Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I ordered an Encore Pro Hunter frame assembly for a spare 35 Whelen barrel and went to pick it up yesterday. Big time disappointed. The forend had junks knocked out of the plastic, the butt looked liked the rubber inserts were put in with a dremel tool and hot glue and the frame cross pin was sticking out with a sharp edge that would scratch you. Fortunately, with this shop it was clearly understood when it was ordered that I didn't have to take it if I didn't like it. I didn't take it and they were shipping it back. I don't know if this lack of quality control is normal these days with S&W built Encores but I won't be looking for one.

I haven't had this problem with NH Encores. Lucky for me I went to a local shop today and they had just taken in an older Encore in mint shape. It had a 20 ga. barrel mounted with a Leupold 2-7x32 shotgun scope with the heavy duplex reticle. I paid $550.00 for it and figured it was a hell of a deal.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anytime a great firearms company is absorbed by another (i.e. Marlin/Remington, TC/S&W), it rarely goes well, because the new owners haven't a clue how the old company did business and earned their reputation...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A Smith and Wesson handgun would havenot passed the final quality control check but why did the T/C Encore frame? Smith and Wesson buying T/C has not faired well for T/C

S&W bought T/C in 2006 at the peak of the muzzleloading rifle market, two years later T/C muzzleloading rifle sales were down 40%. The ML rifle sales have not rebounded and are not likely too. Unless some form of new technology emerges with rifle similar to the closed breech designs that launched the T/C product line the ML market likely stays depressed. T/C launching the "OMEGA" ML rifle was the most successful launch of a new rifle ever in the firearms industry followed by the T/C Pro hunter.

Doc

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think S&W bought T/C only to gain access to some of their technology. I don't think they ever had any interest in growing or improving the Encore/Contender lines. All of my frames and barrels are pre-S&W because I'm aware of too many guys having quality control issues with the newer ones. About fan, you did good on your purchase but you might be changing your screen name now that you have an Encore! 😜

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
basdjs,

I've had Abolts a long time but they're not all I've got. This is my fourth Encore frame and I've probably had a dozen barrels. I like hunting with single shots. I've hunted with them from Canada to Mississippi. If I could afford them there would be a stack of Blaser K-95s in the safe.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My son just bought a Strike and it's fine. If I didn't have an inline already, I'd buy one like his.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My guess and only a guess: S&W was looking to make a accurate or more accurate rifle because T/C had a great reputation in that area. If things have slipped, its a shame. I did not see that or hear any thing until now. Not to say it aint so, just more bad news. Then any new product or big plant move might have some issues. Lets hope that is all it is.

I handled an Encore pistol recently and it looked fine to me. The grips felt hard and uncomfortable, compared to the old Pachmeyer on my Contender. I dont know if mine are factory or added later. The old TC wood grips were the worst ever. Grips are a typical upgrade anyways. The metal work looks right. Cheap matt finish, So everyone has gone that route.

The barrel & caliber selection seems much more limited. Now we have encore and contender, that dilutes the offerings. Might have been better to just drop the contender. I like the contender, so that would just be anther complaint for me. TC was all over any new fad caliber, not to mention ideas of thier own. Where are the 6.5's and 450BM or 300BO 45/70. Do they even a 500 pistol version? Which frame would get the small stuff? I might want a 223 or one of the Hornets and already have an encore or a contender. There is no 44 mag or 410 in the encore. Where is the versatility if all you have is 243 and 308 as reasonable choices in an encore.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
S&W did a good job of fixin' something that weren't broke IMO.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
About a year after TC changed hands I bought a ProHunter with a 35 Whelen barrel. The barrel had chamber problems, so bad that the heads were falling off new once fired factory round brass in the tumbler. I sent the barrel back to TC and over a period of a few months I received and sent back 4 additional barrels with the same problem. I ordered a custom barrel from MGM (Match Grade Machine) and it is a tack driver. I also had a 25-06 TC barrel that had a bad chamber.

Now, if I want another ProHunter I buy a TC frame and an MGM barrel. Did that recently with a 308 Win. barrel from MGM, got the frame in a swap.

Aboltfan, I suggest that, if you want a 35 Whelen barrel for that Encore, check with MGM. I have ordered two barrels from them now and they give excellent service. I also use an adjustable hinge pin that tightens up with. Works very well.

Last edited by Gladesman; 11/05/17.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I had a contender frame that was so out of spec it wouldn't even close with a barrel installed. A friend had the same issue and both were replaced smith and wesson. No thanks.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I understand that actual T-C pre-S&W frames are getting hard to find because people don't trust the new ones. So I hang onto my G2 and New Hampshire made Encores, which have never had one problem. They both have either pre-S&W T-C or MGM (one of my pre-S&W "T-C" barrels, a 24" .410 with a cute ventilated rib and choke tubes was very clearly made by MGM also. I've downsized considerably and have "only" a .20 guage smoothbore and a .243 "Pro Hunter" barrel for the Encore, and .410, .357 Max,, and .25-35 barrels for the G2

However, I do have a newer S&W "match chamber" .22 LR barrel which fit my old G2 frame perfectly and is a tack driver. Bought it used on the 'Fire.

Not sure why MGM makes "T-C" barrels better than T-C does. But I suspect that they had been making barrels for T-C back when "T-C" actually WAS T-C.....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Gladesman,

I had three NH frames and bought three 35 Whelen barrels from Midway back when they would order, stock and sell custom calibers and configurations from TC. These were all 24 inch standard contour barrels without sights. I gave one to my brother and have used and loaned my spare when I had friends down hunting. They are accurate and dependable.

I had wanted a 24 inch 25-06 barrel and when I bought one I took a Whelen barrel off and put that on it. It's been about three years since that and I decided to get another frame for that barrel. I have no grudge with S&W, I just couldn't take that new one in the condition it was in. Luckily I found the complete 20 ga. the next day.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mesa
I ...Not sure why MGM makes "T-C" barrels better than T-C does. But I suspect that they had been making barrels for T-C back when "T-C" actually WAS T-C.....

Actually, Mesa, they didn't. The guys who founded MGM were formerly part of Virgin Valley Custom Guns and they've always made custom barrels.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by basdjs
I ...Not sure why MGM makes "T-C" barrels better than T-C does. But I suspect that they had been making barrels for T-C back when "T-C" actually WAS T-C.....

Actually, Mesa, they didn't. The guys who founded MGM were formerly part of Virgin Valley Custom Guns and they've always made custom barrels.

Originally Posted by basdjs

I have only bought two barrels (all that I have) from them. The people at MGM have been very good to deal with and always willing to help if I have a question. If I get another Encore barrel it will be an MGM.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Not sure why MGM makes "T-C" barrels better than T-C does.

MGM is not a mass produced product. That means they care about the satisfaction of their customers.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S&W's takeover of T-C has been good for MGM's business from me as well.

With MGM you get a good barrel in the length/finish/caliber you want, for not that much more than current T/C prices.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.