Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
How long do you let your bullets "cure" before you size them? Assuming you aren't water dropping them.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I size them right away.

If you aren't heat treating or water dropping them, it just doesn't matter. If you do heat treat them, alloys like WW won't reach full hardness for a couple weeks or so, but can still be sized right away.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A week or so.

They all cure over time, but most will be close to max hardness within that time frame.

Lino you would probably want to size as soon as they are cool enough, if you are looking at easiness and limiting stress on equipment.

Heat treated stuff gets sized after they are totally dry; a week does the trick there too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've cast one day and loaded and shot them the next but they usually sit at least a few days before getting sized and loaded.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometime after they reach room temperature. It could be the same day, it could be a week or a month later. Just depends on how much free time I have and how badly I need them

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Usually, I'll give them at least 24 hours before I size them.
Instead of water dropping, I'll size them, stick them in a toaster oven at 400deg. for an hour or so, then dunk them. Then run them back through the same size die to lube them after they dry.
I'd rather size then heat treat instead of dunking them straight out of the mold, that way I don't have to size them straight away. I've also read that sizing after dunking causes the bullets to lose some hardness, but I've never attempted to prove that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends entirely on how badly I need to shoot them. Sometimes hours, sometimes days, sometimes years. Also, laziness is a factor. I don't sweat the curing aspect. I don't water drop, and I don't heat treat. If I want a hard bullet (so rarely as to almost be laughable) I'll start with a hard alloy.

All my cast rifle shooting (mostly .30 and .22) is done with what many would call soft alloys- 10-13bhn. I judiciously size to as close to .0005" (half a thou) under throat diameter as I can get- to heck with whatever groove diameter is. I rarely (if ever now that I think about it) go over 2000fps- plenty fast for my deer hunting needs. As far as target shooting goes, what does speed have to do with it- accuracy is what counts. When I want to load to high velocity I figure that's why god gave us jacketed bullets.

I think a lot of guys fret over this stuff needlessly. Pay attention to bullet fit and loading techniques. If an alloy swells a tad as it cures, simply pass them through the sizer again before loading them. (But do a before and after shooting test- the results may well surprise you.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Sometime after they reach room temperature. It could be the same day, it could be a week or a month later. Just depends on how much free time I have and how badly I need them

This is how it works here, too. I usually cast a bunch when I fire up the pot. I size and lube as I need to reload.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The reason for the question was, sometimes my wheel weight pistol bullets seem a bit soft if I size right away. It doesn't matter really. I'm just using them to turn powder into noise. Lol

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Of course they're softer right away; you're aware of the age hardening thing obviously. That doesn't mean they stay that soft after sizing...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'm just using them to turn powder into noise. Lol

A man after my own heart.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.