Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently had a back surgery that has offered a good bit of relief... I have been digging out the gun safe and fooling with several rifles and pistols I have not used in years. The Low Wall is probably my all time favorite.

I remember it clover leafing 3 shots at 100 yards. Now with the same loads it puts 2 real close but the 3rd shot always seems to wander an inch or so.... the fore end does not let a dollar bill slide past in the very front now. I thought that it used to but it has been several years... the only thing I remember for sure are the bragging sized groups.

Round file/sand enough wood to free float... bedding under the hanging bar??? Other Low Wall refinement suggestions?

TX
John

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Get in touch with Steve Zihn, here on the fire. szihn is his screen name, I believe.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok.... Thanks

Please don't feed the trolls!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If your low wall is the same as the Miroku made 1885s I am familiar with, the forearm is fastened to a hanger completely independent of the barrel. Relieving the channel to free float it couldn't be simpler, and shouldn't require the services of a gunsmith.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some float the back end of the stock but on mine it has solid contact with the receiver and hanger the barrel is free floated. It shoots great so I won't touch a thing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
Some float the back end of the stock but on mine it has solid contact with the receiver and hanger the barrel is free floated. It shoots great so I won't touch a thing.

Thats goid bevause it the barrel is not touching the forend then floating the back of the forend would not do a thing except make an ugly gap...

The whole idea (or more correctly- theory) is that if the forend is bedded to the barrel, the barrel heat MAY cause enough expansion to move the forend back enough to bind the forend bewteen the action and the barrel so that harmonics /accuracy is affected.

The rear of the forend would have to be pretty tightly bedded to the receiver to cause that and the Brownings just have a flat butt joint between the two. The Ruger number 1 & 3 rifles have that angled forend screw which pulls it up and back toward the action. That is what can cause the fit issue if the barrel is not floated.

Last edited by jk16; 11/19/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the fore end either wobbles or makes contact then relieving the barrel channel and glass bedding to the hanger only is the way to go in my opinion. Like jk16 said contact with the action is not critical on the low wall.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
H
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Tejano

Thats good bevause it the barrel is not touching the forend then floating the back of the forend would not do a thing except make an ugly gap...

The whole idea (or more correctly- theory) is that if the forend is bedded to the barrel, the barrel heat MAY cause enough expansion to move the forend back enough to bind the forend bewteen the action and the barrel so that harmonics /accuracy is affected.

The rear of the forend would have to be pretty tightly bedded to the receiver to cause that and the Brownings just have a flat butt joint between the two. The Ruger number 1 & 3 rifles have that angled forend screw which pulls it up and back toward the action. That is what can cause the fit issue if the barrel is not floated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I remember it clover leafing 3 shots at 100 yards. Now with the same loads it puts 2 real close but the 3rd shot always seems to wander an inch or so....

So ... lemme get this straight. You have a single shot. You are wigging out about the third shot moving an inch in POI.

Sounding like a solution in search of a problem, doesn't it?

Enjoy your very cool rifle!

GE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

163 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 31 invisible), 1,236 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.