Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was happy to find one load that worked but was hoping to find it with 168's or 180's - any concerns on performance of the 150's?

With copper bullets at 30-06 speeds the heavier bullets would be a disadvantage.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, have never encountered any problems with Tipped TSX's expanding. Have seen standard TSX's not expand well a few times, but only in smaller calibers, especially one batch of .25's. But the same .25 bullet in the TTSX version has done very well on everything from pronghorns to cow elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Got it. Just wanted to see if it "penciled" through or not?

I reckon after losing its petals, penciling thru is all it could do.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Yes, I have lots of concerns.

Only to create controversy.

I have concerns too. Lay it out. Like to hear the negative side too.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A 150 TTSX will do just fine. I took a cow elk last year with the factory Barnes load. 1st shot was ~100 yds complete pass through taking out the off-side shoulder. 2nd shot (kill shot) was straight through the sternum at about 50 yards. I recovered the bullet in one of the backstraps and it looked exactly as Barnes advertises. Don't have a scale to weigh it, but I'd wager it retained pretty much all of its weight less the plastic tip.

IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a huge sample, but I've used 4 TTSX to take elk. 150 .308, 2 130 .308, 1 130 .277. All one shot kills and no recovered bullets. I did find a petal in a roast from a .308 130g started at 3000 fps. Glad I didn't break a tooth. I think the petals do break off at high impact speeds but that only helps with tissue damage. Just be careful where you bite in meat showing signs of impact!

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barnes can and do fail. All mono's do, and at a higher rate than other premiums. But I'd not sweat it. They'll still make a hole and kill, even if they fail to open. When they work, they work very well.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few years ago I shot two cow elk with a 120 gr TTSX out of a 7mm-08 at roughly 125-150 yards. One cow hit the ground and slid about 20-25 yards downhill to her final resting place. The other cow, took the first bullet, stood still then took a second bullet and stumbled backwards about 5 yards into a downed tree top.

I'd have zero concerns using your proposed load. Good luck!!!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Got it. Just wanted to see if it "penciled" through or not?

I reckon after losing its petals, penciling thru is all it could do.

Blunt pencils and sharp pencils do make different wounds though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Barnes can and do fail. All mono's do, and at a higher rate than other premiums.

Brad,

What data is this statement based on? My experience has been contrary.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Brad
Barnes can and do fail. All mono's do, and at a higher rate than other premiums.

Brad,

What data is this statement based on? My experience has been contrary.

I have seen Barnes fail enough that I doubt them & won't use them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody’s opinion is a composite of their experiences, unless we’re basing these statements on a large compilation of statistically meaningful data, which is why I asked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the factory .308 loads:

https://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2016/03/VOR-TX-ballistics-for-web.pdf

the 150 gr. mono shoots flatter and greater energy as the 168 grain bullet out to 500 yards.

the 30-06 data was too new to be published in this version, but I'm sure you would find the same as the .308 data, just add 200 fps/ 100 yards.

All bullets "fail". Too many variables to take into account to design anything to work 100% of the time. density of tissues, bones, angles, grass, trees, distance, velocity, twist rates, coreolis affect, whatever. The question is if you are able to recover the dead animal and find the bullet and determine that it didn't do what you expected/ is advertised to do... did it really fail?

OR

If you didn't recover the animal, how can you guarantee that the shooter/ shot placement wasn't the issue?

Those 2 questions can eb argued till the end of time... so forget about them

Just find something you/ the hunter is confident in and roll with it. IF the 150 TTSX shoot that well, they have plenty of juice out to the ranges you are talking about. I see no reason to try anything else. If 180gr. factory corelockt shoots great, then buy a case of that stuff andspend your life killing stuff with it.

I'm taking 130 gr TTSX load in .308 in the field this year for deer and hogs, 5 shot groups as fast as I could run them through my Kimber Adirondack could all be covered by a 1"x.5" square. Good enough for me from a 6#10oz, scoped, slung, fully loaded rifle with a buttstock ammo carrier holding 10 extra rounds. 6# even with 3+1 loaded.

Last edited by Mjduct; 10/25/17.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've had good luck with 180 grain Barnes TTSX out of a 300 Weatherby and I expect 150's moving over 3000 fps to be fine. The other option for the TC was 165 sierra game kings that grouped fine and might be good for elk but wouldn't be my first choice. I prefer broken bones and exit wounds to rapid expansion on elk. Hopefully next weekend we will get to see and then eat the results.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Reloder 28,

A TSX that loses its petals doesn't have a pencil-point, so hardly pencils through--partly because the petals don't necessarily fall of on impact. As my post noted, one of the petals was found a couple inches from the bullet--which was found under the hide on the far side of the elk.

I have seen a few bullets "pencil through" animals over the decades, and believe me, the minimal damage they do isn't anything like what occurred to this elk's lungs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloder 28,

A TSX that loses its petals doesn't have a pencil-point, so hardly pencils through--partly because the petals don't necessarily fall of on impact. As my post noted, one of the petals was found a couple inches from the bullet--which was found under the hide on the far side of the elk.

I have seen a few bullets "pencil through" animals over the decades, and believe me, the minimal damage they do isn't anything like what occurred to this elk's lungs.

I understand. I should not be so critical. I should admit that I have taken one Elk cow with a 140 TTSX, 7 Wby, 3400 fps muzzle velocity. The bullet impressed me having made a straightline penetration from brisket to butt and beyond. It was pretty much a reverse Texas Heart Shot. The critter stumbled for 30 yards and toppled. And, the only pencil thin wound cavity was done by an original TSX.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I saw a lot of failures of the original Barnes X bullets on whitetails from guys in my hunting camp that used them. I got to trail more than a couple of wounded deer because of what I think was their failure to open. Because of that I developed quite a dislike of the X bullets. Fast forward about 20 years and now I'm a confirmed TTSX/LRX slut, they're almost all I use now. I think the plastic tip makes all the difference, it gives something to initiate expansion instead of relying on hydraulic pressure to open the hollow point. I've never seen a failure of a TTSX or a LRX unless you consider shedding a petal a failure, which I don't.

I still won't use the TSX because of the hollow point, but I don't see any reason to use them when the TTSX is out there. I also won't use other hollow point bullets like Bergers or Lapua Scenars on game, I just don't trust any hollow point to open consistently enough for my satisfaction.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have shot lots of elk with 150 gr. BTBT.. I am sure this will work fine.. My pal’s daughter just made a super shot with a .308 and 125 gr. Accubonds..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Crowhunter,

You kinda right, but not really.

The plastic tip doesn't "initiate" expansion as much as the BIG hollow-point under it. This is required so the "stem" of the plastic tip can be seated. Slow-motion video shows the plastic tips don't "drive down" into the bullet, but float out in front of it as the bullet expands, then drift off to the side.

Bergers don't actually have a hollow-point, because the tip is pretty much completely closed. You can't even push a typical sewing needle into it. Instead, the front end collapses backward, because the lead doesn't extend anywhere near the tip, rather than expanding outward. Which is why Bergers penetrate 2-3" before expanding, instead of opening up as soon as they hit hide.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have found the tip from a TTSX just under the hide on the entrance wound.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.