[Linked Image]

Agreed......I retired my old Estwing when the Vanguard came out back in the 80's.
I piled up a lot of memories with it and that little 102 over the years.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S30V Buck Vanguard

[Linked Image]

Agreed......I retired my old Estwing when the Vanguard came out back in the 80's.

[Linked Image]

The blade profile is so much better on the 192 Vanguard for removing back straps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S30V Buck Vanguard

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The blade profile is so much better on the 192 Vanguard for removing back straps.

I didn't know they changed it.

I've gutless skinned a lot of game with that old Vanguard without any problem though. I love that knife.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a nice puma knife , about 20 years old or a 75th anniversary Buck 119

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For cheap no frills user. Cold steel Pendleton lite. $15.

I hacked the belt clip off to carry in my orange vest pocket.

[Linked Image]

Dave

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Growing up, my Dad liked and used Buck knives so that's the route I took buying my first knives. Years later, I have a couple drawers full of mostly production and a handful of handmade knives. The knife I tend to use most in the field these days is a KOA Alpha Wolf in S30V with the rubber non-slip grip. To answer the original question regarding purchasing "either a commercially produced knife or semi-commercial", today it would be another Alpha Wolf in D2 with either G10 or stag scales just to try something different.

Last edited by JGray; 12/15/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never liked carrying a fixed blade knife while hunting. Always much preferred just sticking a folder in my pocket. I have a bunch of "folding hunters" including a Buck 110 and 112, an uncle Henry LB7, a couple of Old Timers, an old Puma 970 "Game Warden", a two blade Case "folding hunter" and an old FRN handled Parker. My favorites of those are the Puma and Parker because they're big enough to get the job done, hold a razor sharp edge reasonably long and are considerably slimmer and lighter than the Bucks and Schrades. If I had to buy a new one I'd get another Puma, either the Game Warden or the stag handled Prince.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You'd pay $150 for a knife with 440a steel (Prince)?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I received a Buck 118 recently. If a guy wanted one knife to field dress, skin, quarter, and debone a deer this would be a good candidate

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What steels are available for the 118?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
420HC and 5160 right now. You might be able to find D2

Last edited by troutfisher13111; 12/31/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree on the 118 but you need to be careful with that swept up point. It can get you in trouble in the body cavity. BTDT. I really like my 116 for gutting and the 118 for everything else. Being able to run them through the dish washer guilt free don't hurt either.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bbassi
I agree on the 118 but you need to be careful with that swept up point. It can get you in trouble in the body cavity. BTDT.

Yes, the up-swept tip could lead to trouble in the gutting process........haven't BTDT put can certainly see the issue. Only time I've had that "trouble" was when rushing to get the job done.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the upswept tip bothers you, take a belt sander to it.....

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
My 118 I just bought has D2.;) Knifecenter. 62.94 tyd

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dinsmore1
My 118 I just bought has D2.;) Knifecenter. 62.94 tyd

Thanks, just ordered one

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me 3.Thanks for the heads up

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone used a case lite hunter?

[Linked Image]

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd just keep using my old 105 and 110.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whislpig
whislpig

Case xxChanger. I have had this one for many years. It handles anything you want.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

O
O
For pure hunting and skinning an old Western Knives 88 in a Marbles Woodcraft design.
[img]https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-hf5q...5680618.1517267375-2068126535.1513620483[/img]
Great steel, holds an edge and great skinner.

Bug-Out kit a UTK 0200 8: battle axe in 1095 steel.
[img]https://fitzwillies.com/manage/products/132/edit[/img]
A brute that can do it all.

All around knife knife, survival, hunting, defensive, SOG NW Ranger in AUS 8 steel.
[img]https://fitzwillies.com/manage/products/141/edit[/img]

You can never have just one knife.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been looking at some pretty nice knives from both ESEE and The Bushcraft Store, and was wondering: for general skinning, deboning, etc., other than difference in sharpening, is there any grind preference for that kind of work? All seem to come with either the standard bevel grind or scandi grind.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I had mis-placed my Boker Kalashnikov Auto for about a week. I hate to be without an auto EDC. When I spied this it was lust at first sight. The fact that i got it for about 60% of MSRP made it irresistable to a knife-slut such as I.

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've owned this Gerber bolt action knife since 1984. It has 3 blades (drop point, gut hook and saw). It has seen a lot of work

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Shazztastic, Ya...

Caught an Emerson flavored Protech, on Thursday.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wait, wait, wait. This is your hunting knife. Be it deer, elk, etc. You'll use it for skinning, gutting, splitting rib cages, quartering, etc.

Vickies always score tens in my book...for something more all around Benchmade Grippies or Buck 110/112 Drop points in S30V are the tops currently IME... But then, maybe ME is behind the curve...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.