Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've considered re-barreling a Rem722 to 6.5 Creedmoor but w/ the factory ammo being so good I was thinking last night about just buying one and playing w/it for a while. What's some of the entry level guns that don't cost an arm and a leg. No threaded barrel, no can, no short barrels. powdr

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The cheapest would be the Savage Axis out the door for $340 or maybe a little less.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruling out theft, I'd say one of the Howas from Whittakers, if they've got them in stock. After that, maybe a RAR.

I'd wait for the Howa.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by powdr
I've considered re-barreling a Rem722 to 6.5 Creedmoor but w/ the factory ammo being so good I was thinking last night about just buying one and playing w/it for a while. What's some of the entry level guns that don't cost an arm and a leg. No threaded barrel, no can, no short barrels. powdr

Winchester XPR
Browning AB3
Ruger American
Various Savage models
Howa Gameking
Weatherby Vanguard
TC Venture
Mossberg Patriot
Remington 700 SPS

I recently checked out all of these looking for a Creedmoor truck gun. The most impressive to my eye, in order:

Winchester XPR
Browning AB3
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa Gameking

I’d be happy with any of these four, but am leaning toward the Winchester, which just felt better at my shoulder than the rest.

You can grab a Tikka T3X for around $200.00 more than the best of the above. I thought about it, but that Winchester XPR seems to be a real shooter so I’ll spend the difference on better glass.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 11/03/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'd choose the Ruger American over the Howa, Weatherby, or Winchester in my experience. Not sure about the Browning.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
No Howa's for me! powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage 11 DOA Hunter package with a 3-9x40 Bushnell scope and mounts from CDNN, $349.99 after the $100 rebate.

Howa 1500 Lightening from Whittaker's, $330.

Ruger American Rifle - Predator from lots of places, usually between $350 and $400.

I have the Howa 1500 and the RAR-Predator and don't like the stocks on either one, so I sunk more $$ into them for replacement stocks. I was able to buy a Weatherby Vanguard2 Griptonite stock for the Howa 1500 for under $100 and then spent about $200 for a Boyds Heritage style laminated stock for the RAR-P.

Please note that I'm really picky about stock fit, so a stock that I strongly dislike, like the Hogue style that typically comes on the Howa 1500s, may not be objectionable to you.

EDIT: I was thinking about buying a Winchester XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor, but after handling one, I decided that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 11/03/17. Reason: Added what I'd forgotten to post originally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering
I'd choose the Ruger American over the Howa, Weatherby, or Winchester in my experience. Not sure about the Browning.

I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands, while the Winchester, Browning and Bee stocks were rigid and much stronger feeling. They all fit me better, too. I didn’t like the Howa stock all that much, but it wasn’t flimsy.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 11/03/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

If you're looking for the cheap way out, I don't think you'll beat this. From what I understand, it has a Boyds Classic hardwood stock on it.

After rebate you're talking $249 with a 3X9 Weaver Kaspa scope with ballistic recticle.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sava...ade-x-Scope-Package/2287599.uts?slotId=3

******* EDIT to say Cabela's had the 6.5 Creedmoor in there this morning when I looked at it, now it's gone.

Last edited by wink_man; 11/03/17.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6.5 Creedmoor Howa Lightning that I bought at Whitakers, on sale for less than $300, is the most accurate out of the box rifle I think I've ever had. They are heavy, and the stock is way too chunky, but they are head and shoulders ahead of the Ruger American and the Savage Axis.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ruger American Predator. I have seen some incredible groups being fired with them.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ought to wait for Black Friday and look into it then. The Savage 11 DOA goes on sale and then add the $100. rebate might be the way to go.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for all of the ideas fellas. I won't buy a Howa partly because of the stock but mainly just don't like their rifles. When is Black Friday? I've got a 280 commercial Mauser custom I'm fixing to put up for sale and then I think I'll look at the Ruger and Vanguard. Thanks a bunch guys, powdr

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have been looking at one of these at Buds, Savage Axis II XP accutrigger 6.5 Creedmoor with scope $391 shipped to your FFL.

Never thought I would want one BUT sighted one in for a hunting buddy and it was very accurate right out of the box! I remember MuleDeer saying a few years ago he had found them to be accurate inexpensive guns.

Yes they are a little ugly and cheap looking but if you want cheap n accurate they will do the job.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...5236/Savage+AXIS+IIXP+6.5+CREED+BUSHNELL

Ted
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Have the wife buy it for you with her money for your birthday

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Buy a 260.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No Howa's for me! powdr

How come Powdr?

I'm loving the ones I have...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Saw a Savage Axis in 6.5 Creed the other night at Wally World...

right around the $300 range.. with a scope on top, you could take off and give to
the kids for their 10/22...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
No Howa's for me! powdr

How come Powdr?

I'm loving the ones I have...

I'm curious as well. They are an "honest", quality rifle with no plastic or MIMed action parts (except the follower, which is easily replaced), and most of the folks that bombed Pearl Harbor and raped Nanking are dead.

That said, it seems to be turning into a mostly Ruger operation around here; 77s and one Number 1. I can't seem to get interested in cheap rifles, just good ones at bargain prices, like the Number 1V I got from Darrik for $879 (last Whittaker plug, I swear!).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Granddaughter took mine, she got her’s for free. I’ve bought two, but only have one. I’m trying to figure that out.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
powdr,

Since you just want to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor to see if you like it, I'd go with the Ruger American Predator. I've owned several Creedmoors, and due to my job played with a couple of others. The most accurate of the bunch has been the RAR Predator I have right now, and at $350 was also the cheapest. I threw together a handload with 140-grain Berger VLD's and the standard "accuracy" powder charge of 41.5 grains of H4350, and it's very first group at 100 yards had all 5 shots touching. The only modification I made afterward was to the trigger spring, so I could get the pull under 3 pounds, which took about 20 minutes. Have heard similar stories from others who bought 6.5 Creedmoor Predatots.

Now, of course others are going to advise you to buy something "classier," but you want to try a Creedmoor, not marry one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It won’t be confused for classy, but the RAR (on left) does shoot well! I believe you said no threaded barrel, which the RAR has though.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The non-cataloged run of cerakoted standard weight RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor is starting to hit the market at around $450, Ruger's stock #16942.

I've owned 3 RAR-Ps in 6.5 Creedmoor and all have been good shooters. My V2 that is bedded in a McM Hunter is an all-around better fitting package for me, but it cost 3x has much as a NIB RAR-P and it will never be 3x as accurate as the RAR-Ps typically are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Howa for me. Head and shoulders above the RAR in terms of build quality. And dozens of Howas I’ve shot or been around have all been 0.75moa or thereabouts out of the box (3 shot groups).

The Hogue stock is a little chunky yes, you could toss it for a Boyd’s and whittle to your desired shape, or go with any number of options designed for the Vanguard as a replacement. Personally I don’t find the Hogue that bad anyway.

Yes the actions are a little chunky re weight; see above comment re build quality. They are made of steel rather than having a heap of plastic parts.

Happy to be pulled up if I have this bit wrong but I am pretty sure the Howa 1500 is a copy of the Sako L579 action and a well executed one at that.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have had the RAR Predator in 6.5 CM. It was a great shooting Gun no doubt. I do like my heavy barrel Howa in 6.5 CM a lot more though. It has been more accurate, but only by a tiny bit. The Howa just feels better made. Although I’m not fond of the hogue stock the one that came on my Howa multicam is suprisingly stiff, and feels better than the RAR stock. But I’ve seen a lot of great groups posted by cheaper 6.5 CM’s, and apparently it’s rare to get any of them that don’t shoot good.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, I just don't like the Howas. It's just one of those personal quirks. Their heavy, I hate the stock, and I detest the bolt shroud they use. Looks like a veterinarian dart gun. Looks like I'll just get a Ruger, buy a box of shells and take her for a test drive. If I don't find love I'll divorce her. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guys, I just don't like the Howas. It's just one of those personal quirks. Their heavy, I hate the stock, and I detest the bolt shroud they use. Looks like a veterinarian dart gun. Looks like I'll just get a Ruger, buy a box of shells and take her for a test drive. If I don't find love I'll divorce her. powdr

Me too. And for the cheap price, I doubt any of them will outshoot the RAR Predator. That's the one in 6.5 CM I've decided on. I'm super impressed so far with my RAR in 7.62 X 39. Shoots easily under an inch at 100 yards with the cheap Russian HP ammo

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's okay. You're allowed a quirk or two so long as you don't make a habit of it. I'm currently without any Howas or Howa-like objects myself, though not because I don't like them. Good luck with your Ruger. I was thinking about one of those chambered for the Other Creedmoor myself for a bit.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's a Remington take off barrel on ebay as we speak, you could buy that, screw it on, and if you didn't like it take it off, sell it, and put your old barrel back on the 722. I can't even imagine someone not liking the creedmoor.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I highly recommend that you consider buying the Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deer Season XP factory ammo, both accurate and inexpensive, currently the least expensive 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo that I've seen as it is priced at $18.77 at our local Wal-Marts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
powdr,

Since you just want to play with a 6.5 Creedmoor to see if you like it, I'd go with the Ruger American Predator. I've owned several Creedmoors, and due to my job played with a couple of others. The most accurate of the bunch has been the RAR Predator I have right now, and at $350 was also the cheapest. I threw together a handload with 140-grain Berger VLD's and the standard "accuracy" powder charge of 41.5 grains of H4350, and it's very first group at 100 yards had all 5 shots touching. The only modification I made afterward was to the trigger spring, so I could get the pull under 3 pounds, which took about 20 minutes. Have heard similar stories from others who bought 6.5 Creedmoor Predatots.

Now, of course others are going to advise you to buy something "classier," but you want to try a Creedmoor, not marry one.

+1 on the RAR Predator

My first three shot group that I ran through my RAR Predator went .278" using the 140gr Amax and 42.4 grains of H4350. Some folks on the 6.5 Creedmoor forum was using this load with success in their Predators.

It shoots the 130gr VLD's into 1/2" at 200yds.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, my Wally had three different factory loads for 6.5; and have never carried chow for my .260.

Closest local gun store that has .260 and their cheapest is near twice the price of the Winchester 125s at Wally.

It's getting close to joining the most popular big game calibers club. cool

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
MBadger, that is exactly what I was thinking last night after I posted. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dick's Sporting Goods has the T/C Compass at $179 after $75 Mfg. Rebate right now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Dick's Sporting Goods has the T/C Compass at $179 after $75 Mfg. Rebate right now.

Damn that's cheap and mighty tempting! I've read that those rifles shoot well. Unfortunately we don't have a Dick's here. I'd have to drive to either Dallas or Lubbock.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That's a great deal, the Compass looks like a good rifle to me. I've been watching them on Gunbroker, but with shipping and and FFL transfer I think you'll be doing well to come in much below $250 after the rebate. $179 + tax here (8% on the non-rebate price) comes out at $199.32 if bought locally. I'll go see what my local Dick's has access to tomorrow. They've been off my radar since they dropped AR type rifles, but I'll make an exception... heh

I hope aftermarket stocks come along...

Thanks for the information!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another vote for the Ruger American Predator. Best of the budget rifles.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by seattlesetters

I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands, while the Winchester, Browning and Bee stocks were rigid and much stronger feeling. They all fit me better, too. I didn’t like the Howa stock all that much, but it wasn’t flimsy.

There's no doubt the RAR stock is more flexible in the forend, and benefits from some extra free float work. That flexibility doesn't seem to matter though; it's a more advanced action design that doesn't rely on a stiff stock for accuracy.

My results with the RAR Predator in 6.5 C echo what MD and TN deer hunter posted above. I recommend them based on how they shoot, not how the stock feels.

I did add a cheek piece to mine though; even with low rings the RAR stock cheek piece is too low, although the angle is right.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Every part on the Americans are made here.

Given the choice, I'd rather support American workers.

They are light ,accurate and they work.

They are worth every cent they cost. Both in terms of how they perform and what they put back into the US economy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hmm, we still hate the looks of the howa, but we'll support Ruger who stabbed us in the back on gun control...( yeah, I thought I was over it when I bought the LCP... evidently not. LOL)

Looks, do nothing much for me with guns. They are a tool. I want the best tool. If its a savage with a barrel nut and accu trigger I'm ok...

Guns that I love to look at, I can't force myself to hunt... have an engraved 94 with great wood since the late 70s, it sits in the safe never fired..... what a waste...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rem 700 ADL, Heavy Barrel 24", Xmark Pro trigger (no accu-trigger nonsense), decent stock $479. Lot of rifle under $500.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There's no doubt the RAR stock is more flexible in the forend, and benefits from some extra free float work. That flexibility doesn't seem to matter though; it's a more advanced action design that doesn't rely on a stiff stock for accuracy.

My results with the RAR Predator in 6.5 C echo what MD and TN deer hunter posted above. I recommend them based on how they shoot, not how the stock feels.

I did add a cheek piece to mine though; even with low rings the RAR stock cheek piece is too low, although the angle is right.

I know they shoot. I’m pretty sure all the rifles mentioned here shoot well. This seems to be the trend we’re seeing with these less-expensive rifles manufactured with modern techniques and machinery.

I have heard complaints that the RAR stock doesn’t work well with a bi-pod due to the flimsiness. No personal experience, though.

Have you tried a bi-pod on yours? Would love some feedback as whichever I end up with is likely to get a bi-pod as an accessory.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I saw this and said wow, that’s a cheap centerfire. I have extra scopes laying around so I decided to give one a look. I had my mind set on a 22-250 if they didn’t have a 6.5. They had neither, just .308 and .30-06. I asked to handle one anyway as I had not previously. There no way I want one at this price after rebate. Way too unbalanced imo.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by centershot
Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rem 700 ADL, Heavy Barrel 24", Xmark Pro trigger (no accu-trigger nonsense), decent stock $479. Lot of rifle under $500.

I believe they have the 700 SPS stainless for $429 as well.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My son picked up one of those Compass' in 243. He was looking for a cheap truck/ride on a snowmobile coyote gun and that is what he got. That said, he slapped an older Leupold 3x9 and fed it some Federal Blue Box 100 grainers. It shoots well and I think it will do what he wants. He also wanted a 22-250 or a Creed but all they had was a 243. How well it stands up or last remains to be seen.

Last edited by JDK; 11/06/17.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I know they shoot. I’m pretty sure all the rifles mentioned here shoot well. This seems to be the trend we’re seeing with these less-expensive rifles manufactured with modern techniques and machinery.

I have heard complaints that the RAR stock doesn’t work well with a bi-pod due to the flimsiness. No personal experience, though.

Have you tried a bi-pod on yours? Would love some feedback as whichever I end up with is likely to get a bi-pod as an accessory.

Yes, I shoot mine off a bipod frequently, and almost never use a front bag. It's fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Yonderling. It really helps getting that report from someone who actually has meaningful experience.

The RAR Predator just jumped back into my top three candidates for a new 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used several RAR's with bipods, no problem. The most recent stocks are much stiffer than the originals, but even the early stocks worked fine with bipods, as long as the new owner made sure the forend was really free-floated, which sometimes meant 2 minutes work with a round rasp.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
The cheapest would be the Savage Axis out the door for $340 or maybe a little less.

Except Savage 110 (series) and the Ruger American are so darrn ugly. Give me a Ruger 77 any time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Yep, my Wally had three different factory loads for 6.5; and have never carried chow for my .260.

Closest local gun store that has .260 and their cheapest is near twice the price of the Winchester 125s at Wally.

It's getting close to joining the most popular big game calibers club. cool

You need to catch up..

It's already there.

My local Walmart's ammo cabinet.is liaded to the gills..
Granted this is deer country (no Elk)

12 flavors of 06
10 of .270
9 loads in .308
8 in 30-30
5 of 6.5 Creed (Including Win loads at $18 per box)
5 of.243

A couple loads each in 7mm rem mag and .300 Win mag.

No 6mm rem , 280, 7-08..ONE 25-06 load

.308 thru 243 seems to sell well.The -06 sells ok the mags and other stuff pretty slow.

The Creedmoor seems to sell well..And the local WM store has never even stocked a rifle chambered in it.

Last edited by jk16; 11/07/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I saw this and said wow, that’s a cheap centerfire. I have extra scopes laying around so I decided to give one a look. I had my mind set on a 22-250 if they didn’t have a 6.5. They had neither, just .308 and .30-06. I asked to handle one anyway as I had not previously. There no way I want one at this price after rebate. Way too unbalanced imo.

The 308 has a 20" barrel and felt really good to me. I'm temped, waiting for black friday to see what they come down to.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only thing done to mine was make sure it was floated and installed a Timney set at 1.5#.

I have no problem with the stock it is the newer version with the honeycomb design.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I highly recommend that you consider buying the Winchester/Olin 125 grain Deer Season XP factory ammo, both accurate and inexpensive, currently the least expensive 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo that I've seen as it is priced at $18.77 at our local Wal-Marts.

I’ve talked with quite a few people who have used this Winchester Deer Season XP ammo on muleys, whitetail and Pronghorn and are raving about outstanding accuracy and spectacular performance, with a very high percentage of DRTs. Some are describing real lightning bolt, Hammer of Thor type of kills.

I’ll be trying some, for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have spent a couple of weeks playing around with a T/C Compass in 6.5 CM. For the money, especially with the rebates out there, it is a screaming deal. My example shoots factory 143gr ELD-X ammo into sub-inch groups at 200 yards. It comes with a threaded 5R rifled barrel and balances well. Shot a muley with it yesterday morning- 1 shot at 150 yards without drama. For an entry-level rifle, I came away very impressed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Picked up my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. My dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/09/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot

The 308 has a 20" barrel and felt really good to me. I'm temped, waiting for black friday to see what they come down to.

I've not hit the local Dick's SG in Twin, but sounds like I need to take a look at their inventory-just for educational purposes, of course. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really wanted to like the RAR best, but you can easily bend the stock with your hands,

I can easily bend the stock on my $600 McMillans. Don't worry about the Ruger stock. Most traditional rifles have a recoil lug that sits inside a mortise in the stock. Having a good fit and a stiff stock is key to accuracy. The Ruger Americans don't even have a recoil lug. There are 2 metal V blocks that the action screws go through providing a secure platform. The stiffness of those stocks has absolutely nothing to do with accuracy. The stocks only purpose is to give you something to hold onto.

I paid $389 OTD for both my 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor Predators. They both are the most accurate rifles in my safe. The 6.5 shoots 1/2 MOA boringly with 143 gr ELD-X factory loads and my handloads using the same bullet.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The stock can absolutely affect accuracy when shooting a RAR.

Your comment about the McMillan's is laughable.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The RAR stock is not the stiffest, but seems to be fine where it counts. If a better stock will make it shoot better, then it will shoot REALLY well!

How much do you think a better stock will improve this one? 140 ELD-Ms and RL17.

[Linked Image]

Seems reasonably repeatable too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even factory stuff! (Hornady 140 ELD-M)
[Linked Image]

Or hunting bullets (140 Partition with RL16 @2770)
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wow!

all these great results;

I'm trying to figure out

• only great shooters buy the predator in 6.5C
  • it's a very accurate rifle as a rule, not just occasionally
  • it is a very accurate cartridge (dimensions, factory loads, bullets used)
  • less recoil makes for more accurate shooting

all of these? none of these? some of these?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’d go with your last three items.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I bought 2 of the RH RAR 6.5 Creedmoor rifles cause they were not made in LH. One for me and one for my son both were extremely accurate. Then Ruger made a LH 6.5 CM in there American Predator it also shoots great. Not in love with the stock but it shoots so great tend to overlook that!

First one I bought shot a 5 shot group .442" at 100 yards with shots 15 to 20 out of factory ammo! Kinda convinced me!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prm

How much do you think a better stock will improve this one?

Shoot it from field positions and you'll find out.

Cute groups though.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by prm

How much do you think a better stock will improve this one?

Shoot it from field positions and you'll find out.

Cute groups though.

Dave

I hold it on a bench exactly as I’d hold it in the field. But nice try.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
By golly I stand corrected.

You obviously know your stuff.

Dave

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
prm,

The very first group I shot with my 6.5 Creedmoor Predator looked like your first group--but was 5 shots, not 3. Unfortunately, I haven't been quite able to duplicate it--but usually come close.

One good "technique" with RAR's is to buy a strap-on adjustable cheekpiece. In fact this is a good idea with a lot of rifles. When the RAR first came out, Ruger offered a free Tac-Ops strap-on adjustable rest, but RAR's started selling so well, so quickly, the free offer disappeared. However, I have several of 'em (not just Ruger labeled), and they work well. The price is usually around 35-40 bucks and worth it, especially for an RAR (or any other rifle) with the scope mounted higher than many shooters are used to.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think I'll just re-barrel my trusty 308 Win, Rem 700 to the 6.5 Creed next year. My supply of .30 cal match bullets is dwindling, and my current Krieger barrel is aging gracefully as usual.

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking some flutes in the barrel this time, to cut the muzzle heaviness a bit. Besides, they look cool.

Guy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Purchased the RAR from Cabella's, not the threaded Predator with a heavier barrel, just the standard RAR. Came as a package deal with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 scope cost right at $440. Haven't fired factory ammo through it, I started reloading for it the night I picked it up. 42 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR prints 120 AMAX's in <1/2" at 100 yards, 39 grains of H414 prints 140 grain Nosler HPBT in one ragged hole and IMR 4064 is showing promise with the 123 grain Nosler HPBT. I found the AMAX's on the shelf at Murdoch's by accident and I can get the Nosler's for $19/box at Sportsman's currently. For being a short barrel rifle (22") I can push 2900+ with 120s, 2800+ with 130s, and 2700+ with 140s all pretty easily.

Never had a plastic stock rifle shoot this well, ever. I did drop a 1.5# lead ingot in the butt stock and foamed it back up, not that it kicks hard but just to tame the jump some. Plan to put a Boyd's on it eventually, maybe Mrs. Claus will be good to me this year. All in all I'm very impressed with the RAR. The SA, the three lug bolt, 70 degree bolt throw, all make for a fast compact little rifle. I also have an RAR in 243 which has been my under the seat truck gun for the last year, for coyotes and such. I plan to get the 6mm CM in the RAR Predator eventually, not that I need it already having a 243, but just because I'm a Rifle Looney and that's how we do.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by montanabadger
There's a Remington take off barrel on ebay as we speak, you could buy that, screw it on, and if you didn't like it take it off, sell it, and put your old barrel back on the 722. I can't even imagine someone not liking the creedmoor.

they liked that barrel, almost as much as a cheap rifle!

Sycamore

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, I noticed that Sycamore. powdr

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by montanabadger

they liked that barrel, almost as much as a cheap rifle!

Sycamore

Yeah, I didn't think it would go that high.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In case anyone is interested, Whittaker's has a couple of the non-cataloged Cerakoted standard contour/weight barrel RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor on their site. Ruger's part #16942.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sportsmans warehouse, at least in Flagstaff, dropped the Kuiu Howa from $499 to $399 yesterday. that has the 20" bbl and grey cerakote.

Sycamore

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sportsmans warehouse, at least in Flagstaff, dropped the Kuiu Howa from $499 to $399 yesterday. that has the 20" bbl and grey cerakote.

Sycamore

I saw that at my local Sportsmens this morning as well. Pretty tempting, though the 20 inch tube doesn't do anything for me-I prefer a 22 inch barrel.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
In case anyone is interested, Whittaker's has a couple of the non-cataloged Cerakoted standard contour/weight barrel RARs in 6.5 Creedmoor on their site. Ruger's part #16942.

$420 and looks like a lizard.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prm
The RAR stock is not the stiffest, but seems to be fine where it counts. If a better stock will make it shoot better, then it will shoot REALLY well!

How much do you think a better stock will improve this one? 140 ELD-Ms and RL17.

[Linked Image]

Seems reasonably repeatable too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even factory stuff! (Hornady 140 ELD-M)
[Linked Image]

Or hunting bullets (140 Partition with RL16 @2770)
[Linked Image]

Trying to improve that is a waste of time to me. Very nice!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

$420 and looks like a lizard.

When I saw it, I thought that I might need to tie a small piece of orange or pink surveyors' tape to it so that it would be easier to find if I ever had occasion to set it down in dry grass or among corn stalks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Picked up my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. My dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

Finally got to sight in my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Cm today and shoot some groups. I'm EXTREMELY pleased!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First group is with the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo with the 143 grain ELD-X bullet @ 2700 fps

Second group is with the Hornady Whitetail Ammo with the 129 grain Interlock bullet at 2850 fps.

I also shot a group with the Winchester Deer Season XP Factory Ammo with a 125 gr bullet that looks like a big ass Ballistic Tip 5 shots @ 100 yards went about 1.5" it's cheap enough I'll probably use it for a hog load at the Ranch.
All three loads shot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. That never happens for me!!!

And I think I could have shot much better if the RUGER American trigger didn't suck so bad! How hard are they to ajust or lighten the pull???
Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/14/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

And I think I could have shot much better if the RUGER American trigger didn't suck so bad! How hard are they to ajust or lighten the pull???
Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

They are not hard to improve, if you're handy with that sort of thing. If you're not, well, just buy a Timney. smile

I tweaked my RAR trigger and ended up with a very crisp 2 lb pull with no unnecessary overtravel. That involved collapsing a couple coils on the trigger spring, polishing the sear surfaces (with a stone, not a Dremel or buffing wheel!), and IIRC adding an overtravel adjustment screw. Although that may have been a sear engagement adjustment screw, I'd have to take it apart to look now, it's been a couple years. It was less than an hours work from start to finish anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
It won’t be confused for classy, but the RAR (on left) does shoot well! I believe you said no threaded barrel, which the RAR has though.

[Linked Image]

Details on the RAR paint job, looks nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Howa 1500 is up to $459 at Sportsmans Warehouse now. Was $379 for a long time, and went to $329 for a week before Christmas, can't remember which week. I know the OP said he didn't like Howa, just passing on the update.

Sycamore

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got my T3X for $559. If I had to go with less expense than that, I would buy a Ruger American Rifle.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Winchester XPR
Browning AB3
Ruger American
Various Savage models
Howa Gameking
Weatherby Vanguard
TC Venture
Mossberg Patriot
Remington 700 SPS

I recently checked out all of these looking for a Creedmoor truck gun. The most impressive to my eye, in order:

Winchester XPR
Browning AB3
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa Gameking

I’d be happy with any of these four, but am leaning toward the Winchester, which just felt better at my shoulder than the rest.

You can grab a Tikka T3X for around $200.00 more than the best of the above. I thought about it, but that Winchester XPR seems to be a real shooter so I’ll spend the difference on better glass.

Please let us know how you like the XPR. I’ve heard some real polar opposite reviews of this rifle.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I got my T3X for $559. If I had to go with less expense than that, I would buy a Ruger American Rifle.

thats a screaming deal on the Tikka. I don't imagine too many would buy the Howa if they could get the Tikka for $100 more.

Sycamore

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

thats a screaming deal on the Tikka. I don't imagine too many would buy the Howa if they could get the Tikka for $100 more.

Sycamore

Ordered it from Whittaker Guns in December.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.