Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a pair of Cabela's stocking foot waders. I was planning to wear my old Keen water shoes over them but they're too small. I'm looking for something else.

Bigger, obviously. Not too heavy because the whole purpose of these will be backpacking into some remote stretches of river to fish quite a few miles from any roads. I want something that dries quickly, either sandal-like or of very thin material that will dry out so they're not too heavy ... and don't pour water on me when I'm hiking back out.

Thoughts / suggestions?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
L. L. Bean West Branch wading boots with Aqua Stealth soles. 3 lb. 3 oz. for pair

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LL Bean has some online sales on wading boots going on right now.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simms G3 Guide Boots with studs.

You will not be disappointed.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Is there a compelling reason to pick boots over sandal-like shoes? I'm trying to stay away from the bulk and weight of boots, I have enough bulk and weight with waders.

I probably didn't make this real clear ... the application for boots, waders, etc includes a 5 to 10 mile round trip slog with the waders, boots / sandals, and fishing tackle to get to the fishing spot. The plan is to lash it all to a packboard for the trip. Weight matters plus I don't want wet boots pouring water down the backs of my legs on the hike out. Figured something like the Keen Newport H2 would be ideal for that but the ones I have are too small. Is there a reason you think those are not a good choice?

Thanks!

Tom

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Tom,

My only concern wearing sandals would be wear and tear on the boot-foot. You're going to abrade those neoprene booties every time you rub a rock or stick. It will definitely cut the life of your waders. Check out Soft Science. My buddy just bought a pair of the Terrafins a couple months ago and loves em. They're light and dry fast. Not nearly as heavy and stiff as our Korkers. Much cooler for summer use. The make shoes as well that might work out for you. Here's a link to the mens' fishing section.

http://www.softscience.com/mens/fishing.html

David

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those are closer to what I'm looking for. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, there's a whole branch of fishing in Japan (genryu), where anglers hike in for a distance to fish headwaters. Technical stuff at times - up to including the use of ropes. You might spend a little time doing some research on what's available for that group. From what I've seen, it looks lightweight and rugged. But then you have to pay for it. Not particularly cheap.

Genryu articles: http://www.discovertenkara.com/keiichigenryu1.html
http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/p/genryu.html

You can buy Japanese market fishing gear at Rakuten. As well, the guy at Tenkara-Ya will also acquire gear that you select, then ship to the USA.

Tenkara-ya http://www.tenkaraya.com/
Rakuten: https://global.rakuten.com/

I've read very good things about Tenkara-ya, and had no issues ordering and receiving two rods from Ebisusan (Ebisu3) on Rakuten.

Were it me, I'd consider just wearing a pair of synthetic convertible pants. Hike in shorts, then zip on the legs when I got to the stream, then wear a pair of relatively inexpensive neoprene wading socks inside your choice of footwear and over the pants cuffs. Off come the legs and socks for the hike out. But maybe you're thinking of doing this during spring runoff? Brrrr....

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just bought these and like them very much. They are not heavy, but they are felt soles, so not for hiking long distances.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HODGMAN-H-FELT-WADING-BOOTS-DS/2059260.uts

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get one with the Boa closure, it's a game changer. I have the predecessor to this boot in both the plain and studded sole varieties. They're the bat's ass.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/909...1109-GN1&csp=f&attrValue_0=Brown

They're on sale and you can get another 20% off with the promo code FALL20.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
So Tom, what did you end up with?

On the BOA system, I really love it on my Korkers. It's so easy to give it a twist to snug em up after a little time in the water. And easy to get on/off in general. I'd be hard-pressed to buy a boot without it, if available.

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a set of SoftScience Terrafins on order due for delivery soon. Fingers crossed!

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be weary of a BOA system for a boot that's going to be used for backpack fishing. The last thing you'd want is one of those cables to break while fishing back in the woods. I'd go with a regular laced set up and get a pair of Kevlar laces off Amazon to have in your fishing pack as backup. I know a lot of people that like the BOA. But, I also know people have had them break at unfortunate times too and been rendered inoperable.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I'd be weary of a BOA system for a boot that's going to be used for backpack fishing. The last thing you'd want is one of those cables to break while fishing back in the woods. I'd go with a regular laced set up and get a pair of Kevlar laces off Amazon to have in your fishing pack as backup. I know a lot of people that like the BOA. But, I also know people have had them break at unfortunate times too and been rendered inoperable.

And what is the difference between carrying a BOA lace replacement and the Kevlar? Or, more to the point, any lacing you want instead of OEM? Plain thin lacing works just fine in an emergency...

I just went to the Simms G3 boot with plain laces but miss the BOAs in many ways.

Word has it the G3 is going to be completely redone this year and the G# will be on sale at your LFS... It is simply the most popular high-end wading boot in history. And my feet even find it amazing, though they are far from average...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And what is the difference between carrying a BOA lace replacement and the Kevlar? Or, more to the point, any lacing you want instead of OEM? Plain thin lacing works just fine in an emergency...

I just went to the Simms G3 boot with plain laces but miss the BOAs in many ways.

Word has it the G3 is going to be completely redone this year and the G# will be on sale at your LFS... It is simply the most popular high-end wading boot in history. And my feet even find it amazing, though they are far from average...

Well which one takes less time and is easier to repair?

If I'm in a back country setting I don't want to waste time fiddling around with a BOA system should a problem arise.

Regular lacing does work just fine, but I've also broke more than one pair of regular laces on wading boots as well. Replacing with Kevlar simply eliminates the possibility of something going wrong. I've yet to break a pair anyway.

I don't need my boots tighter than I can tie them with my hands and with a little knowledge on tying boots having them come untied is not an issue. The laces get tucked behind the gravel guard on the waders, so catching them on anything is not an issue. So what's the advantage of the BOA again? Other than to complicate a relatively simple process.

YMMV

Last edited by GuideGun; 10/28/17.

-Matt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Well which one takes less time and is easier to repair?

If I'm in a back country setting I don't want to waste time fiddling around with a BOA system should a problem arise.

Regular lacing does work just fine, but I've also broke more than one pair of regular laces on wading boots as well. Replacing with Kevlar simply eliminates the possibility of something going wrong. I've yet to break a pair anyway.

I don't need my boots tighter than I can tie them with my hands and with a little knowledge on tying boots having them come untied is not an issue. The laces get tucked behind the gravel guard on the waders, so catching them on anything is not an issue. So what's the advantage of the BOA again? Other than to complicate a relatively simple process.

YMMV

I would say there is very little difference in time required... and my Boa boots literally wore out while the Boa was still going strong. Trying to make it sound like a great tragedy just because a lacing system failed is a bit over the top, no?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
BOA gives you the ability to make a really quick adjustment after you’re on the move. I almost always make a quick cinch after I’ve been in the water and moving around a bit. The boots settle in and just need a quick twist to snug em up. Real PITA with laces. I’ll stick with BOA. Hell I’d put em on my running shoes if I could!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (Anaconda, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.