Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So, moved into a community with 6 or 7 stocked lakes and ponds. Bass fishing is mediocre but everyone raves about how big the cat fish are. I've never deliberately fished for cat fish, but have caught a few over the years on bass baits. Once I caught a nice eater on night crawlers when I was actually hook and bobber fishing for bigger blue gill.

These are channel cats and blues.

What's a good setup? hook and bobber? Bottom fishing? People here keep touting hot dog for bait.

The bottoms are pretty flat. Depth around 20 feet at the middle with steep sloping rocky gravel sides. Murky water with a ton of small bluegill near the banks.

I've seen some dead cats that look to be in the 10 pound range.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chicken livers on a big treble hook. Rooster livers are best as they are tougher but are hard to find..

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Off the bottom, or under a bobber?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it off the bottom with a light weight. Cats are real sensitive to any "extra" pressure when biting. Liver is heavy enough to let you cast well. Just enough weight to allow you to tighten the line against the weight and not the bait. Let them pick it up and move with it before trying to set the hook. Used to fish over rip rap rock on a roadside. Used a float there but the normal ones have too much pressure when pulled on. Used a turkey quill float, which has almost zero resistance. Just a small split shot to hold the float up is all that is needed. Finally, you will be bugged to death with bream/bluegill. They like livers too! Have fun and let us know what you catch. Cats are pulling machines when hooked and a ball to fight. And great to eat when you get them in. You really need my 92 year old mother for that though and that is a different story!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Couple summers ago, I fought a 33" blue from my kayak while fishing a black plastic craw for bass. It was a fight!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Dan......follow this link and do some research. Some very good advice on several different forums.

https://www.catfish1.com/

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I love catching catfish. They pull like a mule and they taste good - what's not to like? I fish for them along deep rocky banks with a wood slip bobber 5-6 ft. deep in the spring and fall. They don't seem to have any trouble yanking the float under. Other than not being frequently hung on the rocks, I like using a float because if it's just quivering or moving in short rapid jerks it's a small sunfish of some sort and you can move it before the little fish eat all your bait. I like to bait with cheap frozen raw shrimp. Easy to keep in the freezer, take what you want out of the bag and put it in some sort of plastic carton - when you return home put what's left back in the freezer for the next trip. The channels and blues won't care if it's "spoiled". Some around here report good results baiting with pieces of fresh chicken breast. If you have a contact at a grocery you might be able to get some that are expired or not so pretty real cheap or even free.

Cats are not always on the bottom. A few years ago a friend caught two big blues on the same trip while bass fishing. The blues were chasing shad like bass would and he caught them on a topwater lure. It's also popular here to fish for them with jugs or noodles - it's easier to google it than try to explain it. Noodle lines are usually about 6-8 ft. long and fished in deeper coves in open water.

Like Dan Chamberlain above, I started targeting them when I found out the lake that I was new to was loaded with channel cats of prime eating size primarily because of all the bedrock overhangs and holes on the deep banks (spawning and hiding habitat) that I like to bass fish with plastics. Seemed that in the spring I would catch a cat or two on those banks while bass fishing. I asked around and that's when I found out about the plentiful catfish.

The best suggestion I can offer is to use circle hooks. When you learn how to use them you will hook just as many fish as with J-hooks, they stay hooked, best of all they are usually hooked in the corner of the mouth so easy to unhook with less damage to the fish so any you release will be have a better chance of survival. I've also caught a few bass of sublegal length on the shrimp and they're usually lip hooked.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I Carolina rig a dip worm loaded with Sonny's blood flavor dip bait. Fish it shallow in spring near feeding banks and deeper on structure in summer.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've caught some fair to middlin' sized ones.

[Linked Image]

I used Gizzard shad, cut into 4 big chunks. Gear was Penn 320s and Ugly StickTiger 7-ft medium action rods (6 of them), 40# Mono, with an 80 lbs leader. I would use anywhere from 8 ounce to 16 ounce sinkers, depending how the current was and how well I wanted my rods to keep spread.

Bait

[Linked Image]

Setup at night

[Linked Image]

Daytime, with a hit. The rod would just slowly go down until the drag started pulling. The slower the pull, the bigger the fish, it seemed. Just let the 8/0 circle hook do its job.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
immature, there are a lot less swallowed hooks with the circle hooks, too. I used to de-barb mine, you could get the hook out, fish weighed, and back in the river lickety-split.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Nice blue! Weight??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, that one went in the 60s.

That's the upper end of what is commonly caught in the James, I've only pulled in a couple that weighed more.

There have been several pulled in that weighed 100+, but I've never done it, and I've pretty much given up that game.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've heard the James has some decent big cats in there. We fish the Ohio, mainly. The big river is currently being destroyed by commercial pukes, who sell to pay lakes locally. They average $6 a lb., which means every slob that has a boat big enough to net is raping the waters. We're about to get those regulations changed here soon.

Once again....NICE blue!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks again.

They've allowed a few to electrofish the James, and you know, that is not selective. They're hammering the big ones pretty hard.

I just got out of it, sold my boat and gear and said da heck with it.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Damn.....sorry to hear that, but know what ya mean.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Any "cold water" tactics for November and December?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This was in river current, so it may not work in lakes, I don't know your situation.

I'd find structure, and try to place my bait just a few feet upstream, a couple in front, a couple to the right, and a couple to the left. If something didn't happen within 30 to 45 minutes, I went somewhere else. Structure could be bridge pilings, boat docks, or a pile of trees on the bottom. Anything to break the current. Check out the bottom picture I posted for an idea.

At the upstream side, just at the edge of deep(er) holes could be productive, also. They like to lay in those deep holes, and the active feeders will come up to the edge.

The outside bends in the river. I've pulled them out several times set up like that, but with big boat traffic on the river, sometimes you had to be ready to move.

Mainly structure in 20 to 50 feet of water is where I had my best luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is everything you need for blue catfish except bait. The no roll sinker, cigar float, circle hook rig is the key.

http://www.proanglertackle.com/CatfishRod.htm

Best bait is live or fresh shad. Second best would be live perch or gold fish. You can catch a few on chicken parts. Winter is the best time for the big fish.

For channel cats your bass rig works fine, 15 to 17 lb mono, treble hook under a slip bobber, stinky punch bait, chicken or beef liver. Chum the water with sour grain or blood off of the liver helps.

Catfish are not too hard to catch, fight well and make good eats!

BTW I use their medium heavy rods for blue cats with 6500 Garcia reels and saltwater spinning reels. 25 - 30 lb mono and 50 lb leader. Blue cats are not as sensitive to line size as channels.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dan,

If you want to do well catfishing, the very first thing you need to do is learn how to catch “shad” - Blues will eat cut shad, but the shad only work for about 24hrs before they lose what ever it is they have, then they don’t work anywhere near as good.

Chad Ferguson has a good site with pictures, and even a e-book on how to locate and catch shad (I got it... definitely work the 5 bucks or so).
Here is a link to the catfish edge site run by Chad - http://www.catfishedge.com/shad-catfish-bait/

Rules for catfishing -

Boat gear includes rod holders, a cast net, ...
Learn to locate the shad (the fish will be on those)
Learn how to catch them —- Get a cast net and learn to throw it.
get decent rigs — for you on ponds / lakes for blues 3-4 ounce sinker, 6/0. To 8/0 circle hooks with a 3 way swivel
Learn to pattern them.
In lakes blues run edges with flats, and are in spots throughout the year... watch the north side of the lakes in the spring that warm up first.
Master the different types of fishing (sitting vs. drifting)

Water temps are very signifiant, and so is the thermocline in lakes- The spring ‘bite” is something not to be missed on lakes (when the fish come out to chase the spawning shad in the shallows and tie on the feed bag.

After you get the swing of it, you start recording your personal bests - Here is my best blue to date, and Gordy’s Gritters (good friend of mine and catfishing buddy) monster flathead from last year.

50lb is Blue cat
[Linked Image]

75 ish pound flathead

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cut bait on the bottom with a treble hook

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for all your replies. Now that the ice is melting, I'm going to try some bank fishing. These lakes have cat...but they're small lakes (man made) so a good cast can get you to the deepest water they have.

Best to y'all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lotsa luck, big cats can be fun. So can regular sized ones on lighter gear, so hope you do good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IF you want to take a BIG Flathead, you need a bucket full of live Sunfish or BIG Goldfish (where goldfish are legal) , as "PAPA" doesn't often take cut bait.

Fish the live bait about 6" off the bottom. - After dark is BEST.
(Our largest flattie so far was 68# and pulled like being hooked to a Jeep.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 01/27/18.

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dan...a little more grist for your mill..I found for channel cats the best bait I ever used was LIVE minnows, as they are a bit more predacious than some species. Fish them on the bottom. Second best bait, for reasons known only to the catfish, was shrimp....raw.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ingwe,

Oddly enough, the channel cats will frequently hit an artificial bait. = My biggest channel to date hit a Rapala.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by satx78247
ingwe,

Oddly enough, the channel cats will frequently hit an artificial bait. = My biggest channel to date hit a Rapala.

yours, tex

Yep! Caught them on plugs AND plastic worms fished for bass!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ingwe,

A K-12 buddy of mine was in a BASS tournament & caught a channel cat on a plug. - He was disgusted with having wasted time reeling-in a lowly catfish & tossed it back. - Later he discovered that he had likely released a NEW STATE CHANNEL CAT RECORD.
(His partner said that what Tommy said then is truly "unprintable".)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had good luck on Frogs, live shad or shiners (seined) the same freshly dead (less than 12 hours) and crawlers. with crawlers you often catch a variety of fish, especially carp where I am. I never had much luck with gizzards or livers but only tried them a handfull of times. I've always wanted to try shrimp and might do that this spring. I preferred circle hooks and egg or flat sinkers. never used floats to keep them off the bottom and didn't need to in my experience. all mine have been caught in rivers or reservoirs. biggest channel cat was 30.2 lbs biggest flathead was 28 lbs even.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s a monstrous channel cat!

We haven’t been doing much good around here lately, it’s been so damn cold that our water temperature has dropped making bait tough to catch and the cat bite slow slow. Spring is right around the corner and as soon as it warms up for a week or two they’ll pick back up again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I missed the state record by 2 lbs frown I haven't caught one even close to that before or since. it was spring 1998 and I caught it on an ultralight rod, 8 lb test using a plain hook and 3/8 egg sinker and 3 dead fathead minnows. biggest not including that one were about 18-20 lbs and a lot in the 6-12lb range. good eaters.
I miss walking out the backdoor a few hundred yards and catching catfish all night along the river.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Some very good info on this thread. I would add one of my favorite ways is to drift in a slow river with no weight, or will add just enough weight to bounce on the bottom. Then I use the trolling motor to keep the boat in the right position. Once we find fish we will redrift the same area. Very productive.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.