Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Have been somewhat considering the purchase of an old Willy's. It interests me beyond a way too overpriced UTV.

Would love any input y'all can offer.

Last edited by Reloder28; 11/05/17.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sold my Jeep (73 CJ5) very soon after buying quads.
Quads / UTV's are way more comfortable.
A day off road in a jeep, (or pickup, for that matter) is a long dang day.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they can nickle and dime ya to death. but neat little vehicles. check it over real careful.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I went with a Suzuki Samurai, parts are everywhere and they are easy to work on if anything does happen. So far mine has been very reliable.

I had an old Willy's Jeep and so did my papaw, uncomfortable and it was constantly something to work on.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We had a 79 Jeep CJ5 that we bought new in 1978. Sold it a couple years ago. In 2008 we bought a 4WD John Deere Gator and rarely used the Jeep after that. Like mcmurphrjk said the Gator is much more comfortable riding and easier to get in and out. Back in the day the Jeep was a great vehicle for getting into rough country. Today there are better options in my opinion.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rem141r
they can nickle and dime ya to death. but neat little vehicles. check it over real careful.
s

This! ^^^^^ I sold my 1942 Ford GPW about 3 years ago with no regrets!! It was about 90% restored. But pretty combat ready! Had a M1919 MG mount and bustle basket in place. Was fun while it lasted!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Found a pic. Texas Military Forces weekend at Camp Mabry Tx. . About 2009. Me on radio in passenger seat.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/05/17.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bob, my nephew you met does the Military Reenactment there at Camp Mabry with that group of Reenacters. He got to drive the Tank at their last gig. He was on really excited about the Tank drive!
I've been there the last couple of years for their big yearly show they put on and it's well worth seeing for those who have never attended. It's free to the Public and they have a great little Museum there that's really nice too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember that kid, Neal! Fine young man. He used to come by and see me at the shop. I see Jeff Hunt, museum curator has a new book out on the 15 days after Gettysburg.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My one and only Jeep was a '50 CJ3A. I rebuilt the flathead motor and replaced the clutch. I drove it for 4 or 5 years before trading it for a 4x4 that didn't have to be towed to the hills. It was pretty dinged up but I sprayed it with gray primer and it improved the looks 200%. Darn thing would go into a lot of places and amazingly, it always came back out again, too. I wish I had some pics of it.

One time 3 of us were sage hen hunting. My BIL was shotgun and a friend was in the back seat. We went down a short steep hill to a creek crossing. I pushed on the brake and it just squished to the floor. I barely had time to yell 'hang on!' before we hit the creek. The guy in back came over the roll bar and was hanging upside down between us in the front seat. It had the old single brake cylinder and had blown a brake line. When 1 went, they all went.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds like I may be better off with the Honda Pioneer 1000 I've been pining for. Holy cow, they cost a lot!

Last edited by Reloder28; 11/06/17.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
When I showed up in my desert hunting zone, the older guys with highly modified Jeeps were envious of my 2000 Wrangler in spite of it's standard tires and suspension. It seems they had learned the hard way that a harsh ride while off roading is very tiresome. The Wranglers don't have that problem. E

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had several Jeeps. Current one is a '64 CJ5. I am the second owner and I paid $3,500 for it. Way cheaper than the new side by sides. But, it is slower, and the ride is WAY rougher. Just gotta go slow and it will get you out of anything you can get into. I had to rebuild my carb in elk camp this year (keep a spare rebuild kit in the tool box) because the dang ethanol gas ate up the carb. But, other than that, I haven't had any issues with this one.

I've got a Honda Pioneer and a John Deere SxS at work, and I really like them. But, I'm not going to get rid of my old Jeep any time soon. But, that's mainly because I'm too cheap to pay the kind of money that the new SxS's are going for.

I changed the wipers from vacuum to electric, put on new alternator and a hi-torque starter. A place called Kaiserwillys.com has pretty much all of the parts you might need for one.

[Linked Image]

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That must be some impressive Willy if it needs its own Jeep.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
When I showed up in my desert hunting zone, the older guys with highly modified Jeeps were envious of my 2000 Wrangler in spite of it's standard tires and suspension. It seems they had learned the hard way that a harsh ride while off roading is very tiresome. The Wranglers don't have that problem. E

So, what changed to make such a difference in suspension?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's 1 thing that makes the UTV's so popular. They have a very long suspension travel and those 7lb low pressure tires. They ride far better than any Jeep ever did. You can drive one all day on very rough roads and enjoy it all.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

So, what changed to make such a difference in suspension?

Probably referring to the change from leaf springs to coil springs (happened when the TJ was introduced in '97). Does provide a softer ride, but still no comparison to the UTV's.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
This has been very enlightening. I am glad I asked and very thankful for the input.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
UTV's are expensive, to be sure. However, by the time you add front and rear lockers, etc. to a Jeep, you might be getting close to the price of one. They come from the factory with all that stuff. However, you can't really make a UTV street legal, even with lights and a horn. It can't be street legal unless it passes all the safety and emission tests. Old Jeeps are exempt because of their age.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you do buy one check the floor board area everywhere for pinhole rust issues. The carb on the stock one I had years ago was prone to being unusable.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a 47, they are fun. It will need work I’m sure. They are geared low.

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
A used Jeep will depreciate very little the same can't be said for a new side by side. The samurai is the modern equivalent of an old Jeep and an awesome off-road vehicle. They use very low geared axles and an overdrive in the transfer case for highway speed yet give you great low range tons of accessories available and once again little depreciation as it's already used when you buy it. 2 years ago everyone in their side-by-side was either covered in mud or couldn't see out the windows during elk season doors with roll-up windows and windshield washers and wipers are a big Plus

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJD
A used Jeep will depreciate very little the same can't be said for a new side by side.

This^^

Bought a 1997 TJ Sport new for around $17,000. Just sold it last month (20 years old) for $9,000 cash to the first guy that looked at it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My jeep is a 1986 CJ7 and have thought about selling it many times for a UTV but something always stops me.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.