Print Thread
Hop To
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I posted a couple weeks ago about a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster that just kept moving the point of impact to the left

Well I did what I could and took it out today and it kept doing it. Frustrated I called Ruger the young lady said it was probably headspace so they sent me a call tag but before I boxed it I seen this

[Linked Image]

I have been a believer in Granpas Weaver rings and a close friend (God Bless him he has passed) has kept telling me they are just tough
Well if you look at the pic the rear (both are doing it) the strap is moving forward I cant believe it

I had the gun I torqued the screws way past where I should have 30IN LBs took it back out 2 shots it was doing it again

So I cased the rifle brought it home and put different rings we will try again

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No, been using Weaver rings 40+ yrs and never had any do that. But I did have a crooked cut base that came with one of the Ruger Americans I had. I switched to a set of 2 piece Weaver bases and my scope set properly in the rings.
Just a thought.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the Talley split rings and bases.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've had Weaver rings on several centerfire rifles and on my shotgun slug gun, never had any problems.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some say the brake makes the 450s tougher on scopes/rings. I have heard of the Weaver scope Dunhams is selling with it get blown out pretty quickly.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nope never

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, but it makes sense that it could happen with a sharp kicker. Something on the bottom of the ring to increase friction might fix that.
I would never trust it though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
They are off we are going a a different direction

Hank

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When using Weaver rings, I prefer the Quad-Lock type with 4 screws. Work well for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did you crack the screws when you cranked them down?

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Richdeerhunter
When using Weaver rings, I prefer the Quad-Lock type with 4 screws. Work well for me.

Definitely a step in the right direction.

In hopes to avoid a barrage of death threats, I'll avoid calling the other style JUNK - again..... grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yup, had the same thing happen on a .375 H&H. The side of the ring opposite the screws really has nothing that prevents this and can slide with heavy recoil. I only experienced this once, but it put me off using Weaver rings for anything that kicks harder than a .30/06. I know that lots of these rings have been used for years on hard kicking rifles, but once was enough for me.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I gave up on those type of Weavers and went with the 2 strap version...

now have gone to the ones that instead of the 4 strap, they are one piece on top..4 screws

Their Skeleton Mount, PCN: 48360...

where they clinch onto the bases, there is a 1/2 nut, you can tighten down with a socket..

just don't get over zealous and tighten too much, or you will break their aluminum bases
if you use those.... steel bases no problem...unless you tighten too much and crunch
the sides of your aluminum body scope....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
boatboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I gave up on those type of Weavers and went with the 2 strap version...

now have gone to the ones that instead of the 4 strap, they are one piece on top..4 screws

Their Skeleton Mount, PCN: 48360...

where they clinch onto the bases, there is a 1/2 nut, you can tighten down with a socket..

just don't get over zealous and tighten too much, or you will break their aluminum bases
if you use those.... steel bases no problem...unless you tighten too much and crunch
the sides of your aluminum body scope....

I had a set of skeleton mounts in 30mm and so I used them
range tomorrow
Hank

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are recoil sensitive...

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It seems to me for that to happen, something must have broken or the cross screws weren't seated in the cross slots. I've had them on a .338 WM with no problems. Very interesting.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used weavers on everything up to 375magnums without any problems.

Weaver makes another very similar ring called Sure Grip. Looks a lot like the original except it has two screws on each side of the top strap instead of a hook on one side. I think its an improvement over the old style and wonder why weaver doesn't go with it instead.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 35, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,551 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.