Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been considering a .280 or .280 AI for quite some time. I’ve seen a few 1909 Argentine and K98 Mauser builds that were quite nicely built. Price range for such rifles was between about $900.00 to about $1,700.00. I’m just fishing here, but as I was looking into these two calibers I looked into many other 7mm cartridges. Despite the fact that I favor classic cartridges and I’m biased against short actions, ultra mags, super-duper magnums, etc., I began to read about the 7mm SAUM. Based upon what I read, this chambering seems to me like an excellent cartridge, useful for deer sized game up to moose at both “normal” hunting ranges and well beyond. Although I have never attempted to shoot at such distances, it’s nice to know that this cartridge is capable when I’m ready to start punching paper at long range.

In a departure from my “classic” rifle preferences, I was thinking about a hyper-accurate build including the following:

- Chambering: 7mm SAUM
- Action: American Rifle Co. (ARC) Mausingfield action (action must be CRF)
- Barrel: Kreiger? 1:8 twist w/ savage barrel nut
- Stock: 3 color GAP
- Bottom metal: ?
- Trigger: Timney
- Magazines: Alpha Industries Type 4

I feel pretty confident I could screw all this together myself, but I’d need to take it to a gunsmith to set the head space.

I'm sure I'd be happy with a .280 or .280 AI, but what say you about this whole idea?

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/06/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HN,
Im in the process right now of trying to tweek a 7mm SAUM in a 17 pound 1000 yard BR rifle.
Its throated for 195g Berger EOLs and 197g SMKs.
Its been a challenge.
SO far its beating me.
I spent many years carrying a 280 AI for BG hunting.
My take is that the 280 AI would be alot more forgiving to deal with.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You have a PM.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
dave7mm: Thanks for the information. I'm sure you're correct regarding the .280 AI. I know you said your rifle is throated for the 195g Berger, but have you tried the 183g MKs? Check out this article: 7mm RSAUM

Doc: received and replied, thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Go with the .280 Rem.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I do love the 7 SAUM.

Last edited by N2TRKYS; 11/06/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ken: That would certainly be easier... and cheaper.

- Del Gue
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If a long action I would go 280AI if a short action I would go 7 WSM just for the slightly larger case. But I stayed traditional with the AI and a 7RM.
The SAUM could be more accurate but hard to prove in a hunting rifle. Brass is sure a lot easier to find for the AI. If I wanted a real light weight almost magnum then the SAUM would get the nod. What ever you build it will be a good one with those components. Still on the fence about inherently accurate cases but a 30 degree shoulder and a shorter powder column along with a longer neck seem to be the ticket. The 280 AI has all those except the shorter powder column. If you wanted to get esoteric and had to have the 30 degree shoulder then go 280 RCBS.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Ken: That would certainly be easier... and cheaper.

Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tejano: I read that the SAUM is more efficient than the WSM. DocEd mentioned that SAUM brass is scarce. I understand that WSM brass is even more difficult to find. Be that as it may, I think I mentioned that I strongly favor classic cartridges. I also favor classic rifles - for me, that means a long-action CRF, walnut and blued steel. This whole exercise was more about me breaking from my historic preferences and creating a thoroughly "modern" rifle chambered in a "modern" cartridge. I view such a rifle as being in a different class as those I typically prefer - not necessarily a better class - but in my view, a different class all together. I hate the term "tactical," but that term approaches my definition of a "modern" rifle - certainly not a dedicated benchrest rifle, but not a dedicated hunting rifle either. Although such a rifle could certainly be successfully used for hunting, I kinda' view it as more of a long-range/all purpose firearm. I was/am mainly interested in what the members here on the 'fire, who have experience using and/or building such rifles thought of my component choices and what I could expect in terms of weight, ergonomics and accuracy. Perhaps I was unclear in my original post.

Regarding cartridge choices, I do favor the classics - generally more tapered, which is why I like the .280 and the 7x64 Brenneke, but I would definitely consider the .280 AI. The 7x64 Brenneke is probably too similar to the .280 and too rare here in the U.S. to seriously consider.

- Del Gue
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If going 280 is there any reason not to go AI? Is brass available, factory loads available, can shoot standard 280 through it if needed - and pretty damn accurate too. Can get more performance from it than the standard, or slow it down if it shoots better that way. What is the downside?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Taco: No downside. All depends on what I can find when I'm ready.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m hoping to have Beanland or GAP start one for me next year. Defiance Deviant ultralight sheep hunter, Bartlein 2b, Manners SL or Mcmillan Hunters Edge stock. Maybe Hawkins alloy bottom metal.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber7man: That sounds awesome. Have you considered the ARC Mausingfield action?

- Del Gue
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
7 saum brass from norma is usually easy to get, just got some from midsouth about month ago, I love mine but do go with some sort of center feed, Ptg has 2 option of that bdl center feed and dbm bottom metal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Kimber7man: That sounds awesome. Have you considered the ARC Mausingfield action?

Yes but I just prefer the Defiance.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a SAUM for a while, it is an excellent cartridge, the only reason I don't still have it is I had issues with the rifle it was chambered in. It was a Remington 700 with feeding issues, but it shot 1/2 MOA out of the box. I would choose it over a WSM because it fits better in a short action. The WSM doesn't have enough more powder capacity to make enough enough difference to notice in the field.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
jotrott: Duly noted.

- Del Gue
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
7 wsm brass should be much easier to source now that hornady is going to be producing it ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No but I did put some time in with the 180g Berger hybrid.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.