Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I suspect some people besides me have had a similar experience.

I pulled out my Stevens 200 "243" out of the safe, restocked it, mounted a 4-12 scope on it, and was cleaning up when I noticed that the barrel stamp was "308 Winchester". Oops... crazy Then I remembered. [bleep]! I sold it in the spring to fund another rifle build. I was too busy with some other projects, and it slipped my mind. I have always had a 243 around because its a great dual purpose cartridge. Coyotes and whitetails.

[Linked Image]

When the Stevens 200 first came out, I bought three because they were a cheap platform on which to build. I rebuilt two, but left the 243 Win as is, except for the trigger. My plan was to replace the plastic OEM Savage stock with a Boyds AT-ONE and see if it would group tighter. I guess that's not going to happen now. Much to my chagrin, I now have three 308s, not two, so another rebarrel is in order.

I was tussling with the idea of building a 6mm Creedmoor, but the idea quickly went away. I will stick with the 243. I've got lots of brass, dies, etc. It's not worth the bother.

[Linked Image]...[Linked Image]

A nice Shilen match barrel, prethreaded for a Savage should do the trick.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B6

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Not to that extent, but I have pulled something out of the safe not remembering I had one.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No, but once I had to turn around and go home for the rifle - fortunately only a couple miles. And for the rifle’s bolt another time- 26 mile rt

Last edited by las; 10/26/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have traded fast enough that I didn't have the rifle's replacement anymore in under a month when someone asked me about the original one lol

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, it's one of those "D'oh!" moments. We all have them.

I have turned around for ammunition a few times. About ten years ago, I took a 303 Epps with me moose hunting. 30 miles from the house I turned around. Several times when heading to the range. I always take two rifles with me when I go hunting, Just in case something happens to one of them.

Once, I dropped 300 loaded 30-30 cartridges onto the driveway, on the way to the truck. They were test loads for my infamous 30-30 Handi - the rifle from hell.

[Linked Image]

This rifle is now being used by the Vatican to train exorcists.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Friend of my dad's set his gun against a tree beside the truck. 4 hours later, in the dark, on national Forest land, it was still there. Weird look on his face when we got home and it wasn't in the truck! Same guy put a cigar out on the buttstock of a brand new citori O/U and used it as a walking stick up a rock slide.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Friend of my dad's set his gun against a tree beside the truck. 4 hours later, in the dark, on national Forest land, it was still there. Weird look on his face when we got home and it wasn't in the truck! Same guy put a cigar out on the buttstock of a brand new citori O/U and used it as a walking stick up a rock slide.

laugh That might get some shotgunners blood boiling. Then again, some would say, meh, it's a Browning. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, but I dream that I still have rifles that I sold. Then I wake up pissed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know what you mean. I have a love-hate relationship with the 6.5x55. I've owned four, and traded off every one of them. But I end up buying one again. All Tikkas, The only one that I regret selling was an M595. The wood and heft were fabulous. I guess the closest I'll get to it is a T3 Hunter.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I know what you mean. I have a love-hate relationship with the 6.5x55. I've owned four, and traded off every one of them. But I end up buying one again. All Tikkas, The only one that I regret selling was an M595. The wood and heft were fabulous. I guess the closest I'll get to it is a T3 Hunter.

I have the same relationship with 6.5 cartridges, I love them on paper, havne't found a package that I want to keep. Owned a full custom 260, a model 7 CDL in 260, a kimber open country in 6.5 creedmoore, a 6.5sweede milsurp rifle and a few others. My expectations always exceed the reality... mostly mental...

The only keeper so far has been a .264 winmag. It shoots better than I can. Even though it weight 2# more than all my other hunting rifles!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've pulled a rifle from the back of one of the safes thinking "BLEEP, I thought I sold that". I've also reloaded for a rifle that I went to the safe for and then realized, "BLEEP, I forgot I sold that!".

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
523 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.