Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Now I really don't like things to move. So I go a step further and seal around the screws with a paint pen or nail polish. This is another layer to keep oil out, and allows at a glance to see if a screw has loosened. ...

Great write up. I need to start doing that to seal the screws. I clean the oil off but have questioned doing it as base and ring screws ALWAYS end up rusted on my rifles. Maybe the rust helps as a locker? wink

I'm a fan of Seekins rings. I especially like them with SWFA's because of the ease of lining the end of their etched symbol up with the white dot on the scope as seen in the pic below. So far it's been a quick and easy way to verify alignment with alternating the tightening of sides to opposite corners keeping even tension.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Can the nail polish work as a replacement for blue loctite on the threads as well?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ok, now for the mil based reticle tutorial......that would be a huge help to a LOT of guys on here that are transitioning from hunting (Plex or BDC) reticles into a mil/milquad reticles and twisting knobs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I go through ALOTTA StartingFluid as a NIB degreaser and as a 'cleaner. Have lonnnngggggggggggg been a fan of Nail Polish,to keep fasteners fastening and as eluded to,it grants a visual reference. Plus,it gets Whiners to start fhuqking WHINING. Laughing!

On a S/A,I'll often go 1913 rail,mainly for ring spacing,but inclination to boot. 'Horn rings have no fhuqking equal and folks are quick to NOT realize,that all erector travel below zero...is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint. An extended 1913 rail is a mandate on itty-bitty Rimfire receivers,when/where they exist(Ruger 77's,being the greatest bane).

No matter the platform,ring spacing is your friend. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happiness is a 75MOA extended 1913 rail,barrel chop,some paint and more than a leetle 'polish on nether regions that tend to wander.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'Horn's have the extry surface area and added fasteners,along with copious inclination(or windage if requisite),to do glass more favors than any other approach.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's Method to the Madness and nothin' goes on by "accident".

I might even shoot some centerfire too.(grin)

Hint.....................

'Mountain Erector/Windshield Flavorings Teaser RINK

The MQ SMOKES the MOA/MOA reticle/erector...but I've got it all and then some.

'Mountain MO-MO Ele/Windtitude RINK

'Horn rings.

1000 Words On 'Horn Rings RINK

Re-'Horn rings.

1000 More Words On 'Horn Rings RINK

Just saying

If only for conversation...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tutorial, I never even thought about degreasing everything before. Might have to invest in some "sinful colors" pink as well wink

Gerry.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tag.

Thanks!

Mike
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for the effort. Very thorough.

Tag.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Formidilosus,

Before mounting the scope in the rings do you check ring alignment with aligment bars to see if the rings are out of aligment?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I go through ALOTTA StartingFluid as a NIB degreaser and as a 'cleaner. Have lonnnngggggggggggg been a fan of Nail Polish,to keep fasteners fastening and as eluded to,it grants a visual reference. Plus,it gets Whiners to start fhuqking WHINING. Laughing!

On a S/A,I'll often go 1913 rail,mainly for ring spacing,but inclination to boot. 'Horn rings have no fhuqking equal and folks are quick to NOT realize,that all erector travel below zero...is 100% fhuqking USELESS. Hint. An extended 1913 rail is a mandate on itty-bitty Rimfire receivers,when/where they exist(Ruger 77's,being the greatest bane).

No matter the platform,ring spacing is your friend. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happiness is a 75MOA extended 1913 rail,barrel chop,some paint and more than a leetle 'polish on nether regions that tend to wander.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

'Horn's have the extry surface area and added fasteners,along with copious inclination(or windage if requisite),to do glass more favors than any other approach.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's Method to the Madness and nothin' goes on by "accident".

I might even shoot some centerfire too.(grin)

Hint.....................

'Mountain Erector/Windshield Flavorings Teaser RINK

The MQ SMOKES the MOA/MOA reticle/erector...but I've got it all and then some.

'Mountain MO-MO Ele/Windtitude RINK

'Horn rings.

1000 Words On 'Horn Rings RINK

Re-'Horn rings.

1000 More Words On 'Horn Rings RINK

Just saying

If only for conversation...............

There really might be some good information in there if I could only find it. It's just hidden so well among all the profanity and made up nonsense words that I can't sift it out. I just apparently don't speak the same language.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good write up. I'll just throw out that by far most of the troubles I've seen from scope mounting have been in the base to receiver area. I mounted a 20 moa rail on a friend's savage 110 300 win mag about a year ago, degreased everything with acetone, blue loctite, and torqued to spec with a torque wrench. It shot loose after about 1000 rounds of 215 berger hybrids. It got put back on with red loctite.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Form - good write up. Especially liked the nail polish idea - hadn't thought of that. I've been guilty of over-tightening ring screws in the past. You know, farmer tight is good for everything 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This is good. Thanks

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
Form - good write up. Especially liked the nail polish idea - hadn't thought of that. I've been guilty of over-tightening ring screws in the past. You know, farmer tight is good for everything 😎

I sorta overtighten new screws to kinda set or stretch the threads, back off, then torque.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Ok, now for the mil based reticle tutorial......that would be a huge help to a LOT of guys on here that are transitioning from hunting (Plex or BDC) reticles into a mil/milquad reticles and twisting knobs.

I'd be interested in that....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's been done... It can be located. Somehow.

Just saw this from the wayback machine.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...57230/all/Turrets_long_range_real_life_t

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thats the way, way back moochine

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Form, thank you very much for investing the time in that tutorial. It's a time intensive undertaking. Your style of delivery really resonates with me. I like a straightforward no-nonsense style. If I were a betting man I'd bet that you have military or police training in your background. As I read what you wrote and I looked at the kind of equipment you used, I evaluated my practices and equipment against yours and I am batting about .000. That led me to questions about what I should do from here. So if you will oblige, tell me what you think.

I have a number of Rugers with their integral base and rings. Some on rimfires. None on heavy recoiling rifles. 7mm-08 is the heaviest I have. I don't own a torque wrench. I tighten bases just short of farmer tight and rings pretty damn tight. I can't do anything about the Ruger integral system but I am curious what you think about it as a system. I shoot the rimfires frequently. The 257 Roberts and the 7MM-07 ultralights see about a box a year. Would you disassemble and blue loctite everything? Hell, I already know the answer to that question. So here's the follow-up. How far off of zero would you expect to be after reassembling the right way? I guess we should ask the same question about the following systems as well.

I also have a few rifles mounted in Leupold single dovetail systems? What's your opinion of those?

I have two rifles mounted in Talley lightweights. What are your opinions on those?

I am assuming that you don't like aluminum Weaver style bases, is that correct?

You mentioned that you backpack hunt. Do you use the same heavy bases, rings and scopes on your backpack rifles that you use in your line of work? Are there any lightweight mounting components that you recommend?

I guess my last question is this. How hard is it to disassemble systems using the loctite and nail polish that you use? Any special tools or stuff required?

Man, this place (the fire) has been a wealth of information lately. It seems like folks are investing a lot of time in educating and informing the masses. I appreciate it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Great writeup, and good visuals on how everything is covered in oil from the factory.

Part of my profession is testing fasteners (meaning screws, bolts, nuts, threaded holes, etc) and I'd like to add one detail if I may: using blue 243 Loctite is better than blue 242, and here's why.
You won't get all the oil out of screw or hole threads with the methods described above, and #243 Loctite still cures correctly in the presence of oil. 242 does not, even though both are "blue loctite". There is no downside to using 243 in scope mounting.

I've taken to using green 680 Loctite under scope bases on bolt actions, mostly as a "belt and suspenders" thing. It has the added advantage of curing in up to .015" air gap, so it'll fill in minor misalignment between the base and receiver if necessary. It does require a little heat and a sharp impact to remove it so it's not appropriate in every situation.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Won't the tip of a soldering iron in little screw heads help when breaking Loctite adhesion?

Last edited by mathman; 11/01/17.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Near my process short of Loctite'ing the cross bolts to the base (on my old Weaver's) and the final application of fingernail polish. Good read.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.