Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Is this the SWFA scope that everyone is talking about? If so, has anyone bought one of the demos they sell? I see them all the time on their sample list page. Is this about the price they sell for on Black Friday? Is the warranty a no questions asked about if you are the original buyer like Leupolds is?

https://samplelist.com/catalog/product/view/id/141071/

Right scope, wrong model. The one you linked to is a mildot with .25MOA adjustments. You want the model with Mil-Quad reticle and .1mil adjustments.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Is this the SWFA scope that everyone is talking about? If so, has anyone bought one of the demos they sell? I see them all the time on their sample list page. Is this about the price they sell for on Black Friday? Is the warranty a no questions asked about if you are the original buyer like Leupolds is?

Right scope, wrong model. The one you linked to is a mildot with .25MOA adjustments. You want the model with Mil-Quad reticle and .1mil adjustments.

I have to ask why mil over moa?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Axtell

Why would you want two different standards of measurements between your reticle and your adjustments? That's just complicating something that should be simple.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Axtell

OK, I get it, scope is way better if mil-mil, moa-moa. Misread that turret and reticle were not of the same scale.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They also have an MOA quad reticle that I think looks an awful lot like a tape measure.
[Linked Image]

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Say it's dim lighting and one is relying upon the 6X's Mil Quad heavy posts for aiming. Any thoughts on a practical deer killing range or such?

Thanks

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Say it's dim lighting and one is relying upon the 6X's Mil Quad heavy posts for aiming. Any thoughts on a practical deer killing range or such?

Thanks

With about 70-80 people so far, on a 12 inch target- around 150-200 yards.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You may try the search function. This fantastic scope has been beat up on this forum over time. For the price, you cannot find a better scope. I have two 6x and one 10x. For my poor eyes, I like the 10x best, but both 6x have killed plenty of stuff. I have shot deer at last light with both the 6x and 10x and both have performed great. I shot a white-tailed doe last January at last light using a 10x on my 260, at a lasered 430 yards. I have killed several deer at last light with a 6x on a .308, also.

As far as the 6x, it is plenty for most hunting. I killed an elk using a 6x-equipped 7 mag at 350 yards last year. I can keep it on a vitals-size target at 530 yards without issue. Like I stated, for me, the 10x seems the better choice for the same money, but that is your choice. There is no wrong selection here. I just wish that the recticle was a bit more bold for my eyes, but that is my problem and not the scope.

I am waiting for Black Friday to put one on a recently re-barreled Rem 700.

Last edited by sbhooper; 10/31/17.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The reticle pictures make it look like the MOA-quad reticle is much finer than the Mil-quad, is that the case when looking through these scopes or is it just SWFA's pictures? I like that center dot with open space around it on the MOA quad, wish the mil-quad was the same way.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Yondering
The reticle pictures make it look like the MOA-quad reticle is much finer than the Mil-quad, is that the case when looking through these scopes or is it just SWFA's pictures? I like that center dot with open space around it on the MOA quad, wish the mil-quad was the same way.

The MOA Quad is not as usable as the MQ. I haven't seen anyone that prefers it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if i were sighting in a scope with mil/mil set up and needed to bring the cross hairs up two inches how many clicks would i go?

Thanks Ed

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you are at 100 yards 1 mil equals 3.6 inches. Me, I just lay the reticle on the bull, see where it falls on the MQ and make that adjustment. Usually a 2 shot zero affair with the SS...

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Thanks

With about 70-80 people so far, on a 12 inch target- around 150-200 yards.

Thanks!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Yondering

The MOA Quad is not as usable as the MQ. I haven't seen anyone that prefers it.

For my 30-06 hunting load a full value wind (90 degrees-10 mph) will produce a 1 moa drift out to ~500 yards. That's why i purchased the 6X moa/moa scope, I use this in conjunction with a range finder.

Also, my target scopes are moa as the adjustments are .25 moa as opposed to .36 on the mil scale. For larger targets the mil/mil is easier to use.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 1234
if i were sighting in a scope with mil/mil set up and needed to bring the cross hairs up two inches how many clicks would i go?

Thanks Ed

The first part is to stop thinking in "inches". The reticle is marked in .5 mil increments, the turrets adjust in .1mil increments. When you fire a round (in this case point of impact is low) place the reticle on the target and read the correction needed like a tape measure. For your example you would see that you need to come up .6 mil. This works at all ranges- no conversion necessary.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I must admit I am curious about these SS scopes but am not a target shooter and don't twist turrets. I do want reliability and repeatability. Which model would you recommend for a "from the house deck" coyote/varmint 223 out to about 250 yards?

My eyes are almost 73 years old. Some body parts seem to be older than that. Right now, I use a Leupold VX2 4-12 on that rifle. Shot a coyote this am at 60 yards but most shots are 200 or 225. Would you go 6x or 10x?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I must admit I am curious about these SS scopes but am not a target shooter and don't twist turrets. I do want reliability and repeatability. Which model would you recommend for a "from the house deck" coyote/varmint 223 out to about 250 yards?

My eyes are almost 73 years old. Some body parts seem to be older than that. Right now, I use a Leupold VX2 4-12 on that rifle. Shot a coyote this am at 60 yards but most shots are 200 or 225. Would you go 6x or 10x?

6x Mil-Quad.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have dual dovetail bases on this Rem 700 now. Any idea what height 30mm dual dovetail rings the SS 6x would require? I'd like to stay as low as possible.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Formidilosus and others for taking the time to explain things. Still don't have it all figured out, but am learning. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge with dumb butts like me. I have always sighted in my scopes and let them be. On most of my rifles, I don't have to make any adjustments from year to year. The little rifle that is my go to deer rifles has remained sighted in now for 7 years. Hopefully as some point, I can find a place to shoot longer distances. Not that I will shoot an animal at longer distances, I just think it would be fun to shoot at longer ranges and would have to be a confidence booster whether shooting a deer at 50 yds or 100 yds. So thanks again!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stomatador
They also have an MOA quad reticle that I think looks an awful lot like a tape measure.
[Linked Image]

with A RETICLE LIKE THIS and say 800yds is plenty far to be shooting, why twist a turret, why not just hold for your value you need ,, if your gonna twist turrets why have all this in the windshield, maybe 10 moa would be plenty and then the heavy crosshairs, even in a mil reticle same question, for a hunting scope, not a lets see how far away i can hit steel scope,

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 48 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,184
Posts18,465,685
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.