Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Looks really good Longhunter!!! Prolly end up doing same to my Browning, as my are eyes getting worse!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some weathered Model 1895's belonging to Alaskan guide Ed Stevenson

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I meant to write "dremel" tool. Can't edit it now.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Whatdaya think ?

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I don't know. I think it will just take the finnish off and not give it an "aged" look. I would try contacting someone like Doug Turnbull. Guys like him do that type of work all the time.
I wish I could remember the thread. Somebody here posted a pic of a couple of rifles that he had refinished to give them a well used look.

Last edited by IMR4350; 11/03/17.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The best bet is with diluted vinegar and a rag. Take the rag and soak it with vinegar and wipe the bluing with it and try to get the most vinegar where the gun would show the most original wear. Wipe with a wet cloth and see what the effect is. You may have to leave the vinegar on longer to get the desired effect, but don't leave it too long and ruin the looks altogether. When you are finished, be sure to spray with WD-40 and wipe it down completely so there is no continued stripping of the blueing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What ever technique is used I would try it out first on an old junk gun or an extra barrel you have sitting around.
That way you don't have to worry about ruining that nice new 95.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Whatdaya think ?

[Linked Image]

Well, if you want it to look like an early production '95, that would work great. One thing to remember is many of those early production rifles' finish did not last very long in the elements. Not uncommon to see them with no vestiges of metal finish what so ever. Like they were sold in the white and they patina-ed with usage. Like this .30 US Army of mine. Theres just a rare smidgen of finish in protected areas. Ya really gotta look close to see any!

[Linked Image]

I think Shrapnel's recommendation of the vinegar wash might even achieve such a finish as above when applied as he suggested after all the blue is stripped to bare metal. I mean if you wanted a really weathered looking old veteran!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/03/17.

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dirty glove recommendation was only half in just.
A mild abrasive, rubbing compound, embedded in a cheap
leather glove would quickly wear away the finish in the places
a gun normally wears. The vinegar wash would complete the look.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I do the vinegar wash/soak on axe heads, I'm sure it will work. I still think I'd leave it in the bed of the truck for a month before fugging with it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I do the vinegar wash/soak on axe heads, I'm sure it will work. I still think I'd leave it in the bed of the truck for a month before fugging with it.

LOL! Belly crawling about a 100 yards thru the high weeds and gravel after a herd bull in 2015 did a pretty good number on my Browning! Also shutting the gun safe door on the buttstock wasn't kind either!! laugh

Actually i was crawling on hands and knees most of the way. With rifle dragging along

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/04/17.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wonder how rubbing the edges and usual carry points with one of those lead remover cloths would work? Guess it depends on the look you're trying to achieve. I like a good amount of blue with silvered edges and carry points. If you want a "rode hard and put away wet" look, chemical assistance might be required. I've read of people using a browning solution to etch the metal & turn the blue to a plum brown.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Anyone have any advice on how to make my bright new Browning model 1895 Winchester look old. Don't tell me to use it for years and let it age natural because at 81 years old I don't have the time to do that...

At 74 I understand about not having enough time to do it the right way, and about playing devil's advocate. But it just seems wrong to turn anything into something it is not, to intentionally create a fake, a phony, from a replica. What possible joy can there be in fooling others into believing the wear was honestly hard earned?

No. Instead it would be more honest to simply trade it towards an authentic original.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
At 74 I understand about not having enough time to do it the right way, and about playing devil's advocate. But it just seems wrong to turn anything into something it is not, to intentionally create a fake, a phony, from a replica. What possible joy can there be in fooling others into believing the wear was honestly hard earned?

No. Instead it would be more honest to simply trade it towards an authentic original.

I'm not trying to fool anyone, this is for my own pleasure. I have an original 1895 and hunted with it last year.

At 74 you're getting there but in a few years you'll find out that something happens to you when your hit the 80 year mark. You realize how short your time is and your thinking changes..... You start thinking, "this could be my last year to hunt". ... "this could be my last day PERIOD" So you don't put things off like you normally do because you realize you may not have another chance. You get selfish, you start doing what ever makes YOU happy. Other peoples opinions don't matter as much as they use to....You do what you want and to hell with what others think about it. because the end of the trail could be just around the corner.

I want to age this rifle to please ME...not to fool anyone. It's going to make ME happy when I'm sitting in the woods looking down at it across my knees.

A lot of people live to be 80 but damn few make it to 90 so when you're in your 80's do what makes you happy and you'll die a happier man. grin

Here's last year when I was 80 with my original 1895 0-6 made in 1912

I told my cardiologist the last time I saw him that I felt like a tire with a slow leak....he thought that was a pretty good description of getting old.

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Nice photo. I hope I can still make it out there when I'm 80.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It looks a little more used now, I think the wood is next with an oil finish.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice....used but not abused

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yeah!!! Take care of that wood! Then you'll have about 95% of what you're looking for!!!

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm considering a set for my browning. Make it look a bit more vintage. Give it the feel! . We'll see how bad this year's property taxes leave me! frown

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/contents/en-us/d18.html

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.