Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Evening gents,

For over 10 years I’ve desired to harvest an elk. Don’t care from where or with what tool, but I would like your thoughts on the matter.
I’m well versed with bow, rifle, shotgun and handgun hunting. I’ve guided deer, turkey and coyote hunters... now for the plunge into what I consider my dream animal. I have no doubt once I go, I’ll be returning every year going forward.
I know Colorado is probably the easiest route for over the counter tags/license, but I’m willing to either go with a drop camp, semi-guided or guided hunt. I would be happy for a cow for the experience, but in heaven to get a decent to massive bull.

Physically, mentally and financially I can go either route, but looking for the best bang for my buck and not blow cash if I don’t have to.
I’ve been leaning towards Utah or Wyoming, but I would love you experienced elk hunters thoughts.

Feel free to post here or PM me. If you have good recommendations for outfitters/guides, please let me know via message.

Thanks guys for any/all feedback.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I was doing it myself,I would go with Montana, and Colorado. If looking for a guided hunt and for a little better quality animals,I would pick a Wyoming wilderness hunt. The mountain experience is really worth it. I live in Montana, and hunt the wilderness here and in Idaho.It depends on how remote you want it. I spent 5 days in a tipi last week hunting deer. Saw 5 different bulls that I could have shot. Lots of opportunity for elk in Idaho too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just go for the bull tag. Believe me, this happens every time, well 2 years in a row for me at least. I have a bull tag last year and I see 20 cows before I see the bull I want to shoot. This year I had an antlerless tag and be damned if I didn't see 5 nice bulls before punching my tag on a bull calf (mmmmm yummmmmy).

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I like the "any" elk tag if possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just for the statistics, in Montana the average for a hunter to kill an elk is around 17%. Out of that 17%, around 80% of those guys do it almost every year, so that means that 3.4% of the hunters that just get lucky, actually get an elk. Out of that 3.4% the amount of bulls varies from raghorn, to decent to large. Even then, there isn't a very large % of the 3.4% that actually get a decent to big bull. Tough statistics, but it is real. Las Vegas has about the same odds, but the people keep going to Vegas hoping they will be the next big winner. The lights in Vegas are paid for by the people that hope to strike it rich.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've shot 3 6x6 bulls and I consider ANY elk a trophy. It is an epic hunt that you must experience.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can afford it go the classic guided hunt in the wilderness in Wyoming on horseback. The experience and adventure sounds like what you are after. I haven’t scratched that itch yet myself but need to in the next couple of years. After that you can hunt diy public land in Colorado like we do for under $2000 a year since you will have the bug.

I get an elk most years but more cows than bulls - first legal elk for me fills the freezer and I draw for a cow tag then buy otc bull. I waited until I was in my 40’s to hunt elk, my 12 year old grandson gets hi first trip with both tags this week. The sooner you start the more elk hunting you get in before you are too old or infirm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I read in an outdoor magazine awhile back that the unguided success rate for a non resident elk hunter in Montana was 3%, I would do a guided hunt or two before trying it on your own (if you could afford it). Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you want the experience of a backcountry type elk camp, to just get an elk or something in between? Everyone has their own expectations and thats what you need to figure out. You can go on a cow elk hunt, close to what I would call a shoot, for around $2000 in NM. A buddy does this every few years and is happy, gets out for a few days and elk meat in the freezer. Unguided DIY can be great trips, but as posts here tell, more than likely will not result in a filled tag. Some of my best DIY hunting trips have resulted in an unpunched tag come end of the trip. On the other end of the spectrum, if getting a monster bull is a must, plan on ponying up some $$$$ and going to a place like Vermejo Park. Which ever way you decide, be careful, it can turn you into an elk-aholic right quick. Good luck in your quest.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

My first time would you recommend archery or rifle? I would like to bow hunt them and bugling to bring them in close.

Obviously a rifle might up my chances since closing the distance is always an issue.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by addicted
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

My first time would you recommend archery or rifle? I would like to bow hunt them and bugling to bring them in close.

Obviously a rifle might up my chances since closing the distance is always an issue.

If you can bugle elk and shoot a bow well, I would recommend the archery season.

My sons do it every year...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was in the same place 3 years ago. 3 weeks ago, I went on my first elk hunt, a guided wilderness hunt with horses and tent camp. This is what I saved several years for and I enjoyed it immensley. Can't wait to go back one day! Good luck.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow what a bull!!!

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'd think about how often you plan on doing this hunt. I know you say that you'll make it out for a hunt every year once you go for the first time, but you've already waited 10 years for the first one. If there won't be many elk hunts in your future, I'd blow a wad of cash on a fully guided hunt. If you truly see more hunts down the road (and I hope you do), I'd go with a drop camp/semi guided hunt since you won't be able to do your own scouting. Do you have points built up in any states?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by specneeds
If you can afford it go the classic guided hunt in the wilderness in Wyoming on horseback. The experience and adventure sounds like what you are after. I haven’t scratched that itch yet myself but need to in the next couple of years. After that you can hunt diy public land in Colorado like we do for under $2000 a year since you will have the bug.

I get an elk most years but more cows than bulls - first legal elk for me fills the freezer and I draw for a cow tag then buy otc bull. I waited until I was in my 40’s to hunt elk, my 12 year old grandson gets hi first trip with both tags this week. The sooner you start the more elk hunting you get in before you are too old or infirm.

Back in the '70s, I was at a dinner seated next to Henry Kissinger's brother, who had just come back from a horseback elk hunting in Wyoming, exactly as you describe. He and I got to talking about hunting and he made it sound wonderful.

I've always wanted to do that, but I too am finally going to get my feet wet with just a cow elk hunt. A neighbor who is a lifelong NM resident (and frequent hunter throughout the state) and I have signed up for a hunt on Vermejo Ranch, owned by Ted Turner and with tons of elk near Raton. From past posts, I know many here are quite familiar with that place.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I started elk hunting 6 years ago in colorado. I have always put in for a cow elk, my family loves the meat. I have been very fortunate to get an animal ever year. Out of the 6 years I have gone I could have had 3 shots at Bull elk, 2 where in the 1st year and 1 was 3 years ago. of coarse I didn't have a bull tag. This year I did purchase 1 and never saw 1..
The 1 thing I can tell you ever since I have had the chance to hunt colorado I have lost most of my interest in white tail deer hunting here in CT. Part of it maybe picking 100s of ticks off myself.. The other is walking and hunting and not seeing a house or a road for miles in the colorado national forest. It's something I would recommend to any hunter. It's not cheap but worth every dollar I spend on this trip.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a few sets of elk horns one even scores 374 typical that I shot with bow, give me a cow elk any day now the cow elk meat is so much better.ya I was young once and had to always go after those bulls ,now I just want a medium cow elk shot close to the road.

Last edited by pete53; 11/09/17.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by pete53
I have a few sets of elk horns one even scores 374 typical that I shot with bow, give me a cow elk any day now the cow elk meat is so much better.ya I was young once and had to always go after those bulls ,now I just want a medium cow elk shot close to the road.

That's for sure. I let the young guys kill those stinky old tough bulls. They appreciate them more.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a few sets of elk horns one even scores 374 typical that I shot with bow, give me a cow elk any day now the cow elk meat is so much better.ya I was young once and had to always go after those bulls ,now I evjust want a medium cow elk shot close to the road.

That's for sure. I let the young guys kill those stinky old tough bulls. They appreciate them more.

Hunting big bulls never gets old..tell yourself whatever you want

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a few sets of elk horns one even scores 374 typical that I shot with bow, give me a cow elk any day now the cow elk meat is so much better.ya I was young once and had to always go after those bulls ,now I evjust want a medium cow elk shot close to the road.

Hunting big bulls never gets old..tell yourself whatever you want

Wait until you have killed 4 dozen or so elk and you will change your tune. I have killed big bulls,small bulls and cows. Now I only want a nice young, tender, tasty, cow to fill the freezer. As stated , younger guys get the thrill and fulfill their dreams.I have already done that. I would rather help one of those young guys kill one that do one myself now days. You won't appreciate or understand this for several more years yet.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.