Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This is my 2d hunting season with a RAR in 30-06. So far, it's been very accurate. For an economy priced rifle, I've been happy with the way it shoots.

2 problems:
They still haven't solved the magazine problem with the cases sticking and not coming up to the loading position. They just sent me the 3d magazine and while it's better than the previous 2, once in a while one will still stick. I tightened the spring on one of them and it didn't help. Spraying lubricant down inside hasn't helped either.

The other problem is that there's no bolt lock. The bolt can be opened when it's on safe. I've lost a couple rounds in the field when brush or something lifted the bolt handle and it slid back, ejecting the round. For that, I much preferred my Savage with the 3 position safety which locked the bolt down.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don't have a round in the chamber, easy peasy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I agree. I leave my chamber empty unless the gun is in my hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Problem number 2 isn't a big deal for me, as I only load a round if I'm expecting a shot imminently, but problem number 1 is an issue. I've gone through several mags, tried all sorts of modifications, and haven't been able to completely solve the sticking cartridge issue. That's why I just threw my SS RAR 7-08 into an MDT ESS- solves the flexible stock issue as well as the mag issue, all in one fell swoop.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Whether you carry a rifle with a round chambered is a different subject. Chambered or not, you don't want to hike around with the bolt hanging open. It can rattle and it can get crud in it. It needs a way to lock it shut.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ive hunted with more guns that dont lock the bolt than do...never an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On rifles that does not lock the bolt, several times I have found the action open when I pulled the gun from my shoulder.

I have also often found live rounds in the middle of the trail that I am guessing got dumped by the bolt opening?

I believe a three position safety is a fine feature.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am on my second and probably my last RAR and find them hard to take seriously. Maybe a decent truck gun?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have two, and have had no issues. You can of course, buy a more expensive rifle. That more expensive rifle may, or may not be as accurate as the Ruger American.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are the problem rounds that stick very close to the COAL of the magazine? I accidentally loaded some 223 to 2.885 instead of 2.855 COAL (ogive, Hornady tool). The third one stuck, my previously loaded ones had not stuck. Checked COAL from tip to base and figured out my mistake. But sometimes even plastic tipped bullets will vary in COAL (from tip to base) enough to get stuck in the magazine if running close to magazine COAL. I check all the rounds to make sure they all function through the magazine. I do believe that this magazine could stand a redesign and better execution.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I run a 450 bushmaster mag in my 22-250 american. It is a single stack and feeds flawless. Downside is that it only holds 3 rounds, and it sticks below the stock a bit instead of fitting flush. I'm sure it will work with any 308 family cartridges as well.

As far as the -06 cartridges, might try a 300 magnum magazine if they fit. They are single feed also I believe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am on my second and probably my last RAR and find them hard to take seriously. Maybe a decent truck gun?

I've handled a few and really wanted to like the new ones in 7.62x39 (got alot of ammo sitting around from my days watching red dawn) and 450 Bushmaster (I like fat cartridges) but that action is a chunky tubed joke and the stock is even worse. I'm glad they shoot, and I'm glad they are a bridge to get people into the sport without having to drop a ton of money.

But I hate the fact that Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, and Winchester XPR's, Remington 783's and other crappy rifles designed to be sold for $300 with a Scope are the "latest and greatest" the big manufacturers can come up with.

I started with a free to me Savage 110 package rifle that a relative won in the early 90's at a $5 Ducks Unlimited raffle. It sat in a closet and had rust on the bluing when it was given to me Guys would be better off buying old rifles like that off the used rack of their local brick and mortars than the new press-fit plastic pop-guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JWD8310
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I agree. I leave my chamber empty unless the gun is in my hands.

90% of my hunting is done with an empty chamber. So far I have yet to lose an animal because of that practice.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have almost a thousand rounds through my RAR in 22-250. My complaints are the feeding from the magazine is terrible and the trigger is pretty gritty.
May have to try the 450 bushmaster magazine.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The bolt not locking is pretty much the same as every other bolt action rifle without a three position safety nowadays. I don't like it either, I'd much prefer the bolt lock when the safety is on but the lawyers have decided that the public can't be trusted to keep their fingers off the trigger when unloading a rifle, thus the unlocked bolt. Most of your older rifles would lock the bolt with the safety on.

I have a RAR stainless 223 and it's amazingly accurate for the price and size, it's a hoot to shoot. The magazines feed OK, not great but OK. I think it's a great value for the way it shoots, but it's definitely built to a price point and it wouldn't be my choice for my primary hunting rifle. It is a great truck gun as someone mentioned.

Mine also came with a gritty trigger as BWalker mentioned. There are instructions on the internet on how to do a trigger job on one so I took mine apart and worked it. I got a really nice 2.5# trigger with no creep or grit when I was done and it didn't require replacing any parts, just trimming a spring and a little file touchup. I'm no gunsmith so if I can do it anyone can.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have almost a thousand rounds through my RAR in 22-250. My complaints are the feeding from the magazine is terrible and the trigger is pretty gritty.

The Bushmaster mag is on my list too. The only two rifles I own that have feeding issues are both based on the same case; the Ruger American in .22-250 and a Savage in .250 Savage. The case is just short enough and with enough taper to cause the rounds to feed into the bottom rear face of the barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One reason I love Tikka. I have two Remington's that do not lock, my biggest complaint with those guns.
I have found my bolt open, also have tried to shoot, only to have the bolt slap shut, but no bang.
Those that hunt with an empty chamber, good for you.
I prefer to load my rifle.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by BWalker

The Bushmaster mag is on my list too. The only two rifles I own that have feeding issues are both based on the same case; the Ruger American in .22-250 and a Savage in .250 Savage. The case is just short enough and with enough taper to cause the rounds to feed into the bottom rear face of the barrel.

That's exactly what my .22-250 would do but only with the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the magazine and only if fed at other than full speed. If you pushed the bolt forward quickly apparently they didn't have enough time to nose dive. Anyway, I called Ruger CS and explained the problem, they sent me a replacement magazine for free and it feeds the rounds properly no matter if done fast, slow or in between.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Son in law has one, damn accurate.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Whether you carry a rifle with a round chambered is a different subject. Chambered or not, you don't want to hike around with the bolt hanging open. It can rattle and it can get crud in it. It needs a way to lock it shut.

Do you have Velcro on your shoes?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.