Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by las
I really don't need to measure my dick against anyone else.

Interpreted this means you suck as a hunter?

And you suck hunters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Living in Montana, you don't have to go anywhere else to find something to hunt. I have been fortunate enough to kill all the "Big Ten" in Montana. The best part is you can almost do it every year...

You are tremendously luckier than I am in the draws.

I'll agree that you can hunt Mule and Whitetail deer, Elk, Mountain Lion, and Black bear every year. I think your second deer has to be a Whitetail doe. Antelope licenses have been reduced so it isn't a guaranteed draw every year any more. There are still a few "unlimited areas" for Bighorn sheep, but now if you buy a tag you have a 7 year wait before you can buy another. Moose, Goat, and Buffalo are also on a very low odds draw with Moose and Goat also on a 7 year wait after you draw a tag. You can buy a Buffalo hunt every year on Turner's ranch (which I did one year).

I've applied every year for almost 40 years for Montana Sheep, Moose, and Goat tags and every year that they have offered Buffalo tags. I also have the maximum number of "bonus points" for each species. I drew my last Goat license in 1978, my last Bighorn ram license in 1983, and my last Moose license in 1988. Back then they didn't have the 7 year wait restriction if you drew a tag. I am still waiting for my first Buffalo license.

I can't tell if you are bragging or complaining...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

...I can't tell if you are bragging or complaining...

Lets see, 39 consecutive years of applying for a Goat license without drawing,,,I must be bragging!

I was just curious as to what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana??

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Lets see, 39 consecutive years of applying for a Goat license without drawing,,,I must be bragging!

I was just curious as to what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana??

Wow, you are easily disappointed. I guess you could try Colorado or Wyoming...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Elk
Mule deer
White tail
Cougar
Black bear
Bison

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No, those states have priced themselves above my tax bracket, although I did find a deal and went back to Colorado a couple of years ago to fill my lion tag.

And I'm still waiting to hear what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana when I have maximum bonus points and I have waited for 29 to 39 years without drawing tags for several of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No, those states have priced themselves above my tax bracket, although I did find a deal and went back to Colorado a couple of years ago to fill my lion tag.

And I'm still waiting to hear what "Big Ten" animals you can hunt every year here in Montana when I have maximum bonus points and I have waited for 29 to 39 years without drawing tags for several of them.

Actually I thought you were better than this. I love Montana and if you are really complaining, there are tons of highways leading out to somewhere else.

Here is what I said.

Living in Montana, you don't have to go anywhere else to find something to hunt. I have been fortunate enough to kill all the "Big Ten" in Montana. The best part is you can almost do it every year...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by las
I really don't need to measure my dick against anyone else.

Interpreted this means you suck as a hunter?

Seems so lately! smile

OK, I'll play nice.

caribou (about 75)
moose (20+)
several Dall sheep
several black bear

1 each (so far)
mountain goat,
elk,
mule deer,
whitetail
wolf

Last edited by las; 11/07/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes we are very fortunate to have 10 (WT Deer, M Deer, RM Elk, B Bear, Mtn Lion, Mtn Goat, BH Sheep, S Moose, Buffalo, and Antelope) of the North American 29 Big Game animals here in Montana. If these are the "Big Ten" that you have killed, then Congratulations.

Licenses for the first 5 animals that I listed and archery Antelope in some units are available every year. You can also buy a bighorn Sheep license in one of the 5 unlimited units, but if you kill a ram you have to wait 7 years before you can apply for another tag. The odds of drawing a Goat, Moose, or Buffalo tag are very low, and if you do draw a Goat or Moose tag, you have to wait 7 years before you can apply again.

So realistically you can hunt 6 of the 10 Montana big game animals every year. That's almost doing it every year. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes we are very fortunate to have 10 (WT Deer, M Deer, RM Elk, B Bear, Mtn Lion, Mtn Goat, BH Sheep, S Moose, Buffalo, and Antelope) of the North American 29 Big Game animals here in Montana. If these are the "Big Ten" that you have killed, then Congratulations.

Licenses for the first 5 animals that I listed and archery Antelope in some units are available every year. You can also buy a bighorn Sheep license in one of the 5 unlimited units, but if you kill a ram you have to wait 7 years before you can apply for another tag. The odds of drawing a Goat, Moose, or Buffalo tag are very low, and if you do draw a Goat or Moose tag, you have to wait 7 years before you can apply again.

So realistically you can hunt 6 of the 10 Montana big game animals every year. That's almost doing it every year. laugh

Buffalo wasn't included in the 10, Grizzly bear was, and I do have both...

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Out of the list, the below are the ones I've not seen in the wild

Tule Elk

Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou

Quebec Labrador Caribou

Woodland Caribou

California Bighorn Sheep

Desert Bighorn Sheep

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

Stone Sheep

Atlantic Walrus

Jaguar

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Buffalo wasn't included in the 10, Grizzly bear was, and I do have both...

I think I see what you've done here, but man...that sure was a round about way of doing business. I guess a guy could add woodland caribou despite there being no season...since the Idaho herd occasionally crosses (or at least did) from the Selkirks into extreme NW Montana.

Congrats on those critters and glad to see you posting again! I've got max points for goat and sheep, with no tag in sight...

I've hunted critters in New Zealand, Argentina and Africa, and sometimes wonder if I should have put that money towards a dall or stone sheep hunt instead...decisions, decisions...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before they classified the Grizzly as endangered, I used to buy a tag every year. I really didn't know how to hunt them but I just hoped that I would find one on one of my elk gut piles like one of the guys that I worked with did. Back then I didn't know what a good thing we had. And just like the unlimited Bighorn sheep tags, I'd buy one every year and go look for one opening weekend. If I saw one fine, if I didn't fine. One year I even passed up a legal ram at twenty yards because I had killed a full curl ram the year before. I went back and killed that ram the following year, and that was the last year that unit was unlimited. All of the Grizzly bears that I have seen in Montana were either out of the hunting season or were after they quit selling tags for them.

I wouldn't add Woodland caribou to the list because as far as I know (since 1975) there has never been a huntable number of them in Montana.

However Wolves are now a game animal in Montana, with a season, quotas, and tags (I have one in my pocket), and they are a formidable animal to hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wolves are a worthy trophy no doubt...anywhere-let alone in the lower 48. I killed one during the first season in Montana in 2009, easily could have killed another in 2010 (when there was no season), possibly could have got within range of some in 2012 and 2014 but I didn't have a tag those years, blew my chance at one in 2015 and easily could have killed one while turkey hunting just last spring...all in the Bitterroot, with only two chances at elk during that same time period.

Personally, I think wolves are easier to kill than elk on public land/general tags, though I know LOTS of people will disagree with me.

Elk straight up give me fits for some reason, more than any other animal.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

My list. All taken in Oregon.

Black Bear
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Rocky Mountain Elk
Pronghorn Antelope
California Bighorn Sheep

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Brown Bear
Black Bear
Whitetail Deer
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Alaska-Yukon Moose
Mountain Goat

All DIY with the aught six 😀, hope to go pronghorn hunting next fall but first need to get some venison in the freezer for this year! Aint life grand

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Whitetail deer

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got mule deer, whitetail deer, black bear, rocky mtn elk, pronghorn antelope, shiras moose, mountain goat, and cougar. Hoping for a bison and bighorn sheep at some point and doubt I'll get any farther along the list than that. Too bad they don't count turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys, white turkey hunting in eastern MT I was viewing some of the old native american petroglyphs. Looks like some folks found the need to deface the area with their own drawings. The Forest Service has since put up a sign up asking other people to not vandalize.

Attached Images
art1.JPG (21.28 KB, 55 downloads)
art2.JPG (22.79 KB, 49 downloads)
art3.JPG (21.02 KB, 46 downloads)
art4.JPG (20.68 KB, 319 downloads)
art5.JPG (21.29 KB, 46 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I've got mule deer, whitetail deer, black bear, rocky mtn elk, pronghorn antelope, shiras moose, mountain goat, and cougar. Hoping for a bison and bighorn sheep at some point and doubt I'll get any farther along the list than that. Too bad they don't count turkeys.

Speaking of turkeys, white turkey hunting in eastern MT I was viewing some of the old native american petroglyphs. Looks like some folks found the need to deface the area with their own drawings. The Forest Service has since put up a sign up asking other people to not vandalize.

I think your hunting accomplishments are already on a whole 'nother level.

Similar vandalism occurred to the petroglyphs at Newspaper Rock, UT. Sad.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm light a couple on the list.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.