Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Know we have discussed before the topic but has anyone come up with a better way yet? Mothballs, Bull snakes, poison, and cats? It is that time of year that the little friends climb into every nook and cranny and pizz and chew apart everything they can get into.

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fresh Cab
Friend with farm equipment told me about it, use in a camper for a few years now and so far no issues.

Last edited by Razz; 10/30/17.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a shooting house, that's built 8 foot off the ground, and I only use t during the couple of weeks that deer season is in. The mice use it the other 50 weeks of the year. I've tried everything......an owl decoy, mothballs, dryer sheets, poison, you name it, I've tried it. Nothing really works. I have to clean it out every year, air it out good, spray the inside down with bleach, and put metal sheeting over the holes they've gnawed......all for a few days use. The local farm store sells something like that "Fresh Cab", and I'm going to give it a try. I've even thought about going to the local animal shelter and adopt me a herd of cats and lock them up in there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Flush it or bury it - don't leave it lying around.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Razz
Fresh Cab
Friend with farm equipment told me about it, use in a camper for a few years now and so far no issues.

Linky no worky

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I rotate between Tomcat All Weather Bait Chunx and Tomcat Mouse and Rat Bromethalin Bait Chunx. Amazon, Tractor Supply, and several places carry them.

One is an anti-coagulant, and the other is a neurotoxin, so you don't have as much trouble with the rodents developing resistance.

They both have a hole running the length of the chunk. I always put a nail through the hole, and fasten the chunk to something. Otherwise, rats, chipmunks, etc. will just carry the chunk off and store it without eating it.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had some Tomcat bait out in barn cabinets for over a year and nothing has touched it that I can tell. What does disappear is D-Con pellets. Mice eat it like candy.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been told the Dcon, in the little box, makes the rodents really thirsty before it kills them. In their search for water the can chew through pex.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

these work well for me in my pole barn......Decon pellets other critters can carry them off & eat them too.....

not so good with livestock around.....

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Moth balls don't work.

My father had a Jeep Cherokee at our vacation house. In the winter he'd use Decon. Then we'd have dead mice as well as mouse schit, piss, and blood everywhere. One time a lady at the hardware store told him to use moth balls and that would keep them out. The following Summer, we opened up the Jeep and now it smelled like Dead mice and moth balls. It ruined the interior. We never could get the smell of moth balls out of it. We used to call it "The Mousemobile".

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago, I had a problem with mice getting into my feed in the barn. I mentioned that I need to get a cat, and a few days later, a box full of them was left in the barn. Took me years to figure out the culprit. Anyway, it worked, as that mama cat, and then later on her kittens, kept the barn mouse free. I have a cat now, but he's like me......old and lazy, so I have mice again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by Razz
Fresh Cab

Linky no worky

Oops....Fresh Cab

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
theres some stuff the co-op sells.

One more bite ?? or something. A corn yellow brick about 1"x4" big.

I've found dead mice a few feet from it.

I worked with a hand from LA. He had problems with swamp rats eating the wires in his boat. Took him a case of it and it worked on those also. THe big squirrel size rats.

just one bite is the brand
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BigDave39355; 11/14/17.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
boric acid mixed with peanut butter

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Get a weasel. smile

We had one follow the mice into the house and the mice disappeared in a week. When I found where they all got into the house I had to make a tough choice- plug the hole to keep out the weasel and hopefully mice or leave it open and only have the weasel to deal with.

Maybe a better choice would be a pet ferret. It is a bit bigger but they will usually return to their cage. Tell your wife it is a rare breed of cat if she is not keen on the idea. Name it Rikki Tikki Tavi.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
pop-goes-the-weasel......

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If it’s outside - I’ve heard some cap fulls of anti-freeze work because they drink it and croak.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have your dog eat one of those poison killed mice and you might think twice about using it. We can' keep barn cats around due to fox, coyote, great horn owls, but the neighbors replenish theirs about every two years. We get the benefit when those visit our barn at night,

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Combination of traps, the Fresh Cab stuff mentioned already and this stuff, RatX:

https://www.ecoclearproducts.com/

Don't like the idea of our whippets "killing" a sick rat that's full of DeCon type stuff. Same goes for the badger I've seen around.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I forgot something called "Shake Away". Similar in scent to the Fresh Cab stuff. I hate mice/rats in my stuff so I try all sorts of solutions.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.